WARNING to anyone considering purchasing a VW from 1997 - on

by SpunkyChick 25 Replies latest jw friends

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

I am at the end of my rope with my 2002 VW Jetta GLS. I traded in my 1997 VW Jetta (which had tons of problems....I'd just figured I'd gotten a bum car and decided to give the new Jetta's a try). Well since I purchased my 2002 Jetta in October 2001, it's been in the shop for:

1. Air leak in drivers side window – taken to dealership twice. At higher speeds vehicle still sounds like a convertible.

2. CD Player wouldn’t eject CD’s – CD player replaced

3. Engine light indicator on – 3 trips to dealership

4. Engine coils needed replacing – vehicle was shaking and smoking

5. Re-called for ABS problems

6. Arm rest is broken

7. Flimsy body of vehicle – bumper and stone guard coming off

, the stone deflector in the front of my vehicle became detached (I admit I pulled in too far and bumped the concrete parking block). My friends who were with me were shocked that the minor bump would cause the damn bumper to come off! I took the vehicle to three places to get repair estimates. One of the places was the VW body shop . They stated I needed a whole new bumper and weren’t certain they could match the color of the new bumper to the rest of my vehicle! And this is a new car!! The estimated cost of the repair $1,079.50!!

I had my vehicle repaired at an independent shop for $178.76! They reattached the stone guard. The bumper did not need replacing. Nice to know VW was looking out for the loyal customer.

I have looked into Colorado's Lemon Law and am waiting to hear back from the lawyer. I've written VW and been calling them regularly on their customer service hotline. I want to warn everyone out there not to make the same mistake I did with this incompetent vehicle. I have 2 other friends who purchased VW's the same time I did...and we've all had problems with them.

I've heard Honda's are reliable cars...what do you all suggest for a reliable car?

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I have a 2002 Jetta GLS, and so far Its the best car I've ever owned. No Problems at all.

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

You are lucky and I'm happy it's working out for you....my situation is a nightmare!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I bought a VW back in 1981 and it was the single best car I ever owned. I ran it into the ground and sold it 12 years later. I don't know how many miles it had on it (over 150,000) because the odometer had long since quit on me.

However I replaced it with another VW and it SUCKED! Second worst car I've ever owned (right after the Chevy Chevette Nina had when I married her). Everything was wrong with that piece of no good *&@!!. It was such a bad experience I swore off VWs completely.

Now I've convered to the First Church of Honda and I'm born again.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I heard hondas are pretty reliable, but the insurance is really high. I also own a chrysler Sebring (piece of crap).

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I own a 1998 New Beetle, and admit that it is a tad lower than I like - and I need to watch out for those curb-stop thingos that they put into parking lots, as I've nearly pulled off the lower cowling in front, but else-wise, I am very pleased with my VW.

The engineers have thought through a lot - and it shows in the little details. (Like, it won't start if I don't have the clutchj peddle depressed. I know, I know... but sometimes I get in a rush, or forget. <grin>)

My friends Joe and Sheri are in the Automotive repair business, and are always trying to get me to 'soup up' my Beetle. hahahahaha I may take them up on it.

(Of course, one thing that Joe wants to do is to add a wind-up key on the trunk lid... I am not convinced I would like that. hahahaha)

The really cool thing about my VW? It's a diesel, and gets over 50mpg on the highways... 43+mpg in the city. I do a lot of smiling knowing that little detail.

Regards,

Jim TX

P.S. I've heard that Hondas are good reliable cars - go for it.

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick
    Now I've convered to the First Church of Honda and I'm born again.

LOL! Aight, I've discovered yet another Honda fan...I will have to continue my research into them.

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

According to one of the automotive trade journals floating around at work, VW has one of the worst customer satisfaction records, even below Chrysler. Honda, Hyundai, Lexus and Mercedes were at the top.

Stan

• rocketman
    rocketman

I own a Honda Civic, 2001 model. I considered a Jetta before buying the Civic. Both were used. I bought the Civic based on performance and Honda's record of reliability. CU always speaks so highly of Honda Products.

• DIM
    DIM

I bought a 1991 Honda Civic in 1999 with 66,000 miles for $3400 and have only had routine work done on it (including timing belt type stuff)...and the insurance is LOW! I'd never part with it.

My wife owns a 2000 Ford Focus....we've put on 50,000 miles...no problems, excellent customer service. I'd highly recommend it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit