1970's Russell Pyramid Photo!

by Atlantis 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

1970's photo of the Russell Pyramid. The picture was sent to us by a former Bethelite who was also the person who took the picture. Of course, the Pyramid is not there anymore.

Atlantis!
  • WingCommander
    WingCommander

Wow! So much "human / ancestoral worship" taking place in this photo!

Look at that little infant.....errrr........"Little enemy of God!" Why, if this photo was take in 1974 (ya know, right before The End in 1975) why that infant is now 50 years old!

This cult has ZERO shame, self-awareness, or conscious.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Click the link -- Had no idea it was so big!

(That's what she said.)

• Freeorange
    Freeorange

Atlantis thank you for this! Is there any context of why they were there? Just checking it out or was it a Bethel thing?

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

WingCommander:

It was 1973 and in those days the sisters wore their dresses a little higher than today, I guess. And you are right, talk about idolatry! Worship of a man who was one of the best con-artists in history.

--------------------------

Freeorange:

It looks as if half the congregation was there and some of the others were standing in different places. Looks like everyone had one purpose and that was to honor a man they thought was still directing things on earth from the grave.

Religion, what a snare and a racket!

Atlantis!

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert

I went to KM school in 1969, in Pittsburgh [Schroder and Davis instructors] . Was taken on a tour of the pyramid and shown Russel's haberdashery shop [building still standing].

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

CT Russell:

Haberdashery Shop?

FAILURE

Inventing and profiting off a New World Cult he created based on cherry-picked beliefs from the Adventist movement, Christadelphians, Masons, Numerology, Pyramidology, and anything else he liked?

SUCCESS!

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert

Russel had a Haberdashery shop. His wife had the money.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Thanks Atlantis once again for the share!

This thread is perhaps not the best place to say this but I can’t find the other photo thread:

I am skeptical of the idea that Watchtower would have vandalised it themselves, or would have organised for the pyramid to be vandalised. They long ago came to terms with the pyramidology in their past. They even put in the Proclaimers book and various WT magazines. More than that, it’s become part of their self-understanding that they have been “refined” and wrong teachings have been discarded over time, including pyramidology. So far from undermining the faith, they’ve spun a narrative where Russell’s pyramid fits well with the idea of progressive truth and increasing light. So I can see little reason for them to want to get rid of the pyramid on Russell’s grave. Why didn’t Watchtower have it restored when it was vandalised? Because they don’t care about it that much. They wouldn’t have got rid of it in the first place, but neither do they want to go out of their way to try to rebuild it.

On the other hand the pyramid became totemic for some former JWs because it epitomises false Watchtower teachings, with hints of association with Freemasons and so on. Ex-JWs who get upset about alleged Masonic links can be among the loudest and most vehement opponents of Watchtower. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a former JW who believes Russell and modern JWs are perhaps under the control of masons in some way who decided to vandalise Russell’s pyramid.

That’s my reaction to the vandalism and removal. Or am overlooking something?

• Earnest
    Earnest
    slimboyfat : Or am overlooking something?

I agree with you that JWs would be unlikely to feel strongly about pyramidology. However, there still exist a number of groups that split after Russell died who still follow his writings (and still print them). It could be that someone involved with them (an ex or an opposer) took out their anger on the pyramid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit