Three graphs in connection with the Watch Tower's current financial situation

by slimboyfat 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

I agree about the bunker mindset.

It is an organization centered around the belief of the immanent end of the world and continual increase until then.

It wasn't supposed to go past 1914, 1925, 1975, the generation that saw 1914, the end of the 20th century...Even after that, I believe the GB thought Armageddon was the ultimate solution to any 'short term' problems: legacy costs, child abuse lawsuits, any mounting debts.

Growth began to stagnate in the mid-90's...I believe there will never again be a heydey of recruitment as it existed from the 60's to the 90's. Now it's a matter of member retention and yet the members are part of the segment of society that is least educated, and therefore, contributions are not on the increase.

I do wonder if people vote with their wallet before they vote with their feet. There is a captive audience (awake JWs), and there are those who believe in it somewhat but are worn down or aphetic as well.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I imagine there are plenty of legal-ish ways for people to make money from this sort of organisation. Well-connected individuals could get paid as lawyers, construction workers, doctors, consultants, providing raw materials at favourable prices, or whatever. These in turn could provide gifts and favours to Governing Body members and directors and other influential people. Some have hinted at such a culture around the headquarters that allows people to make an easy living from the organisation.

If true this would only make a financial squeeze even more complicated and painful for the Governing Body to navigate without alienating important allies and worsening their own material conditions and comforts.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Something dodgy going on maybe

Just to be fair, I wonder if a compulsory law came into place with regard to providing care/healthcare/finances for some volunteers?

It does all look suspicious though

• Londo111
    Londo111

I do wonder how many vendors there are that surround the organization, those whose vested interest is that the organization continue and do business with them.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

So what the graphs are showing is the Borg spent tons of money a lot of it on special pioneers and other people giving them a monthly allowance, then in the last few year figured it out that it was all for not and they can't keep spending they way they have done in the past .

• alcyone
    alcyone

Here in CEE region they started to equip COs with company cars. Perhaps this was standard in the US (and other countries) long ago but here COs were using their own cars. If they launched such program for more countries, it can increase Capex / depreciation that goes to the costs of overseers, special pioneers and missionaries.

The cars were introduced only in less than 10 years (I cannot recall when).

Anyway, it is strange how the costs increased over the years, especially when this is only a fragment of the total costs (I assume Bethels are not included in the number).

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I have a family member in a non-US branch bethel, who came back to the US for vacation and received health coverage from the WT 'Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses' for the month they were here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit