US violent crimes and murders rose in 2016, the FBI says

by Simon 52 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

I can't remember the exact topic but I think a few people predicted the same thing - that the BLM movement would cause an increase in violent deaths of young black men, ultimately doing more harm than good.

And so it has: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41391333

An 8.6% rise in the homicide rate is pretty appalling by any standard unless it started at very low levels, which we know it didn't.

This is why I object to movements based on false premises and invented media lies / selective coverage. The people who suffer the most are not the ones marching in the streets. This is a mess that was invented and promoted by the media and the Obama administration. It's now being perpetuated in the form of the ridiculous "don't stand for the anthem" protests in the NFL.

The fact is, as it always has been, that the police are not the biggest threat to the black community as some like to make out. It's going to be a hard truth to admit.

There is simply no solution now. BLM will not step down and say "oh, we were wrong and stupid" and the police cannot clear up the mess by hugging it better. What will be needed? A clampdown on those committing crime. Which means they finally get the narrative they wanted - more black people incarcerated. Maybe that was the point?

• sir82
    sir82

Maybe I read it too fast, but where does the article draw a connection between BLM and the reported increase in violent crime?

• Simon
    Simon

It doesn't, but I think there is a clear link between forcing police out of certain areas and making them hesitant to police certain sections of society and those same areas seeing huge increases in violence.

How do you explain it? Global warming? Gender pronoun misuse?

• sir82
    sir82

How do I explain an increase in violent crime?

Seems like there may be a few thousand possible causes, but the first ones that come to mind are:

-- Economic desperation

-- Increased drug abuse (opioid overdose epidemic in USA)

-- Mental / emotional disorders

-- Overpopulation in certain areas with a corresponding shortage of resources to support the population

-- Lack of familial closeness; gangs provide missing sense of "belonging"

I could go on, but I think you get the picture. It strikes me as simplistic to draw an exclusive cause & effect relationship between "BLM" and "short term (so far anyway) increase in crime"

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    This is why I object to movements based on false premises and invented media lies / selective coverage.

Amen to that

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

The leftists are currently trying their best to demonize the police/us government and suck up to any group willing to promote violence. I am not the least bit surprised of this result and one only need to look at what is happening in major European cities to see where this path leads.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

It strikes me as simplistic to draw an exclusive cause & effect relationship between "BLM" and "short term (so far anyway) increase in crime" - I don't think Simon's trying to draw an exclusive link between BLM and an increase in crime.

Rather, I think he's trying to point out how much of a factor a violent group like BLM is re this apparent increase in crime.

Bringing up mental illness, overpopulation, etc., you seem keen to downplay this factor.

• Simon
    Simon

So you honestly think "overpopulation" has a more measurable effect on violent crime than the fact that there is now often less policing in certain neighbourhoods as a direct result of BLM campaigning?

The attempt to find any-other-explanation and clutch at straws instead of accepting the bleeding obvious is what puts many people off the illiberal and illogical left.

It comes down to whether having fewer police in certain communities helps to reduce deaths caused by the police vs increase deaths because the police aren't there. That's why having a grasp of reality helps because if we look at the stats we see the truth. The increase in deaths is a direct result of people failing and refusing to do that.

Note this is up to 2015, current figures will be significantly worse:

• sir82
    sir82

I think he's trying to point out how much of a factor a violent group like BLM is re this apparent increase in crime.

Based on what? I see no link, no studies, no nothing, drawing a line between BLM and increased crime.

I'm not defending them, I'm just pointing out that the conclusion does not follow from anything shown on this thread, aside from "here's what I think".

Which is fine, it's wonderful to have opinions & express them, there's just simply no evidence for the conclusion.

I don't think Simon's trying to draw an exclusive link between BLM and an increase in crime.

the BLM movement would cause an increase in violent deaths of young black men, ultimately doing more harm than good.

I don't see any reason besides BLM given for the increase in violent crime.

• sir82
    sir82

So you honestly think "overpopulation" has a more measurable effect on violent crime than the fact that there is less policing in certain neighbourhoods?

I didn't say "more" - you asked for possible reasons for an increase in crime; I listed a handful off the top of my head.

My point is that there are many factors which could - could! lead to increase in crime. To say it is increased all over, primarily due to a single factor, is, IMO, shortsighted.

I haven't seen any studies correlating "less policing in certain neighborhoods" to "increase in crime". I haven't even seen any evidence that there is "less policing in certain neighborhoods".

Maybe I'm wrong - if so, show me the evidence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit