Do you still go to meetings?

by NikL 27 Replies latest jw friends

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I too go to the meetings but my attendance frequency is shifting from going to most meetings to skipping most meetings. I go when there is a subject that could affect my childĀ“s reasoning into submission or when there is a controversial subject that I know will come up in conversation with my wife.

i give to my wife. She would rather go to every meeting but she does see the faults in the doctrines. Although this faults do not present a problem in her view, she could go as far as taking detailed notes of the meetings if I ask her for such favors and I can trust that she is not leaving out anything bad.

• AnonVet
    AnonVet

I try to avoid them. I have a lot of projects going on and like to have that as an excuse. However, when I have nothing going on, about half the time I'll just stay at home. The other half I'll go. I do it for my spouse. Try to keep some peace in the family and maintain a sense among those in the congregation that I'm still trying to make an effort.

I'd hate for others to shun my spouse because they equate my spouse to my actions.

So, yeah, I sit there and just think and think, as the OP stated. I also relate in that I feel as if I have nothing in common with these nuts that go there. And the occasional few that are in our circle of friends, I have to be very careful with what I say. Just bite my tongue.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Have not been in over 3 years. We figured out that the JW's really don't care about you. They may be pleasant to you and associate with you UNTIL you no longer attend. That is not friendship.

As for family (in our case)...we are not quite "spiritual" enough to be in their presence.

I will never enter a Kingdom Hall again. NEVER!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

We no longer attend at all. Began the "fade" about 5 years ago with resigning positions. Relocated & changed Congs and slacked off with meetings and Field Circus and finally quit completely after a year of slowing down and finally did not attend 2016 Memorial (OH MY!), though we just tell those close who ask that we went "over there" to the other Cong.

On more than one occasion we have discussed going back just for the "social aspect" or association. We still like most of the JWs we know, and they are all friendly towards us (esp if they are not aware we are now slackers). Most recently we attended a funeral at the old Cong and most were friendly (esp the R&F that would not be "in the know" about our issues and reasons for fading). But we have discussed that we simply don't think we could go and sit and listen to all that bullshit. It's just intolerable. And there are better things to do in life. It is very difficult to replace all of those "automatic, though conditional, friends". . . . Doc

• steve2
    steve2

I knew when I left the Hall one night in the early1980s that I would never again step foot in a kingdom hall. And I haven't.

Everyone's situation is different.

If your spouse is still in, there's something to be said for 'playing the game'. Even so, one person may vow never to go back, whilst another might consider it no big deal for the sake of peace.

The important thing is to know what your own personal boundary as in, "This far I shall go for the sake of peace - but no further".

• Londo111
    Londo111

It's been over four years since I've been to a meeting.

It's great! :)

• undercover
    undercover

Haven't been to a meeting in 15 years... not counting Memorials. I have gone to them off and on, some years, yes, some years, no.

As Memorials go, one hour a year doesn't really bother me, and it's a dog and pony show, not the real cult indoctrination style meeting. I can deal with that. But I refuse to go back to regular meetings or conventions. Done and done.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I would never go back to the meetings unless there was a million quid in it for me. I still go to evensong at Peterborough Cathedral even as an atheist. I love the choir and keyboard sound...very uplifting. I'm sorry god stopped existing...kinda miss the old buggah!

• NikL
    NikL

@ punkofnice

I've heard that is a beautiful Cathedral. Nothing like that in my neck of the woods. I've often dream t of visiting your island but so far the only time I was there I was on a layover at Gatwick for an hour

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Hell no! It's worth every sacrifice too!

Those meeting are such a soul sucker. Screw that!!!! I'd rather wear a pair of poopy underwear to my wedding than to go to another one of those damn meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit