Oscar Nominations for 2020

by LoveUniHateExams 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Yes, folks, it will soon be that time of year when obscenely wealthy actors, script writers and directors will collect their Oscars and give little thank you speeches, strangely working in social commentary and/or Extinction Rebellion propaganda.

I know it's a huge back-slapping exercise that many people (including me) find off-putting.

But, there is one nomination that I've got my eye on and hope will win its category. Its nomination is for Best Cinematography and the film is The Lighthouse (2019), directed and co-written by Robert Eggers. I haven't seen it yet but it's on my 'to see list', as I really liked Eggers's previous (debut) film, The Witch (2016).

I'll definitely buy The Lighthouse when it comes out on DVD. I guess it could be sh1te, but I've heard some positive (non-spoiler) reviews.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jan/13/oscar-nominations-full-list-for-2020

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I wonder if anyone really watches the Oscars anymore. I don't. I'd sooner get terminal constipation.

Who wants to see out of touch with reality.......

obscenely wealthy actors, script writers and directors....

self congratulating each other and spouting sh1t about 4th wave feminazi, lefy nonsense?

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

I could not care less about this stupid event. I don't like actors in general and I don't like most movies hollywierd puts out.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@JimmyYoung, yeah, I get you. My post pointed out how stupid the Oscars are.

But I was just saying that there's little film, The Lighthouse, made on a small budget by an independent director (Robert Eggers) who isn't beholden to Hollywood (unlike tiresome hacks such as JJ Abrams, etc.), and who doesn't try to shove trendy crap or social stuff down the audience's throat.

Robert Eggers is an old-fashioned, independent film maker.

I hope The Lighthouse wins its category.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

If lighthouse wins anything in any category I`ll eat my hat !Stars out of five? Zero

Having said that joachin phoenix for Joker .as best actor

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Extremes breed excess.

I don't watch the Oscars either but I do check out the nominated films when I can, after reading critics I've become familiar with and that I agree with generally. A good film, lefty or righty, is a good film. I saw 1917 and thoroughly enjoyed it. For me there was no heavy handed message. I took away from it that war is futile. No mystery there.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

War is futile alright > we bomb the shit out of them and then when we win we go about building their country up again and in the case of Germany we bomb the shit out of them again and again go about building them up again.

Look also at Japan ,and Vietnam ,just to name a few.

I want to see the movie Beneath Hill 30 ? ( is that what its called ?) about the miners digging their way into history.?

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

LoveUniHateExams: The Lighthouse (2019), directed and co-written by Robert Eggers

I am really wanting to see this too! I'm a massive movie nerd. We are going to see 1917 on the weekend, been looking forward to it since seeing the trailer.

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Wasanelder Once: I saw 1917 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Looking forward to seeing this on the weekend!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I hope your not too disappointed with lighthouse ,I was.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit