Remember The Green Song Books

by new boy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• new boy
    new boy

Then new and improved purple song books that came out in 1966. Then there was the brown song book and a even newer one in 2006.

Thousands of hours wasted singing those stupid songs and their stupid lyrics.

Song 106 "Watch how we walk and watch we talk."

I remember inserting different works in the lyrics to relive the boredom.

"Watch how we walk and watch how we stalk."

Are they really praising their god or telling you to be obedient to their leaders, the governing body? You decide.

song 43 – Stay Awake, Stand Firm, Grow Mighty – “Stay awake, and keep your senses, Always ready to obey. Staying alert to Christ’s direction, through his faithful slave to day. Heed the counsel of the older men, Who protect his sheep and truth defend.”

song 63 – Ever Loyal – “Ever loyal to their guidance. When our brothers take the lead, When they give us clear directions, May our mind and heart give heed.”

song 84 – I Want To – “Oh, what help Jehovah God gave, when he sent the faithful wise slave, With whom we serve with joy, Our powers employ, that meek ones we might help to save.”

song 116 – The Light Gets Brighter – “Our Lord has appointed a trustworthy slave, Through whom He gives food in due season. The light of the truth has grown brighter with time, Appealing to heart and to reason. Our path ever clearer, our steps ever firm, We walk in the brightness of day.”

Song 125 – Loyally Submitting to the theocratic Order – “God provides his steward and his active force. These will ever guide us in our Christian course. So may we be steadfast, seeking God to please, Loyally proclaiming all his wise decrees!”

"The Light Gets Brighter – “Our Lord has appointed a trustworthy slave".....really?

Maybe god is on a dimmer switch because sometimes the light gets brighter and then it gets dim again.

• blondie
    blondie

The tunes and the lyrics have gotten progressively worse to the point that I don't have to sing them and listen to other jws murder the songs. In the US, I know very few practice singing the songs. Haha.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I’ve been out since about 1983, I always hated the songs, cringeworthy.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

How about "those bees that were molested." WTF?

and "stimulate our Brothers to hail the first born too" (something like that). Sorry, I don't want to stimulate the Brothers!!! lol

Yep...stupid songs.

• stillin
    stillin

They have all vanished for aye.

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

I could hear the tunes in my head for a few of those. Made me cringe.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Fear not those who kill the body, but cannot destroy the soul...when I asked my mom why we sing this because we don’t have a soul per WT teaching, she said if I did too much thinking I could think myself right out of the truth. I guess that’s exactly what I did.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    Fear not those who kill the body, but cannot destroy the soul..

Third verse, line 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQfbySbhNw0

• cofty
    cofty

Hated all the song books after the pink one.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

You mention remembering the green songbook, which I do, but your list looks like it's either from the magenta or the brown book. Anyway, I remember the green book some songs I can think of right now are:

Take Sides With Jehovah

Dedication

Rejoice

Plus the one on Page 1, which was titled Hail HIm, which sounded straight out of a Baptist revival meeting, which is probably why they stopped using much when the green book was still out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit