If Prince had an addiction to prescriptions drugs, it's a personal matter but if I want to grow a beard or attend college, it's not.

by ToesUp 29 Replies latest jw friends

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Interesting article I found about Prince and the JW religion. I guess they are trying to get their 15 minutes of fame. I find it disturbing that the Elder stated if Prince had an addiction to Prescription drugs, that is a personal matter but the hundreds of intrusive JW rules like going to college (not scriptural) and growing a beard (also not scriptural) are not also considered a personal choice. You talk about "gulping down the camel and straining out the gnat." HYPOCRISY AT IT'S BEST!

Inside-Prince-s-Jehovah-s-Witness-Church

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Everything you do, from whether or not you smoke, whether or not you wear tight pants or whether or not you believe a certain JW doctrine is a "personal matter ! Since when do they not get involved in the personal matters of the congregation members?

This comes as it emerged the Purple Rain star was cremated in secret on Friday - in accordance with Jehovah’s Witness tradition that a person’s body must be cremated within a week of death. -DailyMail
    You can't really go too much by what is said in the media....they always get things skewed or just make things up. Who knows how this reporter came up with this bit of nonsense.

• Butyoucanneverleave
    Butyoucanneverleave
    I saw that article too Pete Zahut. And no that is not a requirement of a JW. You have to take everything with a grain of salt. But I do believe that they will do or say anything to get even a small piece of Prince's fortune.
  • oppostate
    oppostate

From that article in the Daily Mail here's the KH of the Congregation Prince belonged to:

Caption: Prince, who officially converted to the religion in 2003, is associated with the Jehovah’s Witness Kingdom Hall, Saint Louis Park congregation in Minneapolis

The photo of the inside made me notice some interesting details.

Caption: The singer attended a 50-minute ceremony at the church (pictured) on March 23 to commemorate the death of Jesus – an event celebrated by Jehovah’s Witnesses all over the world

It's an old KH style, that was common back in the 80's. The side windows and the ugly light fixtures are from that style, and not the more modern RBC's window-less walls with parabolic light fixtures.

Also the chrome legged chairs are what most KH used three decades ago, and in what hideous colors. Around here in New England the RBC changed over to a similar yet wider steel frame construction, painted and not chromed, and also a little bit wider and more plush by a half an inch on the seat.

They're obviously meeting for going out in service and the projection screen is down ??? I thought they were moving away from projectors and screens, there seems to be a large screen tv at the right hand side of the photo.

If as the article points out Prince gave "gifts of mercy", in considerable amounts of the monetary sort, then that dough wasn't making it to the local congregation's remodeling of the KH. It seems Momma WT must have been the recipient instead.

• oppostate
    oppostate

George Cook, OMG, George F'ing Cook, whattttt!

Caption: Elder George Cook (right), one of the nine elders of the small 90-person congregation, said Prince regularly ‘witnessed’ alone in the community and in groups

George Cook was DO in our District over two decades ago. He was very detail oriented and very eccentric. He was very controlling and very devoted to Momma WT. It's interesting he still does his hair in a "overlapping" comb-over fashion and wears 1990's eyeglass frames.

His real family name is Greek. But they shortened it to Cook. This once powerful District Overseer must have been put to retirement as with other DO's. The article says he's 81 years old. He wielded a lot of power and expected total allegiance. It is interesting to see how the mighty have fallen. He was once in charge of the Caribbean, traveling the islands and having a grand ol' time. Now he just looks like any little old man in a suit a bit too big for him.

Did you ever get to meet George Cook?

-------------------------------------------------------

@ToesUp

Thanks for bringing out this article. I found it very interesting if somewhat inaccurate about the cremation traditions etc.

I agree that there's definitely a double standard when it comes to those favored among the 0rganization. But...

As the case with George Cook, now just an elder in Prince's home congregation, the mighty ones can come crashing down when Momma WT doesn't need them much anymore.

--------------------------------------------------

(I also want to apologize to ToesUp for hijacking his post with my comments that didn't quite follow the thread of intended discussion. I know there are quite a lot of posts about Prince, and I didn't want to fork this information needlessly, yet I feel I may have been hijacking his post since I was commenting on George Cook and the KH itself so if you'd like to comment on George Cook or the KH I've started a post just about that only
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5732286779621376/george-cook-former-do-now-just-elder-princes-home-congregation-kh).
  • Robo Bobo
    Robo Bobo

He refused to have a hip replacement because it required a blood transfusion. More will be revealed with autopsy results but it sounds like he was in a lot of pain. Pills may have seemed to be the lesser of two evils...

source: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/jun/11/prince-refuses-hip-surgery

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    We just had a family member have a bloodless surgery hip replacement. He is doing 100% better. He's just a middle class blue collar worker. Prince had more money than God and could have hired the best of the best doctors and paid in cash.
  • flipper
    flipper
    Prince's addictions to painkillers was considered a " personal matter " by this elder because Prince probably donated hundreds of thousand of $$$$ of " gifts of mercy " - for all other rank & file JW's addiction to painkillers would mean a hot seat in a judicial committee. Double standards - much ? Ridiculous
  • rebel8
    rebel8
    Just because one person did a bloodless hip surgery doesn't mean that everyone could. Medical situations vary from person to person. You never know what else he may have been dealing with that made bloodless surgery impossible.
  • rebel8
    rebel8
    Jehovah’s Witness tradition that a person’s body must be cremated within a week of death.

WTF?

Elder Cook also said the church does not have a problem with Prince’s reported addiction to prescription drugs because ‘that’s a personal matter’.
    Finally, the truth is spoken. They do not have issues with alcoholism or prescription drug addiction. Only illegal drugs are from Satan.
    ‘We are in to homeopathy and things like that, because nothing is 100 per cent.'

And I'm so glad he came clean about their belief in useless water--I mean homeopathy--having magical properties to heal. So glad to see this in writing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit