Senator Byrd...The Truth Will Emerge.

by searchfothetruth 63 Replies latest members adult

• Simon
    Simon
    As far as the US being close to a Dictatorship with Bush, SHOW THE PROOF. Roosevelts was the Imperial presidency, not Bush's

It is interesting how the lack of evidence of WoMD is dismissed and ye, when Bush is accused of something then suddenly we need proof. Surely we should use the same measure that he does? We don't need any proof - he should be found guilty purely on the basis of rumour and wishful thinking. I'm sure once [insert made up comic book style name] is taken out then we'll discover the proof later but it doesn't matter if we don't

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

If you want proof Simon....

• teejay
    teejay

Lionized in Winter

At 85, Robert Byrd has become an overnight Internet
    sensation and the Senate's unlikeliest liberal

With his white hair, benign tremor and penchant for quoting the Romans, Byrd seems more like a Senator from the 19th century than one from the 21st. He refers to the camera in the Senate chamber as "the eee-leck-tronic eye." But due to his fierce opposition to the Iraq war, Byrd at 85 has become an Internet icon with a rash of young and liberal admirers, which is ironic given that Byrd fought civil rights in the '60s and, as is often noted, briefly joined the Ku Klux Klan. Once known as a hawk ("I was the last man out of Vietnam," he says), Byrd has become the Senate's new Paul Wellstone.

The Byrd renaissance began on Feb. 12, 35 days before the first bombs fell on Baghdad, when he rose on the Senate floor to rail against the looming conflict. While other Senators muted their criticism, Byrd derided President Bush as "reckless and arrogant." He also denounced his fellow Democrats: "This chamber is, for the most part, silent — ominously, dreadfully, silent." Byrd's words lit up the Internet. Wes Boyd, the head of MoveOn.org, a liberal group that opposed the war, received 15 copies of the speech from fellow activists in 72 hours after it was delivered. "It's the way stump speeches were delivered generations ago," says Boyd. "It was tacked on a wall and a crowd gathered to read it. And it got bigger and bigger." In January, Byrd's website got just 436,000 hits; in March, 3.7 million.

Just last week Byrd drew another Internet throng, declaring that Bush had lied about Iraqi weapons of mass destruction and would get caught: "This house of cards, built of deceit, will fall."

To understand Byrd, though, you have to understand his love of history. When John Kennedy Jr. asked Byrd to list his summer reading for his magazine George, Byrd included such page turners as The Lives of the Twelve Caesars.

For Byrd, history not only teaches the importance of rules and precedent but also offers warnings for the present. Deviation from democratic process can, he says, cloak an attempt "to dominate all branches of government." For that reason, Byrd says, "this Republic is at its greatest danger in its history because of this Administration." He cites as an example the Bush Administration's efforts to seek greater discretionary defense spending free of congressional scrutiny. Conservatives and liberals who think he's a peacenik miss the point. With Byrd, the rules aren't picayune but the bricks of democracy. His legendary 98.74% voting record grows out of his faith that every vote matters, even when it's merely procedural. For him, God — and the Republic — is in the details.

While Beltway types often dismiss Byrd as a fossil, his anachronistic style is bracing, especially at a time when the Republican-led Senate is considering revamping the filibuster rules to smooth the path of Bush's judicial nominees. Like anyone who has seen Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Byrd knows the filibuster can be used for good and for ill and is better left alone. "It may irritate us. It may irk us, but it's stood the test of time," Byrd declares. He could well be talking about himself.

From the Jun. 02, 2003 issue of TIME magazine

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

ThiChi made a good point on another thread when he was explaining where he got a quote from, he said:

You are correct. Anticipating the "kill the messenger" mentality, or the "Poison Well" poor debating tactic, I usually leave out the author so we can focus on the information, not the person providing it.......

• Francois
    Francois

A "brief mistake," huh?

Robert "Sheets" Byrd claims his association with the KKK was a "brief mistake."

I'm just as sorry as I can be, but a "mistake" is when you wanted a strawberry shake, but you said vanilla instead.

A mistake is when your wife tells you to bring home a quart of milk and you foget it.

A mistake can be a lot of things, but joining the KKK is not a mistake. Joining the KKK is a brief way to showcase where your true feelings lie, and Senator Byrd has given us the lie for years. This Plutarch quoting, unreformed monster from West Virginia - IMHO - should follow the example of Douglass MacArthur and just fade away.

francois

• teejay
    teejay

The appellation of "former KKK member/supporter" that Bushites now attach to the good and distinguished senator from the Great State of West Virginia may very well fit. The man was a member of that dastardly organization and may very well continue to hold those debased views relative to other races.

Doesn't change what he said about the lies Bush and the Bush Administration told, though. Sorry.

Edited to add: tj ~ a Negro; who sometimes agrees with "ex-Klansmen" because I can

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Teejay,

I don't think Francois read my last post!

George Bush admitted last year that he was a member of the 'Skull and Bones' secret society, based at Yale.

The 'Skull and Bones' society are a freemasonic/occult secret society. Do a google search, you'll be surprised.

The KKK is a diabolical and dangerous organisation, no disagreement there.

But can you discuss what was said, not attack the person who said it.

• Simon
    Simon

When was he a member of the KKK ?

As he's 85, it may have been before it was taken over by white supremacists. I believe it started out quite differently and was not always the orginisation that it is well known now as being.

Even so, and to quote the WTS (Russell or Rutherford):

"A truth is no less the truth even if it's told by Satan" (something like that)

• Aztec
    Aztec

What cracks me up is that the same people who get irritated when George Bush's past is held up to scrutiny are the same ones who will drag up another's. If Byrd's past is what we should judge him on then the same standard should be held for Bush, Cheney and the whole lot of the administration.

~Aztec

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Damn Right Aztec!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit