Fear of Dying

by SplaneThisToMe 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Giordano
    Giordano

An English guy was very ill and his son

went to visit him in the hospital. Suddenly, the father began to
    breathe heavily and grabbed the pen and pad by the bed. With his last
    ounce of strength he wrote a note, dropped it, and died.

The son was so overcome with grief that he didn't remember slipping
    the note into his pocket. At the funeral, he reached into the pocket of
    his coat and immediately felt the note. He excitedly read it thinking it
    might be something he could recite during the service. It
    said:

YOU WANKER -- GET OFF MY OXYGEN TUBE!!!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

All life is interconnected, packs of wolves kill Caribou and they live on. The Caribou eat the grass, blah, blah...

We humans may be the only species to contemplate our own death. Its a bit of a curse, but our intelligence comes at a price I suppose.

I spent a few years being plagued with mini-panic attacks when I learned TTATT. Realizing the decades of potential squandered on the WTBTS was not an easy pill to swallow by any means. I drank quite a bit and worried about death all the time. Not just my own, but my aging parent's deaths as well. Life seemed pretty futile, and maybe it ultimately is?

Anyway, it gets better. All we can do is learn from the experience of life. If there is life in some form after the body dies, perhaps that knowledge will be useful? A collective consciousness/simulation may be running programs to gather data? Jim Carey could be right. We may not even exist.

I'm just trying to learn and grow, which is impossible in a cult. The glass ceiling is far too low for my tastes.

DD

• Giordano
    Giordano

Since I already died once during open heart surgery and didn't feel anything, didn't even know until I was told a couple of days later I hope my end time will be the same.

If I am very aware that I am dying......... My plan, should the worse come about, is to turn up the gain on my morphine drip and drink a couple of martinis. Repeat as often as needed. On second thought maybe that's the time to sample oxycodone.

Dying is not the problem......living is. Living well......... being loved..... not enduring the death of your child.

• venus
    venus

ZEB,

You are fortunate to have that experience. I liked your expression: “I had a sense of drifting fwd and all cares and woes were gone behind me I was no longer a man, a husband, a dad and the voices of the ambulance crew were as many meters away, the sense of peace I had was better than morphine.”

Near Death Experiences are proofs that appear spontaneously when the victim has no control over his body or mind. “774 NDEs per day are experienced in the United States [according to a 1992 Gallup poll cited by the Near-Death Experience Research Foundation].” That means an estimated 19 million. (https://www.theepochtimes.com/how-common-are-near-death-experiences-ndes-by-the-numbers_757401.html)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Venus - Near Death Experiences are proofs

Sorry. I don't quite understand what you're saying. 'Proofs' of what? I looked at the article but couldn't discern anything.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I dont fear death. When i was a JW i actually did want to die because i was so burned out.

I think as life leaves ones body it's an experience you'll have that you will never be able to tell anyone how it feels. So it's an experience i want to have one day.

Death is simply not existing, i've not existed before so i've nothing to fear there. If medical science could make me live to 200 years old i wouldn't want it. The thought of the people i love dying all around me, and my seeing my daughter die before me would be the greatest sorrow of all.

Im a huge fan of philosopher Alan Watts. Here's what he had to say on the subject:

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Splain - I am so afraid.

I think about it all the time. Because of it I sometimes see live as pointless (what does anything matter since the second I die it will be like I never lived at all).

As a result of fading away, I am currently going through a giant unexpected life trama that has shaken me as much or more than finding out the TTATT. That is not helping me cope at all.

The thought that very very soon (tomorrow or 30 years is soon since I feel like I was 8 only last week), I will just blink out of existence is impossible for me to wrap my head around. How could that happen to me?

The thought that I will miss out on all my kids will do. Because of having kids late in life so I could slave for the kingdom, means I will not have as much time with them as normal people, I will not see my grandkids grow up, like normal people.

I am struggling.

As a side note, yesterday I watched (SPOILER ALERT FOR "THE AMERICANS"} an episode of The Americans.

I am trying to catch up. It was the one where Nina is executed. It hit me like a ton of bricks for some reason.
    I think the thought of your here, and in one second totally beyond your control or expectation, you are gone.
    For some reason I played that scene over and over with tears in my eyes the whole time.
    I had the worst feeling in my gut.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I'm not afraid of dying but I'd like to skip very old age. Think I'll sign a DNR. I don't want to be dragging myself around or confined to a bed, I'd rather just go.

Meanwhile lots of countries still to see, people to meet and wines to dink!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit