Xmas, love it or leave it??

by DATA-DOG 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I have to say that I’m not enjoying the Xmas season. I have no emotional ties and I’m spending money that I have not set aside for Xmas during a slow work season for my trade.

I’m not happy about it, because it’s foolish to spend money when you aren’t making any. Then I feel like I’m expected to do all this, and to be happy about spending money and time on persons that I’m not that involved with. I’m supposed to be free, not feeling coerced into participating in Xmas, followed by NYE, which all cost money.

I lived for decades in debt as a Dub and now I have the ability to be free of debt. I’m very disciplined with money and I’m feeling frustrated and angry about Xmas. I can see the commercial cycle of Holidays for what it is. Next it will be Valentine’s Day ( participation expected ) then birthdays ect...

I’m not having fun, but feel pressured and it feels very culty and it’s triggering me a bit. I do not want a life of doing shit that I don’t want to do, but I feel like I’m being selfish...

Anyway, that’s it..

DD

• Solzhenitsyn
    Solzhenitsyn

We're in the same boat.

We've been out for a relatively short time after having been in for a lifetime.

DATA-DOG used the word "triggering". Several in my family are triggered by all the non-JW stuff, esp this Christmas.

At times I wonder if the desire to buy gifts or string some white lights is just our minds way of giving the middle finger to JW life because the idea of sinking our funds into the commercialized holiday cycles.

Right now we've agreed to love the holidays for time off work/school, to regroup and relax (or try to anyway).

Its like the bus just let me and the family off in the middle of Yellowstone. Its beautiful but where in the #$%^$# are we?

• Della Street
    Della Street

I do not celebrate Christmas. I thought about it, but my friends don't care and it is just too damn expensive. I occasionally get someone a gift at Christmas time if I see something they really want and it is a good deal. Otherwise, I'm very generous all year round and I don't feel obligated by Christmas.

That said, the thought did occur to me that I could wait until after Christmas when all the good deals come out and get presents then....

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I agree with Della.

We just say Christmas has been damaged because it's too damn commercialized.Concentrate on family and friends. NOT on gifts.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Most people I know that celebrate Xmas are not religious at all and its a good excuse to enjoy a good meal and booze with family and friends and as adults no one is fussed about presents ,that`s for the kids.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I don't think I could ever get into Christmas. It just seems like a bother and expense like you mentioned. If I want to give someone a present,I will,but,rather not do it out of obligation.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I think being triggered is a good word because it does feel like cult behaviour on some level. Can't we just have a few days off work and a slap up meal with family and friends without buying people ridiculously expensive presents?

Advertising goes crazy at Christmas and it's a fight not to be drawn into the spending frenzy. I have bought small gifts for close family members but I'm certainly not getting them computers or TVs!

To be honest I'm just desperate to see my daughter for the holidays as it's been two months and I just want to spend time with her.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

After hating xmas in my pre JW days and then not really "feeling it" after leaving the last few years we have really embraced it and it has now become a 3 day event. :)

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Hey Data-Dog, you're not alone. When I was still an active JW, one of my closest friends (Catholic) said that he hated the whole Christmas charade and then said, half-joking half serious, "I wish I was a J.W."

Most nationalities and millions/billions of non-Christians and atheists "celebrate" a religious ritual which has no Biblical justification, but who cares, it's a feel-good party-time and a very brief period of escapism from the everyday/harsher realities of life before and after Christmas day. Bah, humbug!

Commercially, Christmas is the lifeblood of many businesses.

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

I feel ya data dog. Im in groundworks. We make no money this time of year.

But i do love xmas and it brings me alot of joy to give my kids an amazing xmas the kind i wanted as a born in.

Dont do it if you dont want to mate. Youl find the majority of people wont mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit