Why do animals suffer?

by nicolaou 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Bonnie is fourteen years old now and she's still fit and active, but she sleeps (and farts) a lot more and is definitely slowing down.

She loves us in her own dumb way and always comes to the door to greet me when I get home from work. She doesn't 'sin' but yeah, she'll steal biscuits and feel shame afterwards. She's loyal and intelligent and I dread the day when . . . .

If my dog is a part of God's creation, what did she or her ancestors ever do to deserve the illnesses and pain that come their way? What does the massive suffering that takes place every minute of every day in the animal kingdom say about a loving creator?

As beautiful as it can be, evolution is a nasty reality sometimes.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007
    Yeah well our dogs had a garden of Eden. Fifi and Fido were told not to piss on the tree of knowledge. A serpent told Fifi it was ok but she grabbed it and shook it to death. Meanwhile Fido pissed on the tree. Does that answer your question?? My Beagle is getting old and has strangely began sleeping under our bed. My best dog I ever had! Luv that dog.
  • talesin
    talesin

Let's be concise.

Reality can be cruel and painful. It can also be glorious and blissful, and everything in-between. And we all die. The end.

or if you prefer, the even more pared-down, uber-famuos philosophy of life:

Shit happens.

xx

PS. Was thinking of my Blue today. Miss her something fierce at the holidays. RIP gurl

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Nic

The questions you propose are the very same ones that Darwin contemplated as I know you are well aware of. It's these many questions which are all part of the inquisitive tapestry driving us to enjoy the questions and answers we patch together with which I have reached conclusion like so many other athiests, that there is no divine plan but instead extraordinary ongoing random events which allows us to clearly see life for what it is - tragic and stunningly beautiful.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Our treasured pets have wonderful long lives compared to wild dogs and big cats. They give and receive love and add a huge amount to our lives. Lesson to learn? Just enjoy life yourself before you are spending your days sleeping and farting. 😆
  • eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Lotta wisdom in the old saying, "A dog is man's best friend!"

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

All organisms suffer and eventually die - not nice but that's just the way it is.

I must admit, I was never really convinced with the WT explanation of why animals suffer:

Animals suffer because Adam & Eve sinned - WTF?!?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Do they suffer? In the sense of being misserable or do they just experience pain, physical pain?

I think humans who suffer is in the sense of being aware of their circumstances and dont know the have other choice.

Are their human who experience pain but not suffering?

• Simon
    Simon

They love unconditionally and have no malice whatsoever (but yeah, just the right amount of mischief).

The notion that animals "learnt sin" from man as the WTS teaches (by seeing us kill other creatures & copying) is laughably dumb beyond belief. How did a shark learn it or some crab at the bottom of the ocean?

The reality is that we are like them, not the other way round. We're just the best evolved, most advanced animal on the planet right now but we still have a few traits left over from a dumber time in our existence and some of our kind still exhibit this handicap - belief.

Our dog is younger but she's been very ill to the point that it was touch and go. She's still having treatment but is a bundle of joy that welcomes us when we come in (even if you just go and get something from the car - I think she has the memory of a goldfish). She's pretty clever in her own way though and has her little routines that she follows - there is definitely a unique personality in there.

The idea that a god would make such beautiful creatures suffer shows there is no loving god. When you meet an old dog at the park and see them still doing their best to enjoy their walk and want to be social but slowing down you know there is no god.

Have you watched Derek? I want to go to the heaven that the dogs go to ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmrQEQCMghI

• brandnew
    brandnew
    Yes, as said already.....mans best friend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit