Truth about JW Anointing - Part 2 of 3

by Amazing 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi IW and Teejay: Yes, I evidently erred regarding Fred Franz baptism. Although, some from that early era who refer to a "baptism date" conveniently leave out the fact that their baptism was really in Christendom. Though Ray Franz commented on this in his books, and I was left with the impression that Fred did not get baptized as a Bible Student, but considered his original baptism in Christendom as adequate. The Bible Students at that time did not feel obligated to get baptized as they could still recognize their original baptism in Christendom. Fred Franz had been of the Anointed and serving a while in the organization before getting baptized. However, I have this recollection that some of the original directors (precursor to the GB) were never officially baptized as JWs or as Bible Students. I will check with Ray Franz when I get a chance and see what his recollections are. Thanks. - Jim W.

PS: The earlier linked thread does not steal from the next part, which will deal more with my experience as an Anointed JW Elder, and then an ex-JW. The earlier thread deals more with "how they know" issue.

• patio34
    patio34

Yay! Amazing's back!!

Pat

• onacruse
    onacruse

As part of Rutherford's continuing attempt to get the slacker "character-developers" off their duffs and out selling books and magazines (a very frequent theme of the 30s WTS lit), FF and Ruthy came up with a convenient re-definition of how one "knew" they were "anointed." It was a 5-part series (emphasis is added):

1) Jehovah's Royal House (Watch Tower January 15,1930)

Basically nothing more than a setting out of convoluted definitions about "the call" and "begotten." The article closes with the telling words (p. 24):

These scriptures show that every one who will ultimately become a member of the royal house of Jehovah must be a servant of the Lord and as such must prove faithful. When a man is brought forth as a new creature and therefore the son of God is he henceforth the servant of God or is the way open for him to become a servant of God? This necessarily involves the question of the call and the response thereto. Consideration of these points is next in order. (To be continued)

The suggestive "response thereto" plays very strongly into the subsequent arguments.

2) The Royal House of God (Part 2) (Watch Tower February 1,1930)

More about the "calling," and response thereto, especially that not all who "receive the call" respond and become "anointed." The point being (p. 39-40):

it is manifest that there are some who respond to the call and many who do not, and these scriptures are exactly in accord with the words of Jesus that “many are called, but few are chosen.” (Matthew 22:14) The words of Jesus furthermore make it clear that those who will be of the royal house not only are called, but are chosen and prove faithful. Now let consideration be given to how those who respond to the call are chosen and what is proof that such have been chosen . (To be continued)

Note the "what is proof that such have been chosen." The hidden agenda is beginning to suggest itself.

3) Jehovah's Royal House (Part 3) (Watch Tower February 15,1930)

The stake begins to be driven home (p. 52):

Many have made the grievous error of convincing themselves that after they have made a consecration to the Lord all they need to do is to refrain from the unrighteous acts and things which the apostle points out in 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10, and that by refraining from these evil things they are developing a character that will enable them to get into the kingdom. Such is not the apostle’s argument at all; but rather they must refrain from these evil things, even after responding to the call, before they will be chosen of the Lord. Then the Scriptures show that such must go much further than merely taking an inactive or passive course. After being chosen they must prove their faithfulness.

Extensive discussion of the Levitical "scapegoat" ensues, with the conclusion (p. 56):

The proper conclusion, therefore, seems to be that the sons of God, begotten or brought forth, who respond to the call by presenting themselves as a living sacrifice, and who are received into the covenant for a kingdom, are chosen; and this choice or choosing is indicated by the anointing.

See the drift here? It's those who do something that prove they are anointed...otherwise, they are not anointed, and never were. The coup de grace begins to show itself in:

4) Jehovah's Royal House (Part 4) (Watch Tower March 1,1930) (pp. 71-72):

The sum of the matter, therefore, seems to be this: That the apostles and those closely associated with them received the anointing of the holy spirit of God; that after the death of such and throughout the centuries following, until the second coming of the Lord, a very limited number were anointed with the holy spirit; that with the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ he ‘prepared the way before Jehovah,’ as was foretold by the prophet Malachi, and within that period of time a limited number of spirit-begotten ones were anointed, and that such were the ones who joyfully and faithfully engaged in the Elijah work of the church; that when the Lord came to his temple he began taking account with the consecrated and spirit-begotten ones, and, finding some whom he approved, these were chosen and anointed; that then was the time when there was a larger fulfilment of the prophecy uttered by Joel cand enter into the work which the Lord has provided for them; that the anointed ones at the coming of the Lord to his temple constitute the “faithful and wise servant” class and that such class is also foreshadowed in the prophecy of Isaiah concerning the laying of “the key of the house of David” upon the shoulder of Eliakim (Isaiah 22:20-22); and that such are the chosen ones of the Lord and so made manifest by the anointing. But are these fully prepared to become members of the royal house of Jehovah? It is quite clear from the Scriptures that there is yet something which they must do. (To be continued) oncerning the pouring out of the spirit upon all flesh, meaning that all the approved ones were anointed of the holy spirit and thereafter began the proclamation of the message of truth as commissioned; that the lukewarm must be warned that those who do arouse themselves may also receive the anointing.

No more of that useless "character development" (dubbed the "Elisha" work”) for Rutherford; it's the work that counts, and proves that you are of the anointed class. Otherwise, you are as worthless as the scapegoat.

5) Jehovah's Royal House (Part 5) (Watch Tower March 15,1930) (p. 83):

If one finds in his mind an objection or opposition to the organized effort now being put forth to give the witness of Jehovah God and his kingdom, is not that strong circumstantial evidence that he is not of the temple? If he finds himself opposed to manufacturing books containing the message glorifying God’s name and advertising his King and kingdom, and opposed to carrying them from door to door and putting them in the hands of the people, would it not be well for him to ask himself, Am I one of the Lord’s anointed and in the temple? If he finds himself provoked at what The Watch Tower has published concerning the greater light that God is giving to his people, fails to see or appreciate that light himself and opposes others who are trying to use it to the Lord’s glory, such he should take into consideration in determining whether or not he is of the temple.

On the other hand, if one has wholly devoted himself to the Lord God; finds that he has no sympathy with the wicked organization of Satan, and finds that he has a vision of God’s organization and the enemy’s organization; finds that he is moved with a zeal for the Lord and that he is striving daily to lead a clean and pure life, consistent with the high calling; finds that he is rejoicing in the ever-increasing light upon God’s Word and anxious to have a part in passing the message on to others, and that he is putting forth his best endeavors to give the testimony of Jesus Christ, and finding great joy therein, then would not this be strong proof that he is of the temple class and therefore one of God’s anointed? All such who are thus singing the praises of Jehovah in harmony with his Word may have reason to believe that they are of the anointed... Jesus said: “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.” (Luke 12:32) In harmony with this, is it not now plain that the number of the anointed ones is small and that only those who continue faithful to the commission of their anointing unto the end will be of the kingdom ? The great multitude have been begotten of God, and before them the call has been placed. Many have not responded to that call. Probably many of those who accepted the call and started in the race have not been chosen. Those who responded to the call and have been chosen have received the anointing of the holy spirit. They have the spirit of Christ and are his. Now they must be faithful to the test, and that test requires every one to earnestly and carefully safeguard the kingdom interests that have been committed to the commissioned, anointed ones.

Numerous subsequent WT articles over the next few years even go so far as to say that those who leave the WTS thereby prove they never were of the "anointed" class.

Craig

• manon
    manon

I just love trilogies fascinating read thanks for posting. -Nathan of the I've ridden the #7 line too (destination nowhere).

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

Jim,

Good to see your posts more frequently again...

I'm a bit puzzled by this comment:

Simply put, ANY JW can become Anointed by self-determination ... and that is how it is done

If your point is that "...this is how it REALLY works.....", I think I see where you're coming from...BUT: The annointed I had contact with ALL CLAIMED to have the "token" in the form of a strong internal "thing" if you will internally that EXTERNALLY convinced them they had "the calling".......if memory serves, this is the thrust of Watchtower teaching, is it not? So this leads me to the thought that since Jehovah's Witnesses DON'T have any special blessing from God, any claimed "annointing" in connection with the group is baloney (sorry).

Your comment suggests to me that Watchtower publications in effect endorse the concept of "self determination" as you put it....if you mean this in the sense that nobody can test them one way or the other, I got it...........but if you mean the person CHOOSES this, like you can select a meal, I don't recall that...

I've found your posts to be ALWAYS well thought out, and inciteful, can't say the same for my thinking/posts!

---Dan

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Dan,

Yes, JW anointing is baloney. The "self-determination" is directly taught in Watchtower publications ... but has not been highlighted much since the 1950s because the Society wants the number to reduce to fulfill their 1935 prophecy that the number of 144,000 alive on earth is truly reducing.

Ahhhhh .... the famous "Token" ... yes, perhaps that deserves one more post on the topic. I will do that tomorrow. - Jim W.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit