Why Jehovah`s Witnesses are wrong emphasising the name Jehovah.

by smiddy3 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• johnamos
    johnamos
    It is a made up name from about the 12th or 13th century that took the tetragrammaton (YHWH) and combined the vowel structure of the word Adonai ("Lord").

Are any of these names made up from the 12th or 13th century combined with the vowel structure of the word Adonai?

Jehoshaphat - Jeremiah

Jehoiakim - Isaiah

Jehoram - Nehemiah

Jehoiachin - Zechariah

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    Are any of these names made up from the 12th or 13th century

Hey Johnamos...I just invented a few names of my own using 'Jeho':

Jehorad

Jehono

Jehovick

Jehoben

Raymundo Martini, the Catholic Spanish Monk of the 13th century did the same damn thing late one night after drinking a pitcher of Sangria...He came up with the name 'Jehovah'!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Followers of the religion Charles Taze Russell started were followers of and were witnesses of Jesus and were looking forward to the establishment of Christ Jesus 1000 year reign.

They had no thought of a Jehovah`s Kingdom.

• johnamos
    johnamos
    They had no thought of a Jehovah`s Kingdom.

24 Next, the end, when he hands over the Kingdom to his God and Father, when he has brought to nothing all government and all authority and power.+ 25 For he must rule as king until God has put all enemies under his feet.+ 26 And the last enemy, death, is to be brought to nothing.+ 27 For God “subjected all things under his feet.”+ But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected,’+ it is evident that this does not include the One who subjected all things to him.+ 28 But when all things will have been subjected to him, then the Son himself will also subject himself to the One who subjected all things to him,+ that God may be all things to everyone.+

• johnamos
    johnamos
    He came up with the name 'Jehovah'!

So he is the reason that when writing out in English the Hebrew name of this book why it's spelled Yehoshua??

https://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/15785#lt=both

Likewise, he is the reason why this Hebrew name is spelled this way in English??

Tzefaniah - Zephaniah

https://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/16200

• Justaguynamedmorph
    Justaguynamedmorph

All fair points, but average witnesses will all have the same reaction

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Considering that they all end their prayers with something like : "We send this prayer through Jesus, Aman", I actually don't see anything wrong with their teaching.

The bible isn't a clear book. It contradicts itself and one of the versions that appears sound to me is the one JWs give about Jesus being only the Son and God deserving the glory and the worship.

What doesn't make sense to me though is the importance they attach to a name made up in the 12th century. The name Jehovah isn't God's name. It's a nick name. And they have the nerves to hold other religions in contempt for not using it.

• johnamos
    johnamos
    Considering that they all end their prayers with something like : "We send this prayer through Jesus, Aman", I actually don't see anything wrong with their teaching.

That is a fair and balance statement to make.

a name made up in the 12th century. The name Jehovah isn't God's name

This statement however is unfounded. The only argument I would make about that being God's name is that there is no V in it. It should be spelled Jehoah.

To believe that that name was made up in the 12th century would mean that every Hebrew name that contains the יהוה (YHVH) as either with the prefix יהו (YHV) or the suffix יה (YH) was also made up then too.

Yes it is true the over time Y's were changed to J's and I's but that doesn't change the basis for the the vowels used in these names and how they would be spoken in today's English.

These names were never stopped being pronounced and replaced with LORD (adon).

• johnamos
    johnamos

יהוה

Y י

H ה

V ו (Holding marker for O or U)

H ה

YeHOshua

יהושע

YeHO

יהו

YshaYaH (Isaiah)

ישעיה

YaH

יה

YeHOaH

יהוה

• Justaguynamedmorph
    Justaguynamedmorph

While its true the name of the desert god is made up its also true to say ALL of it is made up. Its like asking the ratio of leprechauns to unicorns.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit