X-JW Hypocrisy.

by DJ 52 Replies latest jw friends

• DJ
    DJ

Tolerance : The capacity for or practice of recognizing and respecting the opinions, practices, behavior or beliefs of others.

Sadly, there is a double standard on this board practiced by many. I have had a spat with Stinky Pantz about tolerance and we have both apologized. This defintion is here for the others who think that tolerance is something that only Christians don't have much of! I admit that I am not tolerant of all practices or behaviors or beliefs That would only leave me tolerant of opinions....yet, even then I am only partly tolerant. I tolerate the fact that everyone is entilted to an opinion, so I can say that I recognize the right to one's opinion on all matters. Yet, I fall short again.....because I do not respect all opinions. Some opinions are not worthy of respect yet I am tolerant to the fact that is a person's right to have an opinion. All in all, I flunked... I would say that I am not tolerant and I'm sure that you would all agree! I'm ok with that because I never thought that I was tolerant of all things. I ask the members here to evaluate yourself honestly and tell us if you view yourself as tolerant to All others. Keep the definition in mind so that you can avoid a false rendering of yourself. Thanks for taking the time. love, dj

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

All in all a good post DJ, and I admit that in some instances I fall short in this regard.

I admit that I am not tolerant of all practices or behaviors or beliefs That would only leave me tolerant of opinions....yet, even then I am only partly tolerant. I tolerate the fact that everyone is entilted to an opinion, so I can say that I recognize the right to one's opinion on all matters. Yet, I fall short again.....because I do not respect all opinions. Some opinions are not worthy of respect yet I am tolerant to the fact that is a person's right to have an opinion.

There is nothing wrong with that. Some opinions should NOT be tolerated. Should Osama bin Laden's opinion that the United States and all it's citizens be annihilated whenever possible be condoned because he has a right to that belief?

Obviously not.

That is why I have such difficulty in being tolerant of certain individual's opinions when it comes to religion. So often religious fundamentalists spout off rhetoric on how they want you to have an open mind about their beliefs, and when you rationally debunk their faith-based theories with logic, you are branded as intolerant or argumentative. The Jehovah's Witnesses are a prime example of that. Do they have a right to believe as they wish? Certainly. Do I think that right is superceded when their beliefs endanger innocent people (blood doctrine, pedophilia) or infringe on the rights of others in examples such as invasion of privacy or not respecting someone's wishes that they not be called on at their door ? Absolutely.

More importantly than that, religion is so often the root cause behind atrocities. Throughout history, religion has been the motivating factor for wars and death. From the Spanish Inquisition, the Holy Crusades, the witchhunts, the Catholic conversion of Indians in the United States, the Palestinian intifadeh in Israel, and the so-called righteous jihad of Al-Qaeda and other Muslim fundamentalist zealots against Western society... tens, even hundreds of millions have died.

Am I tolerant of all opinions? No. Should I be? No, not when those beliefs encourage behavior which incites heinous acts against society.

Do I respect all opinions? No. Some people on this board have absolutely ludicrous beliefs. (an excellent example is AGuest, who believes God whispers things into her ear as though she is divinely chosen to be his mouthpiece, and has had visions that God resembles a dragon)

It is my inherent right NOT to respect all opinions or be tolerant of all others.

Just my 2 cents. I needed to vent on this topic, as I am sure some here (like azaria) feel I am intolerant and a hypocrite for some reason. But honestly? I could care less what others think of me. Life is not about satisfying other individual's opinions of you. It is about being happy with yourself.

Good thread.

• Francois
    Francois

I don't think that refusing to respect an opinion is hypocrisy in any circumstance, xjw or not. I have no respect for willful ignorance, for those who will not see, or the products of such ignorance; like the opinions generated from such ignorance.

I respect only the right of that person to have and to express that opinion; the opinion itself I have no obligation ethically or morally to respect.

I see no hypocrisy of the general ubiquitous type to which you refer on this bb or in this group.

francois

• DJ
    DJ

Francois,

You missed the point really bad....Being intolerant is not the hypocrisy. It's the self righteous act of claiming tolerance for oneself while being intolerant of others because you don't agree, etc...

Reborn,

Thanks for being honest to a degree..... To justify our intolerance by citing violence is a cop-out, imo. Naturally, I was not referring to Osama or other criminal acts...

• sf
    sf
    I don't think that refusing to respect an opinion is hypocrisy in any circumstance, xjw or not. I have no respect for willful ignorance, for those who will not see, or the products of such ignorance; like the opinions generated from such ignorance.

I respect only the right of that person to have and to express that opinion; the opinion itself I have no obligation ethically or morally to respect.

I see no hypocrisy of the general ubiquitous type to which you refer on this bb or in this group.

What a load of bull balls served cold!!

sKally, willful opinion klass

• shamus
    shamus

Hmmm..
    This is the internet... and people can say / believe what they want. The definition of right is pretty obscure, and you can argue till the cows come home, and go through six keyboards doing it. If I had someone who continually harassed me, I would just ignore them. If I couldn't handle it, I would just leave. It's only the internet, and not an actual kingdom hall.

• Introspection
    Introspection

Maybe I'm kind of slow, but I'm not sure what's meant by this. I would say I can respect and tolerate what other people think or do, just don't expect me to practice the same thing, hold the same opinion or even hold it with some kind of honor (which is not my understanding of respect, I don't even honor my own ideas) - but if that's your deal you go on ahead. I mean whether we tolerate it or not it's going to exist right? A sure way of stressing yourself out is to resist against something that exists in spite of your opinion about it, because reality is always going to win. Are we talking about tolerating other people's ideas and practices or our reactions to them? The funny thing is we start by resisting against somebody's opinion, but then we feel that resistance in ourselves in some form of stress, and that can get intense enough to where it's intolerable.

Now if you're talking about making some kind of difference, then put your energy into that - but you're not going to make a lot of difference by talking to someone or even a limited group of people who you're not reaching, you have to either put your energy into some new strategy or just try with other people, if that's really what you want to do. But I don't even see the need to do anything to tolerate an opinion someone else holds - they hold the opinion, not me. I have to actually put some effort into being intolerant of it, so maybe I'm just not up to expending that energy. Not only do I need to interact with them for this to become an issue, I need to interact with them in a way that is relevant to the differences at hand - otherwise why would it even come up unless you make it a problem?

• DJ
    DJ

LOL Introspection... I am merely asking a question and you've become quite defensive! Do you consider yourself to be tolerant? I am not and I don't feel the need to be viewed as such. The question is, do you claim to be tolerant and if so, are you sure of the defintion of the word? Once we grasp the definition of tolerance, perhaps we are able to admit to that we are not.

In the USA, it is politically correct to be "tolerant". I claim no such title nor do I want to. The question remains for those who claim tolerance for themselves.......do you even understand what the word means or are you a hypocrit with two scales of measurement? It isn't easy to be self-righteous and admit hypocrisy at the same time. That's the point. Either you are tolerant by definition or you need to find new vocabulary for the description of yourself. Otherwise we are ignorant and hypocritical. Some people will argue til the cows come home and deny that they are intolerant while they don't even understand the heck the word even means. You cannot redefine the word to suit yourself.......LOL. I don't expect many to reply. It is hard for some to quit being righteous unto themselves. It is enough if you've just read this and given it consideration in honesty. I see the new politically correctness of this country to be in denial of the the mwning of the word. We are to be tolerant of behaviors, opinions, beliefs and practices while the accuser doesn't take himself into account. Do you need specific examples? I am vague? I don't want to offend by choosing a particular issue because the thread will turn into an argument over the issue I choose. Keep that in mind, please. I will be brave enough to bring to the table the homosexuality issue for example. Those who are homosexual and those who are "tolerant" of the behavior.......are they tolerant to the belief of those who are intolerant of that behavior? If they call themselves tolerant while exhibiting intolerance to those who view it as sin....are they tolerant of the belief that person? The answer is plainly, NO. If you claim tolerance, then atleast know what the word means and don't use two scales to measure yourself. Otherwise you are a hypocrit....dj

• Brummie
    Brummie

If everyone could just be tolerant with everyone that agrees with me, the world would be a much better place.

brummie

• DJ
    DJ

Ahhhh, Brummie...I always liked you! Thanks for your intelligence and honesty and humor!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit