Anyone ever get blow back for owning and riding a motorcycle?

by JimmyYoung 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

My wife's family rode motorcycles all their life. Her grandfather was an elder. I was told by some dubbers that it was not christian to use a motorcycle. I don't remember any writings from the cult. Any stories?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

During the 1960's and 70's motorcycles were seen as dangerous, rebellious and worldly due to their image from gangs and the unlawful people who usually rode them.

Lets just say a man who rode a Harley to the Kingdom Halls would most likely be passed over for an elder position .

Now if you drove a big four door car, well thats completely different.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I think this may be a country thing. Here in the UK it has never been a problem for me, I have been a biker all my life. I still know elders who ride bikes, one has a Hyabusa, BMW S100RR, etc. Many others including mine which I will not list as it could ID me/them.

I remember one brother who came to the meeting on his bike, brought his suit to change into from his leathers but forgot his shoes. All through his talk people were looking at his boots squeezed under his suit trousers.

I must say I don't know anyone who rides a Harley however. They're such bad taste...….

(Awaiting multi dislikes)

George

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What happens if you drive an approved car recklessly? It is possible to commit crimes using an approved car as well as with a motorcycle. And I don't care what brand of motorcycle you choose--I prefer one that is reliable and safe.

Speaking of safety, motorcycles can be quite safe when ridden properly. Your gear is important, starting with the helmet. You also need to ride at reasonable and prudent speeds, and avoid weaving in and out of lanes. Filtering through traffic is not a good idea even if legal, because you do not know if the cars are going to come together unexpectedly. They can also be quite dangerous, if you ride recklessly. You pop wheelies at your own risk--a big sustained wheelie can lead to a wipeout (a small wheelie can be used to clear a bump, and if you know what you are doing, actually make it safer). And riding in the rain or snow is risky--even a bicycle needs to be handled carefully in snow.

But, I would rather ride a motorcycle safely, Harley or not, than riding an approved car recklessly. You set a better example by driving safely and not using your vehicle to commit crimes (including drink driving--which is absolutely insane on a motorcycle) than what you drive. And, a motorcycle in excellent running condition is safer than an approved car that is falling apart and the floor is starting to sag.

• Marcial
  • Marcial
    Marcial

This photo datée of 1933 est exraite de jw events on which is little contestable that the motocyclette was one of the moyen of transport privileged of Etudiants of the Bible today connu under a other nom

Marcial

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

I have been riding bikes since my first one at 14yo. It was a Rupp Roadster. It was more than a mini bike but less than a motor cycle. I had a 4 horse Tecumseh on it. It was in a fire and my dad bought it for me to rebuild. It was hard to get parts for it even when they were in business. My next bike was a Yamaha 360 1977. My last three bikes were a Harley 883 2008, 2005 Dyna and my last bike 2014 Heritage softail bought new. The idea that Harley Davidsons are somehow are in bad taste is out and out crazy.

I live in realville,The fact is that if you want a highly reliable bike Harley is not it but neither is BMW rated as one of the worst for reliability. I will post a failure rate that shows the Japanese bikes are the most reliable on the market by far. Harley is on top for the happiness factor. More Harley owners are happy with their bike than any other brand.

Harley has a long history and it is much more colorful than any other bike other than maybe Indian but they were out of business for a long time. Harley won the engine wars. Its hard to find a bike that has an inline four in a cruiser especially. I know this to be true that the Japanese bikes are great. I had a Yamaha 750 Tripple, then a Yamaha 700 Maxium. I did nothing to any but standard maintenance. That said there is nothing like the V twin thumping away. Its like saying you can take a ride in a Leer Jet or you can ride in a Boeing B17. If you take the leer jet you are not a plane person. The B17 is a thousand times cooler.

As far as safe, I sold my last Harley about 9 months ago. As I get older I have to admit I don't have the reaction time I had when I was younger. The other is huge factor that no matter how safe you are, how many times you watch out for everything you can not ever watch out for the bad other driver. I have been cut off, run off the main road, drove in front of in that a car will cross the road not seeming to see I was there and almost run into when lane changing. You can never take this into account. Some idiot can just change a lane and smack into you with no warning to detect. I have had deer bolt out of the blue in wooded areas that was way too close for comfort. About a year ago in the US there was a Truck that crossed the line and hit several bikes head on and killed 7 and hurt more. I decided I had a good run and even took a bike trip from Michigan to Washington state in the late 80s. Its time to take my winnings and leave the table. I ended up putting my money from the Harley into a 1980 Pontiac Firebird. It was in a pole barn with other cars in a trust for 35 years. It had only 35k miles original on it. its fun as heck to drive and I get people waving at me almost as much as biker to biker waves.

There is no rust on it at all. It was an Oklahoma car and saw no salt. I just replaced the window sweeps inside and out and had to take the door panels off and I would be hard pressed to get a bit of rust wiping my finger on the inside of the door. No body filler at all on it. On the up side unlike a bike, I can ride in comfort if it starts to rain, or if its cold. On the down side on a good warm sunny day it does not have the same wind in the hair thump thump of my Harley. But on the up side if I get in an accident hit a deer or some idiot runs into me I have a 3800 pound steel cage around me. Don't get me wrong I will always jones for a ride on a bike, and if I did buy another I would most likely be a Yamaha Vstar. No its not a harley but it rides nice has a vtwin and has very little repair issues. I doubt I will but if I did.

1. Yamaha/Star (11 percent failure rate)
    2. Suzuki and Honda (12 percent)
    3. Kawasaki (15 percent)
    4. Victory (17 percent)
    5. Harley-Davidson (26 percent)
    6. Triumph (29 percent)
    7. Ducati (33 percent)
    8. BMW (40 percent)
    9. Can-Am (42 percent)
  • road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Lack of respect for life was the story. Same line as parachuting, race driving, bungee jumping, rock climbing

Going dtd or standing at a cart in a blizzard is not life threatening though

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

Oh ya lack of respect for life. I got that when I moved from one cong. that hunting was a norm, to one where it was not. In that cong, hunting was called lack or respect for life. I used to hunt a lot but quit since I just do not enjoy it any longer. I don't condemn it but I don't do it. I would rather watch a deer, Turkey ect just feeding in a field than hunt them.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    The idea that Harley Davidsons are somehow are in bad taste is out and out crazy.

The Atlantic divides humour as well as bike choices JY!

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit