Overlapping Generations

by JRK 66 Replies latest jw friends

• waton
    waton
    I also think this overlapping generation idea was something that allows them to keep appointing younger and younger people to the Governing Body.

Shall we consider the ages involved of these overlapping groups?

D. Splane used the example of F. Franz, who died in 1992, 78 years after 1914. A similarly aged anointed, ( or older as D.S mentioned in the video), would live into the 2070s.

Wt bases the overlapping generation idea on Ex. 1:6, mentioning "Joseph,---- and that whole generation", and he himself lived to 110 years old; but even that is not enough for wt, they have to add his overlapping generation to it. So wt has a group overlapping a 110 year old as the only scriptural bases for their current light. Not making light of this, but

wt has come up with a 200 year period of invisible 1914-19 rulers waiting for the over lappers to die and join them.

Younger people are not going to fix that. A fix that is unfixable.

wt generated one generous generation. ~ 200 years, scripturally.

• NU-LYTE
    NU-LYTE

I might actually agree with some of that , the whole end times was based on Josephs day for a year which the fall of Judah is the center of debate on that one , I could also go with the 110 year generation attributed to Joseph but don't think I buy the over lapping duel generation . They made 1914 fit with other prophesy , the 3.5 days prophesying then the shut down of the WTBTS to be later resurrected all that stuff no one else seems to get with any sort of understanding , I did read the grand climax book . Like I said I did know a second genner but he never claims any sort of special insight , just toes the WTBTS line , I would expect them to have some sort of paranormal experiences but they only claim it's a feeling of knowing if you are a boy or a girl . The bible makes it sound way more about experiencing unbelievable sightings and experiences . sorry it was jacob and the day for a year , never heard them say joseph before on this dogma

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Lets face it folks the WTS had to come up with some more bullshit to cover their previous bullshit doctrine of 1914.

If they were to come out and be honest and say the previous leaders had made a misguided mistake in creating the 1914 doctrine, that would potentially nullify the organization self proclamation that they were preaching and teaching a true version of the Gospel since that year, the last 80 years up to 1995.

It would simply be too damaging since this doctrine was held onto vigorously for decades . People literally had preached this all their lives pioneering and so forth.

You might even say this doctrines built the foundation of the organization as it stands today. To be accurate Jesus said "This Generation" a non plural statement.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Searcher” posted: Job 42:1616 And Job continued living after this a hundred and forty years and came to see his sons and his grandsonsfour generations. (144 divided by 4 = 36 years)

So, is the Bible lying?

• cha ching
    cha ching

(Numbers 32:13) 13 So Jehovah’s anger blazed against Israel and he made them wander about in the wilderness forty years, until all the generation that was doing evil in the eyes of Jehovah came to their end.

(Deuteronomy 2:14) . . .And the days that we walked from Ka´desh-bar´ne·a until we crossed the torrent valley of Ze´red were thirty-eight years, until all the generation of the men of war had come to their end from the midst of the camp, just as Jehovah had sworn to them.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Switch it up, switch it up... WT just changes the lingo when necessary, look what they said in 1980, "you have to be 10 to remember".... they later changed that too!

*** w80 10/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers *** Made 2 04 14

Questions From Readers

In speaking of “the sign of [his] presence and of the conclusion of the system of things,” Jesus said to his disciples: “Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.” (Matt. 24:3, 34) How are we to understand this?

This prophecy, uttered in the year 33 C.E., had a notable typical fulfillment up until the year 70 C.E., (do the math, less than 40 years!) when the Jewish system of things was destroyed, and Jerusalem’s temple was thrown down, ‘not a stone being left upon a stone.’ In Jerusalem alone 1,100,000 Jews perished, according to the historian Josephus. Although many of Jesus’ early disciples had died in the persecutions up until that time, some of the generation that had been with Jesus and had witnessed his mighty works remained also to see the end of that “conclusion of the system of things.” (Matt. 24:2, 3) They were persons of Jesus’ generation, his contemporaries.

However, from Jesus’ prophecy we understand that his words are to have a later, major fulfillment, culminating in “great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again.” This “great tribulation” is to embrace not just a Jewish “system of things” but the entire world of mankind, yes, “all the nations” to whom Jehovah’s Witnesses must ‘preach this good news of the kingdom before the end comes.’ The “pangs of distress” that began to afflict this earth, starting with World War I, show that Jesus’ “sign” is having its great antitypical fulfillment from 1914 onward.—Matt. 24:3-8, 14, 21. (Hmmm it's 104 years from 1914)

What, then, is the “generation” that “will by no means pass away until all these things occur”? It does not refer to a period of time, which some have tried to interpret as 30, 40, 70 or even 120 years, but, rather, it refers to people, the people living at the “beginning of pangs of distress” for this condemned world system. It is the generation of people who saw the catastrophic events that broke forth in connection with World War I from 1914 onward.

As indicated by an article on page 56 of U.S. News & World Report of January 14, 1980, “If you assume that 10 is the age at which an event creates a lasting impression on a person’s memory,” then there are today more than 13 million Americans who have a “recollection of World War I.”

And if the wicked system of this world survived until the turn of the century, which is highly improbable in view of world trends and the fulfillment of Bible prophecy, there would still be survivors of the World War I generation. However, the fact that their number is dwindling is one more indication that “the conclusion of the system of things” is moving fast toward its end.

In this connection, the magazine The Economist of March 15, 1980, gave an interesting review of a book entitled “The Generation of 1914” by Robert Wohl. It made this significant remark: “Eventually Mr. Wohl voices his own opinions about the generation of 1914. In a terse and condensed last chapter he suggests that generations are not mathematically definable in terms of numbers of years, but cluster around major historical crises, of which the first world war is the supreme example.” This lines up very well with the Scriptural viewpoint that Jehovah’s Witnesses take on “the generation of 1914.”

Yes, there was a generation of people that was living in 1914, and that saw the major historical changes from an era of comparative tranquillity to the present era of war, lawlessness and ruination. Many who are now Jehovah’s Witnesses were among them. Truly, 1914 marked “the supreme example” of change, for that year set in motion the foretold “beginning of pangs of distress” among the nations. Many persons are still alive who can tell us how catastrophically conditions on earth changed in the year 1914. And the world continues to plunge into worse and worse trouble. We can be happy, therefore, for Jesus’ assurance that there will be survivors of “the generation of 1914”—that this generation will not have completely passed away—when the “great tribulation” rings down the curtain on this wicked world system.

g71 10/8 pg 26,27

"The generation living in 1914 when ‘these things started to occur’ has now grown old. In the more than half a century that has passed, that generation’s numbers have considerably diminished. Yet the “all things” foretold by Jesus for our day must occur fully before ‘this generation passes completely away.’ That means that the due time for their full occurrence must be near at hand, very close.

All the other features of Jesus’ prophecy have now come true with startling accuracy. We need not doubt that he spoke inspired truth when he said that the generation seeing the start of this “time of the end” will also see its windup. That will mean the end of the present unsatisfying, selfish, oppressive old order and the introduction of God’s righteous, refreshing new order."

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

All the other features of Jesus’ prophecy have now come true with startling accuracy.

As in the signs of these times , not really the WTS proclaims this for their own means and sustenance, historical facts prove differently.

The reason all the other Christian based faiths didn't proclaim something special about 1914 is because its a false doctrine, totally against Jesus's instructions in preaching the new order or kingdom to come.

• waton
    waton

(c) BG.

1980, "you have to be 10 to remember".... they later changed that too!

The elephant in the room is that Jesus said the generation would pass away not sooner, but later, after all these things, including the destruction, have come to pass, into the past. so

1) it could not be the wt other sheep, they are promised never to die. (Funny, sheep are kept to do just that).

2) it could not be the wt anointed, because they are to die sooner rather than later, at the beginning of the GT, (not after the end). so:

it can not be wt, either way. never has been.

Hopefully life will go on, generation after generation, like the above endless surface. so:

ration your genes well, pass them on to the next generation! to be endless! I told a deserving young couple today.

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

"My JW wife says she takes some things with a pinch of salt. She knows some teachings are BS, but still wholeheartedly believes they are right about most things."

this statement by her is actually the opposite of what the GB has been teaching for years- We were indoctrinated to believe all or nothing- we were supposed to love jah with our whole heart soul etc etc. the reason we can't eat the candy bar in the gutter cuz it was in the gutter- remember that gem to teach the bible student why we couldn't celebrate pagan holidays..??

As Jws u can't believe that part of the truth is the truth- we were supposed to believe and teach it all as truth- overlapping generation teaching immediately had the friends calculating the new finish line date for the end, and had the friends who were already done with all the BS saying no thanks

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Let it be understood that the doctrines the WTS devised were to allure people to their literature and the organization, ironically as it is the WTS was clearly a false prophet yet still proclaimed that Jehovah had chosen them exclusively in 1919.

They knew what they were doing and what would result of their propagations .

If they were wrong or shown wrong well as they say " we are imperfect men too "

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit