Small Field Service Groups, Method of Control?

by JW_Rogue 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JW ROGUE:

This is definitely about higher control of whatever Witnesses are left in the religion..They want to get even MORE in people’s business to see if they can pick up on any clue that the person has doubts or is disgruntled.

They also want to make unwanted comments about people’s jobs, lifestyle, habits, etc..If anything, this may cause certain people to pull back even more because the intrusiveness will make them feel uncomfortable. I know I wouldn’t be able to stand this nosiness if I were there!

• dozy
    dozy

My old congregation used to have maybe 20 or so who showed up on a Saturday for the one arrangement at the KH , from about 6 groups.

Every few years there would be this kind of change , usually at the behest of a Circuit Overseer or some kind of "Society Directive". So for a few months , the publishers would meet "as groups". Inevitably for most of the groups , only a few turned out - I was a group overseer and can remember a few occasions when I was the only one who turned up. There is nothing as dispiriting as turning up at a meeting for field service group that has only 3 or 4 in attendance - quite often the same misfits that you don't really want to work with anyway,

What usually happens is that the elders and publishers get a bit hacked off so after a short period of time groups start combining with other groups and eventually the arrangement reverts back to a single one at the KH. Only to change again a couple of years later and for the whole cycle again to repeat.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Meeting in small Service Groups (originally Book Study groups) was instituted in our area at least 10 years ago. Everyone hated it because it meant you were "stuck" with the one or two other "families" in the same Group vs being able to go together with "friends". So, many just ignored it and met up with their friends.

As we began our "fade" we just worked as a family. For a while we'd make an old RV (so the kids thought we were really doing something), then got to McDonald's with the kids and then go home. Eventually, we just went to McDonald's and then went home. Finally we just quit showing up at all for Field Circus and occasionally would still go to McDonalds just to flaunt it to the group.

I think the smaller group idea was to "force" more to go out in Field Circus or else no one would show up. It esp put pressure on the Eldubs and MS families.

• Spiral
    Spiral

Reading this, I can remember this being the directive from time to time. People would then start doing their own thing, or meet up with the person they wanted to go out with after the meeting for service. It never seemed to last for long. When I was "in" I always tried to have a side arrangement with someone, because otherwise you were paired with sister who had emotional problems or was just plain hard to get along with (and shouldn't have been going door to door anyway).

Rogue, I also wondered if the powers that be think this could be an effective way for the elders to control a larger congregation (in areas where they've sold halls and combined congregations). In a large group it's harder to know what individuals are up to. Perhaps they think enforcing this small service group arrangement will help them continue to police the sheep (in the absence of any better idea).

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    Rogue, I also wondered if the powers that be think this could be an effective way for the elders to control a larger congregation (in areas where they've sold halls and combined congregations). In a large group it's harder to know what individuals are up to. Perhaps they think enforcing this small service group arrangement will help them continue to police the sheep (in the absence of any better idea).

I think so they really are emphasizing this not just as a FS arrangement but as a way to keep in touch with the Elders. The FS group overseer "is responsible" for his group. It extends the hierarchy of control down one more level but tries to make it seem like just a friendly FS arrangement.

• steve2
    steve2

Belatedly, local elders are realizing that the congregation publishers were easier to manage when there were book studies in JWs' homes. That was where field service groups met - especially on the weekend.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I liked it (NOT) when the only other person to show up was a single pioneer sister, with me, the single elder pioneer brother for afternoon service. Years later, I heard other married pioneers set it up on purpose so we would be by ourselves. Then what? It was suggested we take two cars and follow each other so as to not "be alone" in the same car.

What a bunch of dumb asses. We worked together by ourselves, glad to NOT be with them. Funny, NOTHING EVER HAPPENED. We were adults who were friends who were not trying to get into each others pants. Did not keep the gossip from ruining a true friendship.

Dont know whatever happened to her. Assume still a single pioneer with no future. Sad. She was one of the good ones.

Snakes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit