Dissenters in Watchtower History: Differing Departures

by slimboyfat 49 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• careful
    careful

Yes, Penton and Jonsson are important.

Here's another non-American example that I recall reading about in the old KH library when I'd escape from the deadening meetings, duck inside, and read the old lit. There was a guy in the early days of the WTS history in Taiwan who was put in charge locally there (maybe under Rutherford?) but who had a falling out with the WTS HQ in NY, was removed as branch servant (or whatever they called it then), but took the vast majority of Witnesses there with him. Something like 90% of the active Witnesses there followed the guy for years. WTS growth in Taiwan suffered for decades. It was almost nil for that long. Once Gilead got going, they kept funneling missionaries in there but with no real effect. All this was written up in one of the old yearbooks from the 70s or thereabouts. I suppose that WTS growth has finally taken off there now, but the guy's effect was huge for a long time. In numbers it's probably more significant than the Bottings or Bill Cetnar.

Another name to ponder perhaps is musician Frank Kavelin, long-time big name elder in Los Angeles whose dad was tight with GB I. The son used to go to NY to conduct the WTS orchestra for assembly and other recordings. I don't know, however, of any big influence he's had in getting others to leave...

His story:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/180011/dncall-unmasked-part-1-5?page=1

My two cents.

Glad to see you back and posting SBF! Bedazzle us with your intelligent contributions like you used to.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Another name to ponder perhaps is musician Frank Kavelin

Frank didn't help me leave, but he and his wife Barbara have been a huge help and support after I left, especially in those first few months when I was so emotionally fragile.

But Frank is not an outspoken dissenter. He is just a regular guy trying to live the rest of his life as normally as possible after spending the majority of it in a high-control, authoritarian cult.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Carl Olof Jonsson sounds like a good pick.
  • JeffT
    JeffT
    Richard Rawe was a great speaker and a tireless agent for publicizing wrongful actions by Watchtower leaders. He gave interviews all over the place, making news organizations aware of corruption among the elders and higher up. I met him at an XJW support group in the late eighties. I admired his courage and pursuit of what he thought to be right. I didn't always agree with him on what that might be, and he was OK with that. He saw himself as a freedom fighter.
  • FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

On this board there have been some great posts by some very eloquent writers.

Alan Feuerbacher: An early JWD poster who wrote numerous in-depth essays on various Watchtower doctrinal issues. His arguments continue to be top notch today.

Terry Walstrom: A very prolific JWN poster at times. An out-of-the-box thinker.

Len
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Two additional names I'd like to toss into the hat:

James Penton and

Jerry Bergman

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Yes JeffT, I remember Richard Rawe as part of the "phone tree" that the apostates were linked up to. Spoke to him on the phone on numerous occasions.
  • betterdaze
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Posters here are great, none greater than Leolaia, but I don't think simply being a great poster in an online forum qualifies as an important dissident from the Watchtower. Randy Watters, James Penton and Barbara Anderson have all posted here too, but their significant contributions in terms of their defection were made elsewhere and largely in the real world rather than online.
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    Duane Magnani, Leonard and Marjorie Crietein , David A Reed, Ed Decker,Lori MacGregor ( I wonder if she is still with us) made some very instrumental contributions from the late 1970's, SBL I'm surprised that you've noticed the amount of WT dissenters through the years considering you view them and the biggest and fastest growing group on the planet

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit