Neanderthals - Meet Your Ancestors

by Earnest 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Earnest
    Earnest

Tonight (Sunday, 13th May) at 20:00 on BBC 2 ... for Neanderthal believers, agnostics and deniers.

This first programme in a two-part series investigates what Neanderthals looked like and and how they lived in their Ice Age world. It turns out that almost everything we thought we knew about them is wrong. They weren't hunched, grunting, knuckle-dragging ape-men at all. In reality they were faster, smarter, better looking - and much more like us than we ever thought.

And in London computer modelling of the Neanderthal vocal track can let us hear a Neanderthal voice 40,000 years after they became extinct. These were no brutish apemen - they were surprisingly like us. So finally, to see just how well Neanderthals would blend in to modern society, we put Ned amongst the commuters on a busy tube train. He fits right in.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Here is another recent article on the Neanderthals

• oppostate
    oppostate

Cool beans! I look forward to watching it! Thanks for posting about it.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

According to 23andme Iā€™m 0.5% Neanderthal or something.

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

Funny how so many times these scientists 'discover' something 'new' about something, for example, Neanderthals, and their new light doesn't add to a dimmer light but reveals something radically different. Kind of like the Governing Body shedding new light. Funny how some dismiss the Governing Body as lame brained know nothings but these scientists are just showing everyone how smart they are.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Thanks for the heads up it was really interesting. They could possibly speak like us. Interesting that even with those huge brow ridges they don't look that different once the flesh clothes the bones. I remember finding a book with those Neanderthal skulls in just after we left the cult. Instead of just bits of teeth as the WTS lied to us, there are almost complete skulls. It was an amazing moment for us.

• LV101
    LV101

Thank you very much -- very interesting.

Need to send in my 23andme DNA test. SBF's result is interesting -- I'm afraid to find out!

• jp1692
    jp1692
    EQV: [When ā€œthese scientists 'discover' something 'new' about something [it is] Kind of like the Governing Body shedding new light.ā€

No!

This comment shows a complete ignorance of how both scientists and cults leaders work.

Scientists try to find empirical data and objective evidence to help us understand how things really are. Peer review and repeatability are essential to a working hypothesis. Scientists welcome questions and must be willing to admit when they are wrong when the evidence indicates otherwise.

Cult leaders make shit up based solely on whatever suits their agenda or mood, they absolutely do NOT tolerate questions, they will put any and all pressure possible and necessary on anyone that dares to question them in order to silence dissenters and maintain absolute control over their mindlessly obedient followers, and cult leaders will never, ever admit error or defeat even in light of overwhelming evidence of their mistakes, failings and other errors and shortcomings.

• zeb
    zeb

I don't have a link but I saw an item on a Neanderthal burial site in Spain where items were buried with the dead and they were laid out suggesting society, beliefs, and care. Not some ape brutish type.

And, some DNA was obtained where the proof was that these were not homo sapiens...

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I betcha we eventually Neanderthal DNA all sequenced and perhaps some serious quantum computing we restore our nearest closely related ancestor. I mean why not right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit