My Lonnng Story...

by poohbear1962 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• poohbear1962
    poohbear1962

Hello, all!!

Several folks asked to hear my story, so here goes - I hope you don't fall asleep!! *grin*

It's a story that's been told many, many times - I was pretty much raised as a Jehovah’s Witness (my Mom was baptized when I was 6 years old), and I simply followed along and accepted for years what I was being told. Going through school, I just learned to be “different” (which, in some ways, is a good thing… I’m hoping that will make it easier to break free). Needless to say, as I went through High School, I never dated, or went to any social gatherings with “worldly people”. Anything that was a question for me, I would simply “wait upon Jehovah” for increased “light” from his Organization (sound familiar, eh??). Years went by, and I was treated poorly and unkindly by most of the kids at the Hall (mostly Elder’s sons), and we lived in a remote area, so my teenage years were pretty dysfunctional, so life as a JW seemed pretty normal to me!! ;-)

In 1975, I was baptized at the age of 13 years old (much TOO young to make such a life-long commitment). Actually, in some ways, being a JW served as a protection – I didn’t get in any trouble as a youth. However, I also didn’t get to go to college, and I didn’t get any experience in dating and relationships with the opposite sex (which would cause a major mistake later on in life!!)

Fast forward to the age of 22. All of my friends (Witnesses, of course) were getting married, and I was kind of “set up” with a young woman by some of my friends. She was fairly nice during the courtship, but since I wasn’t experienced, I couldn’t see the “warning signs” of what was to come. As you can guess, what happens when two JW’s of opposite sex date? Right!! They get MARRIED!! We studied part of the “old” Family book with an Elder (which really didn’t help much at all). Years later, a lot of folks told me that they could see even before we were married that we were ill-matched, but few tried to intervene. Actually, only on family did, and they did it in such an offensive way, that it made me cling to her all the more so! Also, at that time I was of the mindset that “if we are both worshipping Jehovah, and if He is in our marriage, then we are BOUND to succeed!” Idealistic, to say the LEAST!!!

Within the first month of marriage, she was raging and yelling at me (my parents NEVER raised their voices to each other). I was confused, angry, sad, and felt trapped (remember. “Till death do you part” still rang in my ears), but I didn’t want to bother the Elders with it (since I figured they had enough REAL problems to deal with, and I didn’t want undue attention brought to my situation). Also, for years I had heard jokes about husbands and wives fighting, so I figured this must be the “norm”. Maybe it was Mom and Dad who were “different”. So, I endured the verbal and emotional abuse for years, and learned to yell back, and things just got worse. All this time, we were both “exemplary” in the congregation, she was a pioneer, and I was a MS. During so many years, I would never even consider divorce (being a good JW), “…for better or worse… til death do you part”!

It seemed that, no matter how hard I tried to please her, it was never enough. I worked hard so that she could pioneer. I became a Ministerial Servant (to please Jehovah, but also to make her happy, too). I never felt comfortable as a “role model” within the congregation, but I diligently performed my assigned tasks. During the time she was a pioneer, the abuse got worse and worse, until she finally agreed to get some counseling. After month and months of expensive sessions, her therapist (a very BAD therapist) simply allowed her to blame her Mom for everything, but didn’t have her work on NEW, HEALTHY thought patterns. As a result, everything eventually came back to the way it had always been. While we were dating, she knew that I love music and that I loved playing guitar. But, as soon as we were married, she let me know that she thought that such activities were a waste of valuable time (“living in the last days, time is short... yadda yadda yadda… blah blah blah”). So, needless to say, I sold most of my instruments, and put all of my musical aspirations “on hold” (for the sake of peace in the household). Yet another sacrifice to try to appease the “goddess” – my wife!! Unfortunately, no mater what I did, nothing ever made her happy…

Then, around 1989, her sister and all her friends were beginning families, so she decided she wants a baby. I thought to myself, “She’s not emotionally mature enough to be a stable mother to a child!” But, then again, I thought, “Well, maybe this is what she NEEDS to make her feel happy and complete”. Wrong!! It just added to the burdens we already carried as “good-for-nothing slaves”. So, she became an unprepared, immature mother, and I, in addition to my MS duties (talks, Sound Room, Maintenance, etc, etc), was now thrust into the role of Father – totally unequipped! Then, 21 months later, along comes number two!! I love both of my sons dearly, but having two babies in the household put a LOT of pressure on us both. And, trying to make it on one income (and, a lower income as I was without a college education), and you get the picture! I felt like I could never be everything – like I was a failure! No matter what I did, it wasn’t enough: I couldn’t please her, I found my patience short with my babies, and ultimately, I had to step down from being a MS – it was too much to try to keep my duties AND tend to my sons when they needed attention.

Along about this time (1994), I started having anxiety and panic attacks. I couldn’t sleep at night (I felt as if an elephant were sitting on my chest), and would have to have several drinks to calm myself down. My sister (who was also battling stress and emotional problems) gave me a book, which helped me a LOT!! (even though it wasn’t from WTBTS of NY Inc!!) So, I started the long road to recovery. I was suffering from very low self-esteem (following Paul’s words to “beat and pummel your body” and considering myself a “good-for-nothing slave”, along with a few childhood issues). But, with a lot of work, and “reprogramming” my tapes, I started feeling much better, and started regaining control of my life. I still felt trapped in a loveless marriage, and, I couldn’t figure out why someone who claimed to love and serve Jehovah could treat her family so terribly. However, during this time, I also started seeing things a little more clearly, both within the congregation and within my home. However, we just limped along and hopped for things to get better. We tried couselling, but it didn't help. She simply thought if I would only do what a "christain" husband SHOULD do (take the lead in field ministry, family study, etc) then all would be fine. Well, no matter what I did, I could never make her happy... and, I never really felt completely loved by her.

About two years ago, in 1999, we had a particularly bad argument, and she struck me several times. Then, as I was leaving, she called 911. Long story short, she was arrested for assault on me. Even though I begged the officers not to take her, due to our state laws, they had to. After the arrest, she began going to a therapist (but not really trying to change her behavior – it was mostly for show to the Courts). When her case came to trial, I didn’t press charges, of course. But, now she has a record of violent behavior, which worsened as time went on.

We continued to limp along, trying to keep things together, but never reaching that special heart-to-heart “connection” that all successful relationships seem to have. There was always something in the way, some way that I wasn’t pleasing her, or something in the way. In her attempts to be the “perfect Christian”, and to maintain appearances, she has developed significant “deception” skills. She can study and prepare for all the meetings, answer and smile, and go out knocking on doors, but she really doesn’t reflect “the fruitage of the spirit” which I believe is what is most important – the putting on of the “new personality”. All the underlining of answers and knocking on doors is useless if we don’t become Christ-like in our life! I believe Paul referred to it as being a “sounding piece of brass” if we did all of these things, but didn’t have love. And, I believe our leader Jesus referred to the Pharisees who would “strain out the gnat and swallow the camel”, even calling them “hypocrites”! All of this has given me an ever worse “taste in my mouth” regarding the so-called “truth”. But, if humans don’t live up to what the Bible says, do I fault the imperfect human, the “organization”, or the creator that caused us to be or become imperfect?

In the intervening time, she had several anger-related incidents on her job as a school bus driver, to where they had to change her routes, and even require her to attend group anger management sessions. And this is WHILE she is on Prozac! Why would a woman who was raised a JW have such anger and hostility? Well, her mother suffers from bipolar disorder, depression, and chemical imbalance. Yet, while her childhood was less that ideal, at a certain point a person needs to take ownership of their issues and actually DO something about them. She’s 41 years old, and has been away from home for about 19 years. Yet, all the prayer, study and field service (remember, she used to be a pioneer) she is still as ill as ever.

Fast forward to two months ago. In a fit of rage against my youngest son, she physically hurt him on the arm, bruising him. This fact she hid from me (“Christian deception”?), and the only way I found out was that a teacher at school saw the bruise, and asked my son about it. Quickly the Principal and Child Protective Services were involved. In some ways, I feel this event was “divine providence”, because Jehovah knows that I wouldn’t have made her move for just verbal and emotional abuse – it would take something more serious. Yet, I also believe that He protected my son from greater harm – as bad as it was (and, bad enough to leave a bruise), she could have hurt him MUCH worse! I mean, a large, angry woman could do a LOT of damage to a small, eight year old boy! It frightens me even to THINK about what could have happened!

So, here I am now at a crossroads – a separated father, with a moderate to severe “crisis in faith”. I’ve seen enough of my friends disfellowshipped (or, being pressured to disassociate themselves as in Robin’s case), and I find that practice abhorrent! There are so many different things that concern me, most revolving around lack of love. As I post, you will note my “signature” quoting Jesus regarding his followers having “LOVE among themselves”. Within the congregation, there is often a lot of judgment, fear, guilt, and lack of love. I’m discouraged (I haven’t got “door to door” in years because, as I told a couple of Elders during a shepherding call, “I can’t very well go out and sell something that I’m not sure I even believe anymore!”), and having some serious doubts about the whole JW “gig” anymore. But, right now, I am going through enough stress that I am just going to “go through the motions” for a little longer until the divorce is final. Once I make that “step”, I know that I will face a LOT of pressure from friends, elders, inlaws, etc. Actually, at this point, I’m tentatively planning to “fade away” slowly after the divorce. But, once things are settled down, I’m hoping to be able to think more clearly, with her out of the picture, and see what my perspective is at that point. Sorry for the lonnnnnnnng story, but once I started, it just kind of “poured out”! *blush* Thank you for listening, and for caring. Taking it one day at a time, I’m feeling better every day!! ;-)

Take care, and have a wonderful day!! ;-)

Pooh

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hey, I stayed awake!

Thanks for sharing your story. It is hard when we are told to "keep up appearances" so to speak, by pretending we are perfect Witnesses, while the home life isn't so perfect. I think there are others here who have gone through similar marriage problems, I know you will find help and encouragement here.

Thanks for sharing your story, and look forward to seeing more of you on this board!

• myMichelle
    myMichelle

I stayed awake too, all I can say is a stunned "Wow."

It sounds like you are moving in the right direction, focusing on you and your sons. Your poor boys, this has got to be a very confusing and turbulent time for them. I have an 8 year old son too (and a 6 year old daughter), I can feel your pain for them.

Just to further echo Prisca (that's twice now today), welcome to the board and thanks for sharing. I hope that being here, reading other's experiences is helpful and stregthening for you and your boys in the days/weeks/etc to come.

Michelle

The most deadly of all sins is the mutilation of a child's spirit. -Erik H. Erikson

• jurs
    jurs

Hi pooh bear,

Thanks for sharing. Its hard to keep up on appearances when your world is falling apart. Just another burden the organization thrusts upon us. Although my experience is different from yours I understand. I've been in an abusive marriage for 12 years. I should point out that my husband was not a witness. I've talked to elders and found it to be more than unhelpful. I was encouraged NOT to go to counseling!!!! We had tried counseling before I was a witness and it did no good. I thought if only my husband were a witness then everything would work out well. The elders seemed so concerned about me not committing a sin such as divorce, that they didn't care what was happening to me!!!!No one told me to stay but I left with that strong impression. Just worry about being a good wife and maybe your husband will be won by your fine conduct!!!! Sorry to go on about myself . I'm so fresh out of the truth that everything is still raw.....I'll be looking for your postings to see how you are doing. Take care...JURS

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Pooh,
    I am so very sorry to read your terrible woes. The sad part is it sounds so similiar to mine. Except it was my ex JW husband who was the abusive one. I had no children, because I absolutely refused to bring children into that kind of horrible situation. I am now 41 and married to a wonderful man who was never a Witness. It is too late for children now. I would have loved to have been a mother, but not in the circumstances I was in. What a nightmare that would have been.
    I hope that you will be able to rebuild a life with your boys!!! Sounds like you are well on your way. My thoughts and hopes are with you!!!
    Jurs,
    To you as well.
    TW

• bonnie38
    bonnie38

Pooh,
    Thank you for sharing. Things will get better. I am a single parent, and it is a hard job sometimes. But it sounds like you and your children will be happier without your wife. I'll be thinking about you.
    Bonnie

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

There you are Pooh, had to look hard for this thread. I thought you might be referring to the same Rob I know. Just wanted to bring this back up to the top, in case you might want to communicate!
    TW

• poohbear1962
    poohbear1962

Everyone,

Thank you for the warm welcome, and for all of the wonderful support and comfort!!! It really means a lot to know that there are people out there that actually care about others!! Things are going pretty well (all things considered), and I feel peace and quiet for the first time in a LOT of years - maybe ever!! I know I don't recall ever feeling this free before, that is for sure!! The boys are doing remarkably well, considering all that is happening, but, I'm going to get them some counseling, too...

Again, thank you sooooooo much!! You folks are the BEST!!! :-)

Take care, and have a wonderful day!!! :-)

Poohbear

• emyrose
    emyrose

hi poohbear,

Hang in there poohbear, you will come out of this nightmare if you keep focusing on the solutions that exist. Think about the progress
    you have already made to break free from that cult. A somewhat normal
    life for you and your children awaits you out here in the real world. You still have a chance to find happiness in life. Many here too have been devastated
    by the WTBTS and life's circumtances in general. Most are very supportive and can offer you lifesaving advice. So feel free to ask
    for support. I did and got great, effective advice.

Thanks, Emyrose

PS, thankyou for telling your story

• rob
    rob

My dear Pooh,
    I have been with you through a lot of this with you and got to witness first hand some of the amazing stuff that you have been through. Keep strong. You will be surprised what a reserve you have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit