2022 - 1914 = ?

by fedup 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

My 89 Y O father still has faith that he won't die because there are still a few people alive born in 1914. He based his whole life, and now his death as well, on a false prophecy. The mental prison JW's are in is astounding.

• waton
    waton
    My 89 Y O father

SB: is that the caption for the picture? that violates at least on of the ten tenets. but:

like father, like son, so, is that a selfie?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SEA BREEZE:

That drawing is a good illustration of what a JWs mind is like. They are truly captive.

I could say I’m sorry for your father but what if he’s happy? As long as you are out he can believe what he wants. I’m glad I’m Out and don’t care what anybody believes about anything.

Yes there are a few elderly people scattered here and there who are of that particular generation. When these people finally die off, I truly believe the Witness religion will be secretly RELIEVED.. No disgruntled living witnesses left to any wrong teaching. This has always been the solution to any embarrassing or faulty teachings, wrong prophecy and whatnot.. Father Time.

• blondie
    blondie

My husband was a newly baptized jw as we started coming up on 1994 and the WTS did a little song and dance article on what generation meant. Then in 1995 they hit members with the big explanation of how the new meaning of generation affected the 70 or 80 year scripture. I had told my husband after I read the article when the WT came in the mail, I told my husband and he said, "You predicted that 2 years ago." I am a prophet and didn't know it. And know the WTS has adjusted that using "overlapping generation." I wonder what they would say if the day comes when that teaching becomes outdated? I figure I will not be around to see it though.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Two of Watchtower's friends are elapsed time and poor memories.

Most JWs (and perhaps some on this board) aren't aware that the "beginning of the time of the end" year 1914 had a predecessor -- 1799. How Watchtower wriggled out of that 1799 date may help us understand how they will try to wriggle out of its replacement year, 1914.

What Watchtower said 125 years ago:

'As already pointed out in MILLENNIAL DAWN, the great prophetic period termed "The Day of His Preparation," began in 1799 and will end with 1914: and it is the advancement of this "day" and the light which God provides, necessary for its work, that has brought the wonders of the present, and is rapidly now bringing on the conditions for the great time of trouble, for the overthrow of present imperfect conditions and the establishment of the Kingdom of God's dear Son.' Zion's Watch Tower, July 1, 1897 p 194.

What Watchtower said 114 years ago:

'The “Time of the End,” a period of one hundred and fifteen (115) years, from A. D. 1799 to A. D. 1914, is particularly marked in the Scriptures. “The Day of His Preparation” is another name given to the same period, because in it a general increase of knowledge, resulting in discoveries, inventions, etc., paves the way to the coming Millennium of favor, making ready the mechanical devices which will economize labor, and provide the world in general with time and conveniences, which under Christ’s reign of righteousness will be a blessing to all and aid in filling the earth with the knowledge of the Lord.' Millenial Dawn, Thy Kingdom Come (1908) p 23.

Then -- What Watchtower said to wriggle out from 1799 some 15 years after 1914.

“For a long while it has been understood that "the time of the end" began with 1799 A.D. and con- tinued until 1914, and that the beginning thereof is specifically marked by the fact that Papacy at that time received a severe blow. While many facts seem to support that conclusion, the proof is not by any means conclusive. Such may have been a miniature fulfilment.” The Watch Tower, Dec 1, 1929 p. 355

Also:

“ Taking all these scriptures together, and knowing that they must be in exact harmony with one another, and taking the well known facts in connection therewith, it is easy to be seen that the definitely fixed "time of the end" was and is 1914 A.D. Nothing came to pass in 1799 that corresponds so well with these prophecies as did in 1914.” The Watch Tower, Dec 1, 1929 p. 357

• Judgerussellford
    Judgerussellford

1874, 1875, 1876, 1914, 1925, 1975, and as recently as 1989 it was the year 2000. Its funny they still do the same thing without specific dates. "We're in the last days", "its just around the corner", "We're in the Final part, of the FINAL PART, of the last days" comical really

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit