Jesus, the Great Convincer?

by Simon 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon

Supposedly the disciples witnessed Jesus' super-power awesomeness first-hand.

So they were all 100% on-board to-the-death martyrs ... right?

erm ...

Judas betrayed him. Thomas didn't believe he'd come back. Peter denied being with him. The rest? Well, they went back to their fishing businesses after the crucifixion.

Heck, even the BS bible story propaganda doesn't have the main characters convinced!

People today are more dedicated to a cause after reading a 140 message on Twitter.

Yet we're to believe the stories about the wonder-man when the first hand witnesses in the story about him apparently didn't?

Evidence for Jesus? I don't think so.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Good points Simon.

I myself could never understand how the 500 supposed witnesses from 1 Cor 15:6 that supposedly saw Jesus resurrected could be a reason for us to believe that the resurrection indeed happened. I've not met any of those witnesses, nor have I read their first hand account of the event, so as far as I'm concerned, the bible could say there were a million witnesses, it proves nothing.

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

It really clicked for me at that Jesus convention a couple of years ago. These are just Stories. Unverifiable tales from 2000 years ago. To your point, many were apparently not so convinced by these tales - maybe because they actually saw what really happened before the spin was applied.

Don't get me started on Paul practically carrying the entire New Testament.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Come on I've seen people walk on water, change rocks into bread, turn water into wine and resurrect themselves after being killed, whats special about that ?

My friend Bob did that just recently and I don't think he's no supernatural deity from heaven

........sheesh

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

Judas betrayed him. Thomas didn't believe he'd come back. Peter denied being with him. The rest? Well, they went back to their fishing businesses after the crucifixion.

Heck, even the BS bible story propaganda doesn't have the main characters convinced!

And surely therein lies the rub. If it truly were propaganda why on earth would they have included these details?

• never a jw
    never a jw

And surely therein lies the rub. If it truly were propaganda why on earth would they have included these details?

Dan Brown's books contain more detailed narratives than any of the gospels. therefore what?.... they are true???!!

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

Jesus forgave them, that's why they're included. And somebody HAD to betray him in order for him to be crucified. Do you honestly think the son of God (assuming there is one) would have no idea one of the disciples he chose would someday betray him?

• Simon
    Simon

And why did he need to be betrayed ... because that was in the story?

Isn't that like saying that King Kong had to climb the building, otherwise how would the planes have shot at him ... and thinking it somehow proves he existed?

• Scully
    Scully

why did he need to be betrayed

Well, someone had to fulfill a prophecy, which brings me to one of my favorite questions: If Judas betrayed Jesus and fulfilled a prophecy by doing so, why is Judas hated so much? It seems to me that he is a *vital* part of the story, and without him perpetrating the betrayal, Jesus wouldn't have died to "save" mankind.

Why isn't he treated like a hero, for ensuring that Jesus fulfilled his sacrificial role?

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

We should be venerating not only the cross but the people that hung him on it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit