The absolute insanity that religion breeds

by LoveUniHateExams 38 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

However good certain religious principles may or may not be, there seems to be complete insanity that only religion breeds.

A Buddhist monk in Thailand has apparently chopped off his own head to give himself 'good luck' in the afterlife.

Udder Accessories | Redbubble

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9488127/Buddhist-monk-chops-head-guillotine-Buddha.html

• Badfish
    Badfish

All religions are either earning rewards in the next life though good deeds/refraining from evil (i.e. JWs), or earning rewards now (i.e. Joel Osteen’s false prosperity gospel).

Except real Christianity, which has nothing to do with your own works but everything to do with what Jesus has done, where salvation is a free gift that cannot be earned.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

but everything to do with what Jesus has done, where salvation is a free

PROVE that salvation by a man who died thousands of years ago is a real thing. Show the EVIDENCE!

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Yes it does, mostly due to the fact that all religions in one way or another were devised by fictional mythological story telling based from human ignorance .

Some are more structured to be more unaccepted to known reality derived from evidence of truth and knowledge, creating in its place fear, superstition and ignorance.

• Badfish
    Badfish
    PROVE that salvation by a man who died thousands of years ago is a real thing. Show the EVIDENCE!
    There is plenty of eyewitness testimony that establishes it. For example:

3For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5and that He appeared to Cephasa and then to the Twelve. 6After that, He appeared to more than five hundred brothers at once, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7Then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles. 8And last of all He appeared to me also, as to one of untimely birth.“ (1 Corinthians 15:3-8)

Of course, it’s up to you as to whether or not you believe the evidence (well not really, because if God hasn’t enabled you to believe, you will not believe).

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Science has brought humanity out of ignorance, fear and superstition to humanity's own benefit.

Thank god for science

If Scientists Showed Up at Your Doorstep Like Jehovah's Witnesses… | Hemant  Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Nietzsche penned in the mid 1800s that rationality killed God. He also wrote that it would cause 2 pathologies, both of which we are seeing the full effect today (utopianism through totalitarian government and nihilism). The human brain is wired for religion. Even antitheism using science has a crutch is a form of religion because it requires belief (e.g. "The supernatural is not real. I do not know what caused this event, but I am sure (i.e. I believe, I have faith) science one day will explain it away.")

I find the story posted sad. I practice Buddhism. Buddhism is not a religion. Siddhartha Gautama, the first Buddha ("Enlightened One") never claimed to be a god and refused to speak about whether gods exist or not. What this monk did is not part of Buddhism. Buddhism is about ending human suffering. Buddhism is acknowledging the only person who can save us is our self.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@truth_be_known

Whether the monk practised Buddhism or not, I don't think that is the point.

The monk clearly had some kind of religious belief. And it only seems to be religious belief that breeds this kind of lunacy.

You don't see atheists or agnostics cutting their own heads off.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Buddhism is acknowledging the only person who can save us is our self.

Correct but mankind needs science and knowledge to help us on a path toward a better living experience.

One can still appreciate the ideology of what Buddhism represents though .

• pistolpete
    pistolpete
    Badfish

There is plenty of eyewitness testimony that establishes it. For example:.....After that, He appeared to more than five hundred brothers at once,

Can you imagine if I was accused of murdering an entire family and was arrested for a crime I didn't commit. And when my Court date finally arrived and I sat before a Judge and Jury and defended myself by saying;

"I have five hundred Witnesses who can testify I didn't commit the crime"

And the Judge says; "Name the Witnesses"

And I say; "I don't know or have their names"

And the Judge says; "Where do they live?"

And I say; "I have no idea where they live."

And Judge says; "Where are the 500 witnesses?"

And I say; "They Been dead for over 2000 years."

WHAT DO YOU THINK THE JUDGE AND JURY WILL DO?

Of course, it’s up to you as to whether or not you believe the evidence (well not really, because if God hasn’t enabled you to believe, you will not believe).

What kind of a God who calls himself "Not Partial" ---enable some to believe and some not to believe?"

Answer; A god who is prejudice!

Prejudice is an affective feeling towards a person based on their perceived group membership

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit