My first meeting after becoming an "apostate"

by Winston Smith :>D 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Hamas
    Hamas
    Smiling at the KH, a sure sign that your not a JW I guess.

Haha! True.

• Jesika
    Jesika

Welcome to the board!!!

• startingover
    startingover

Winston,

From my experience, you should prepare yourself for the possibility that your wife won't see things as you now are. When I first discovered the "truth" I couldn't wait to share it with my wife. I was sure she would see what I saw when I shared my newfound information with her. How could she not? It was so clear to me. Not the case though, in fact she said it strengthened her faith, made her more sure that she was on the right course.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to you and hopefully she doesn't feel the need to turn you in to the elders. That just happened to a close friend of mine, and because of his wife's actions he had to disassociate himself (to avoid being df'd). Even though I can't talk to my wife about this stuff anymore, at least she is smart enough to keep her mouth shut.

Keep us posted.

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Hi all,

I would really like to take the time to thank all of you personally for your posts, but I’m at work and don’t have the time, sorry. But please know that I appreciate all of your comments!

I want to address startingover’s comments because these are the most pressing to me right now.

“you should prepare yourself for the possibility that your wife won't see things as you now are.”

Thank you for that. I guess my mind set is that I’m, “hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.”

I hope that’s not too pessimistic. But she is rabidly loyal to the WTS/Jehovah, as it has been her only real family over the years. And she is a very emotionally motivated person. And while she is intelligent and insightful, she is not always very logical. But who can be expected to act logical when their personal beliefs are affronted?

I’m trying to use the game plan outlined at “How I helped my Family Leave Jehovah's Witnesses”

http://www.freeminds.org/psych/exithelp.htm

“least she is smart enough to keep her mouth shut.”

If things go bad with her exposure to the “Truth”, I can 99% bank on my wife going to the elders with my “apostasy”.

Like I said, rabidly loyal.

Thank you everyone for your support,

Winston

• detective
    detective

Winston,

Definitely try "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to think for themselves" by Steven Hassan (cult expert). His site sounds like Randy's but is different: he is at www.freedomofmind.com

It really helped me to get through to someone who I would never really "get it".

• jws
    jws
    Then he turns to the account of Stephen being stoned

For some reason that cracks me up. Thinking of Cheech & Chong. I could just picture Stephen, "Dude! I'm seeing this vision".

By the way, has anyone here tried to scan any liturature, then convert it to a word document? On my computer it picks up so many errors in the grammar they use. Twisting the words to make it more palateable...

Yeah, they do have a certain way of expressing a sentence. And yes, a lot of it does appear to be carefully worded so as to lead a person to a conclusion. So it might be the worst grammar. Or, you've got to consider that it's a volunteer organization. The people appointed to different positions mostly get there by how loyal they are and some degree of aptitude. They may not have to have all that much talent. And, by the time you're writing articles for their publications, you've been reading their articles for years and years (and most likely little else). It's probably so ingrained in them that they pick up on that writing style too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit