What The Bible Says About War (Awake 2017 Issue No. 5)

by Divergent 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Divergent
    Divergent

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/awake-no5-2017-october/what-bible-says-about-war/

THE BIBLE'S VIEWPOINT

War

In ancient times, the Israelites waged war in the name of their God, Jehovah. Does this mean that God approves of modern warfare?

Why did ancient Israel go to war?

WHAT SOME PEOPLE SAY

The Israelites worshipped a bloodthirsty “tribal war god.”

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS

The nations whom Israel defeated were thoroughly corrupted by violence and depraved practices​—including bestiality, incest, and child sacrifice. After giving them centuries to change their ways, God said: “It is by all these things that the nations that I am driving out from before you have made themselves unclean.”​—Leviticus 18:21-25; Jeremiah 7:31.

“It is because of the wickedness of these nations that Jehovah your God is driving them away from before you.”​—Deuteronomy 9:5.

Does God take sides in war today?

YOU MAY HAVE OBSERVED

In many conflicts, religious leaders on both sides claim that God is on their side. “Religion has always played a part in every war that was ever fought,” says the book The Causes of War.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS

Christians are not authorized to fight against their enemies. The apostle Paul wrote to fellow Christians: “If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. Do not avenge yourselves.”​—Romans 12:18, 19.

Instead of sending his followers to war, Jesus told them: “Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those who persecute you, so that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens.” (Matthew 5:44, 45) Even when the nation in which they live goes to war, Christians should remain neutral, “no part of the world.” (John 15:19) If God wants his worshippers in all nations to love their enemies and to remain separate from the world, how could he support either side of a violent conflict today?

“My Kingdom is no part of this world. If my Kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my Kingdom is not from this source.”​—John 18:36.

Will war ever end?

WHAT SOME PEOPLE SAY

War is inevitable. “War has a future,” says the book War and Power in the 21st Century. “There is no danger of universal and perpetual peace breaking out in this century.”

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS

Wars will end when no one has the desire to wage war. Consequently, God’s Kingdom​—a real government that rules from heaven—​will soon act to disarm our planet and to teach humans to pursue peace. The Bible assures us that God will “set matters straight respecting mighty nations far away. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, nor will they learn war anymore.”​—Micah 4:3.

The Bible teaches that under God’s Kingdom there will no longer be national governments competing for their own interests, unjust policies prompting citizens to revolt, or prejudice that fuels ethnic divisions. As a result, war will vanish. “They will not cause any harm or any ruin,” God promises, “because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah as the waters cover the sea.”​—Isaiah 11:9.

“He is bringing an end to wars throughout the earth. He breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the military wagons with fire.”​—Psalm 46:9.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks
    WHAT SOME PEOPLE SAY

Jehovah (the God of Love) vs Satan (the Devil)

The battle of the bloodthirsty tribal war gods.

https://youtu.be/6IrtdLukslY

• Divergent
    Divergent

This recent article from the Awake magazine really hit a nerve with me. Even when I was an active JW, this subject always bothered me. The million dollar question that the article DOES NOT address is this:

If the God of the bible really HATES war / violence, then WHY does he (a "God of love", wisdom, justice, and power, who is also gracious, kind, "merciful & compassionate", "slow to anger", etc.) choose to use the very methods which go AGAINST all his aforementioned qualities???

The only part from the above article which I truly agree with is this:

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

What??

That article condemns the false religious, non Jehovah worshipping nations for crimes like "incest"??!!??

Um, hang on...what about Lot? Hmmm?

Im sure we can think of MANY OTHER deplorable activities carried out by "Gods chosen people"?

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@jwleaks Omg the music killed me in that video. The end part was the best... There's one more: God killed Jesus. Ha!

• John Free
    John Free

An interesting comparison between jehovah of armies and worldly nations such as the USA and the UK would be to consider how these parties have sought regime change. The latter while not conducting themselves perfectly by any means intended to limit civilian casualties when overthrowing the Taliban in Afghanistan and the Iraq dictator Sadam Hussain- attacking the military and military installations. The God of love Jehovah however decided that the best way to overthrow the Egyptian dictator pharaoh was to launch attacks directly aimed at the Egyptian people, even murdering babies in the 10th horrific plague-such a brave God. Yep you heard it here first folks, Jehovah hates violence...

• Counter-Watchtower
    Counter-Watchtower

What does Jehovah's Org say when you live in a country where its monitory to serve in the military for 2 years, like in Israel today? The New Testament says to obey the your government authorities.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@Counter-Watchtower When it comes to conscription, alternative service and abiding with governmental authorities, the WT leadership has at times flip-flopped on the matter, and downright spoken out of both sides of its mouth for different JW branches across the globe, resulting in the unnecessary torture, incarceration and deaths of Witnesses simply following their religious leaders' orders. Please watch from 12:00 of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqYUCV4FHI4

Further reading:

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/malawi-mexico-oath-allegiance.php

• steve2
    steve2

My oh my! I am surprised and I shouldn't be. What a dumbed down article about war, with no reference whatsoever to their sacred 1914 doctrine.

I clicked on the "Next" tab thinking it would take me to a more in-depth appraisal of this important question about the cessation of war and there was nothing else on the topic.

Remember when JW literature confidently asserted that the end (of war) would come before the passing of the generation that witnessed the outbreak of World War One in 1914? And that God's kingdom would be ruling before the end of the 20th Century?

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    “If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. Do not avenge yourselves.”​

That sentences says: "IF POSSIBLE". doesn't that imply that sometimes, it won't be possible??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit