Question- do JWs use the term overlapping generations

by Xanthippe 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

... or is that one of our memes? Thanks.

• skin
    skin

Only as a talking point after it is bought up at the meetings.

• I believe in overlapping
  • road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Methinks nobody can understand it. So the end must be imminent. The only time I heard it used it was word for word from the WT.

I have noticed " apparently " has fallen off in use. Could that be because it was made fun of here?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Skin thanks.

So if I said to a relative or a JW at a cart in my town, the problem I have with your teachings now is overlapping generations would they just see it as an apostate phrase?

Seeing as their whole body of teachings that they even preached publicly for 80 years hung on the slim thread of the paradise coming in one generation from WWI, I would like to be able to use it in some way.

• Eliseo
  • Sanchy
    Sanchy

Don't think they talk much about it, except for during the few times the topic has appeared in publications/videos.

As a side note: Apologists defending the teaching usually refer to it in the singular, as in the "overlapping generation".

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think the term is used by some JW's. It's likely considered somewhat pejorative if used in a negative context, but it is the "official" term for this f***ed up New Light.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Thanks Sanchy I'll use the singular.

It's the official term is it Doc?

• careful
    careful

From the WT article pictured above. "A generation is not overly long." What does that mean?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit