Useless Majors

by Sea Breeze 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

On the subject of dance - here's how rugby training is going in New Zealand. Scary lot. I am sure I have seen that look on the face of some COs wives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0VDGV4bw8g

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Anna, I think I have already been out a bit too far on the ice pond with this thread. I'm skating back on thin ice to have tea with BettyHumpter.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

You could well debate just how relevant a lot of academic qualifications are, but what is undeniable is the way those are currently preferred over practical experience.

I certainly see it all the time!

Persons like myself, with 40+ years of industry experience, repeatedly get sidelined by some whippersnapper straight out of university; somebody with a string of bachelor degrees to their name, but whom hardly know how to switch on a digital multimeter.

• BettyHumpter
    BettyHumpter

"Persons like myself, with 40+ years of industry experience, repeatedly get sidelined by some whippersnapper straight out of university"

I've never been in the military but have often wondered how a similar scenario plays out in the minds of enlisted men vs junior officers. You know, some sergeant who's been in for 20 years, perhaps even in combat, is technically subordinate to a 22 year old second lieutenant fresh out of college.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

People always knock philosophy as being useless - Philosophy is good, as long as it tells you how to think, not what to think.

Ricky Gervais studied philosophy at UCL, and he can think critically, hold a conversation, debate in an argument, etc.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

GB never got qualified at Uni but came from right families. Part of a structure with its own schools/educational program.

Once in position plenty of gaslighting comes from the platform along with the message 'do more, do better. Is that your best? Keep going.'

How does that make you feel? Does it make you feel you have to do something for them to get approval? If so, what has made you think you need their approval?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit