Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson / Coronavirus

by compound complex 17 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/business/media/tom-hanks-coronavirus.html

Tom Hanks said on Wednesday that he and his wife, Rita Wilson, learned they had the coronavirus. The 63-year-old Academy Award-winning actor is in Australia, where he was set to film a movie about the life of Elvis Presley.

“Hello, folks. Rita and I are down here in Australia,” Mr. Hanks said in a statement. “We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers, too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the coronavirus, and were found to be positive.”

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I just heard it on the news. They are in Australia where it is summer. Which bedunks when it gets warm it will stop. Now they may have brought it with them or they may have gotten it there I do not know. My understanding is it may be 100 times worse here than the count number of 1,100 that is given. We need the test kits now. Be safe everyone and good luck to all. Still Totally ADD

• Simon
    Simon

America will take it seriously when celebrities die from it.

• LV101
    LV101

Would be interesting to know how many people are walking around as carriers and where Tom Hanks and wife, Rita Wilson, contacted it - so cal or Australia. I thought Australia only had one case of it - they, too, are clueless how many people are infected. They just don't know yet.

• Simon
    Simon

As the site I linked on the other status topic makes clear, the number of cases people think they have is behind the number of cases they actually have.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Here in Alberta, they are saying there is no need to worry as there are only 20 or so cases ... which means there are probably 2,000 people spreading it as we speak. Nothing closed. Health services somehow imagining we're a special species that it won't affect.

These people are meant to protect the nations health and when the big test arrives, they haven't prepared despite the warnings it was coming and they put everyone at risk by sitting on their arse and doing fuck all.

Fiddling while Rome burns (because it has a fever).

• compound complex
    compound complex

When a danger is growing exponentially, everything looks fine until it doesn’t

There’s an old brain teaser that goes like this: You have a pond of a certain size, and upon that pond, a single lily pad. This particular species of lily pad reproduces once a day, so that on day two, you have two lily pads. On day three, you have four, and so on.

Now the teaser. “If it takes the lily pads 48 days to cover the pond completely, how long will it take for the pond to be covered halfway?”

The answer is 47 days. Moreover, at day 40, you’ll barely know the lily pads are there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/10/coronavirus-what-matters-isnt-what-you-can-see-what-you-cant/

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LV101:

I believe as you do that the question is: how many people are carriers? And of those, how can they know for sure where they got it?

I haven’t heard much in the way of anybody in my general area getting it but who knows? I had lunch with an old friend yesterday and the restaurant we went to didn’t have many people there. Am I supposed to not go out?? I’ll hope for the best.

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Interesting thing here in Melbourne Australia,

8 members of the f1 teams, (Haas and Maclaren) have shown symptoms and been quarantined in their hotel rooms awaiting results.

Louis Hamilton has expressed concern about being here and was quoted "it's all about the cash"

I think we are over a hundred cases in Oz. In fact NSW had an increase of 12 overnight to total of 75.

It's on the move here. West of melbourne has not had a case yet but it's just a matter of time.

jtg

P.S. We have also had our first person to person spread from those who have not travelled. Majority of cases have all been from travellers. A doctor who travelled had seen 70 patients before he tested positive. He didn't even feel that sick at all. It was Missy Higgins dad.

Hope this link to John Hopkins live global update works. https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

• jonahstourguide
  • LV101
    LV101

LongHairGal - I know! I'm staying in town (again) canceling appointments here and there - (my beloved Australian hairdresser (cuts only) is in so cal and I've cancelled) plus life in general down there. Guess it's time to be a hippy or go grungy. I was told the closest hospital has locked down the front entrance - if emergency you must go around the back/whatever and use ER or special door like after hours. They must have the critically ill man who traveled to TX and Washington state - since then 3 more cases reported yesterday - one or 2 bad shape but I don't think in their 80s and this is the real beginning of the reality show here. I'm afraid to go outside and chat with my mailman when he walks the mail up to the door with online orders - I yell thru the intercom and tell him to throw through the gate - I'm seldom home or have the chance and now the COVID 19 horror! If I order any more soap - only thing left online to order for stockpiling (darn) - UPS guy is laughing as he drops at front entrance - we chat thru intercom. My nephew told me I have an Amazon in my garage. I'm ordering groceries online today/having delivered - I can't stand someone picking out my produce/shop for fruit almost daily - this is crazy so I'll probably race to store but it's crowded. I can't eat fruit out of a can - I'm not cutting up salads - my hands hurt from washing! Now I know how agoraphobics who are home bound live. Poor Howard Hughes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit