Supreme Court Ruling Thursday on Grounds of Privacy

by ninecharger 24 Replies latest jw friends

• ninecharger
    ninecharger

It is one thing to say this covers the intrusion on a citizen's right - but that right to privacy is a citizen's right whoever is seeking to invade it whether the US Government or the WBTS.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I do believe that very argument is being made in some European countries right now, in regards to the blood issue; the Witnesses are being charged with violating the human rights of their members.

The US, however, has a very strong history of case-law indicating that the protections of the bill of rights apply exclusively to government. Federal and state civil rights laws, OTOH, do apply to private entities; their impact on religious entities, however, is very limited because of the freedom of religion clause of the First Amendment.

• Francois
    Francois

Well hell, they might as well go ahead and charge every male publisher with rape. We gots the equipment after all.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Nine,

It is one thing to say this covers the intrusion on a citizen's right - but that right to privacy is a citizen's right whoever is seeking to invade it whether the US Government or the WBTS.

I think the courts would view membership in the Society as an invitation to the Society to intrude on privacy, whether that's true or not.

I support the courts ruling on this issue, what two CONSENTING ADULT HUMANS do in their bedroom is no one elses business. However, the ruling could get tricky in the future. At what point does freedom of religion and privacy rights cross? If we say that the WTBTS can't toss out those they find out are homosexual, do we next say they can't throw out someone who is openly homosexual? At what point do we draw the line. Are gay marriages next? If they are allowed, will Churches be forced to wed homosexuals? Will church offices be forced to hire openly homosexual office workers, etc? Does the conservative Baptist couple have to let a room at their Bed and Breakfast to an openly gay couple? When rights start to cross one another, there can be some serious issues.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Separation of Church & State dictates that this law really has nothing to do with the JW's. I mean, a personal can be disfellowshipped for gambling, smoking, fornication, adultery, causing disension, etc. etc., but none of these actions are "illegal" (for the most part). Once you've made your dedication through baptism to that organization, you are bound by their laws. Churches laws generally have much higher "moral" grounds, and I haven't heard of to many cases where someone was able to sue the WBTS for violating their civil rights. They make an individual choice to be part of this organization.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

This decision can have no effect on the behavior of any religious group. I can't imagine the Watch Tower will do anything other than Fred Phelps--fulminate, fulminate, fulminate. There will be lots of ugly stuff in the media. And the constitution doesn't protect any of us from that.

• SylentKnyght
    SylentKnyght

"At present, the secret elders book says that if the elders know a man stayed overnight in the home of a homosexual, he can be disfellowshipped. (Whether they can prove sex took place is not relevant.) Or if a man and woman stay overnight in the same house in "incriminating circumstances" the elders can decide to disfellowship, even in the absence of concrete evidence."

First of all, I despise some of the teachings and social behavior of this group. I can also see where over time, they have changed thier social attitudes to accomodate the environment/time period they find themselves in. What caught my eye here is the existence of a "Secret Elders Book" I am curious as to how one might aquire an actualy copy of the book to look at and ofcourse scrutinize :) Anyone who can help is officially the man, or the woman if the case may be :)

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Note: If you belong to the Borg-Org, you agree to WHATEVER THEY SAY IS RIGHT AND GOOD IN THE EYES OF GOD AND EVERYTHING ELSE.

WHAT A REAL LIFE "BORG"

• ninecharger
    ninecharger

The secret elders book is called "Shepherding the Flock" or something like that. Go to www.watchthetower.com for a link to where it has been posted.

I personally know of cases where elders have spied at all hours of the day and night on people they want to nail.

• ninecharger
    ninecharger

The ruling on the Boer v WT case in Canada could set a precedent if the courts in US follow a similar line of reasoning.

PS how the hell do I just add to a post instead of putting a new one up when I think of something else?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit