Disturbing/Puzzling Skit at JW Function Last Night Plus Odd Choice of Music

by Cadellin 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• smiddy
    smiddy

If nothing else identifies J.W`. as a cult it`s the fact that they can`t have a get together anytime ,anywhere , among family and friends without having some religious portion thrown into the mix,

What normal people include religion in family /friends social gatherings.Unless their a cult.

smiddy

• sir82
    sir82

I'll bet you a donut the singer changed this:

Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too

to this:

Nothing to kill or die for
    And true religion too

...or at least something very similar.

I like the cream-filled ones with chocolate icing, thank you very much.

• brandnew
    brandnew
    @joe πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ i woulda loved to have seen dude sing hotel cali !!!!
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Magnum: "One of them was probably the most well-known JW in my area - a smart, always sharply dressed, high-class business owner who was a very influential JW. He totally believed the 1975 stuff and told my unbelieving dad I would never finish high school ..."

Sad, isn't it. But at least that old guy had enough money put aside to afford the extra cost of nursing home with facilities for dementia patients.

Lots of witnesses may not have the funds to do that.

And, I was just thinking the other day, in another nine years, 1975 will be 50 years in the past. And the YHWH/JESUS combo show no signs of bringing the kingdom.

Maybe they need waking up. To paraphrase 1 Kings 18, where Elijah taunts the Baal priests:

27 "At noon Elijah began to make fun of them. β€œPray louder!” he said. β€œIf YHWH/JESUS really are gods, maybe they are thinking, or busy, or traveling! Maybe they are sleeping so you will have to wake them!” 28 The witnesses prayed louder, cutting themselves with swords until their blood flowed, which was the way they worshiped. 29 The afternoon passed, and the prophets continued to act like this until it was time for the evening sacrifice. But no voice was heard; YHWH/JESUS did not answer, and no one paid attention."
  • Cadellin
    Cadellin

@Sir82 Yeah, I thought the same thing. But the sound system was such that you really couldn't hear much of the words, just the melody. So even if they did change the words, not sure it would've made a difference to anyone in the audience, since you couldn't really tell.

But I asked my husband about it later, since he was involved with the music/present at the rehearsal. It would have been a perfect chance for him to say that she changed the words but he didn't. He just said he asked her if she thought it was appropriate, given the lyrics, and she did so they went with it. Like I said, weird...

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I too was at a JW gathering this weekend, but in this case a wedding. Wall to wall JWs, ahh the joy of being only thinking person in a sea of drones.

I also took the short straw because I was assigned a seat next to the presiding overseer of that congregation. Once he asked if I was a witness and I told him I didn't attend anymore, I had to endure a barrage of probing questions throughout the entire night. My wife made me promise I would not reveal my apostasy, so i had to deflect all of the questions while my blood boiled inside. I almost lost it when the PO leaned over and whispered in my ear "you know, whatever you did is in the past, and Jehovah can forgive, so he will welcome you back", so typical of JWs to just assume you must have f*cked up.

Truly disappointing to not be able to shred him apart - I have been waiting for an opportunity like this, but in the interested of harmony, I had to bite my tongue.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

WOW Redvip2000!

How did you not rip into him for that comment?? Great restraint buddy!...

Yes, it must ALWAYS be YOUR fault for not remaining active! It is NEVER the societies fault...

• Darryl
    Darryl
    "Christian" gatherings must have changed a lot since the days when I was in several years ago. The ones I used to attend used to always end up with people taking turns telling stories about someone's house being possessed by the demons. The stories I used to hear when I was a kid were traumatizing. Imagine a 8 or 9 year old kid going home and going to bed scared s*&tless as every odd noise or shadow would keep me awake all night shivering. Ahh the good old days
  • daringhart13
    daringhart13

...a very disturbing example of how this is a mind control cult.

If you get a chance, Amazon Prime has a documentary running now about the Children of God cult.... so many parallels with JW's......all cults..... just slightly different

• bafh
    bafh

Funny about "Imagine" I've heard JWs explain that song by saying Lennon must have had a JW Witness to him in order for him to write it. They hear it as what the New World will be like....

But I agree, it is probably at the very least agnostic if not atheist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit