Hines v. Watchtower

by DNCall 12 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• DNCall
    DNCall

This could be a big one. Sexual abuse case naming the GB as co-defendants. Watchtower's response is due on January 21, 2022. Here is the docket: https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=T1yAHX0AO9YZ84Iphf0YpA==&display=all

This link will enable you to read the complaint online.

Watchtower's counsel is a hired gun who has handled sex abuse cases on behalf of religious organizations.

• DNCall
    DNCall

More specifically, the counsel hired by Watchtower is listed as the attorney for the Governing Body in particular.

• Earnest
    Earnest

This case was previously discussed here two months ago.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Haven't followed all that is going on with the child abuse but has anyone given consideration to this:

Could there be people in the Organisation who are confident (rightly or wrongly) that at some point the age of consent will be lowered? Further, that the very concept of consent and the idea of a parent having care/rights over their children will be done away with?

If so whatever legal victories have been won by victims could be turned around to make out the victims were 'old fashioned'. Or not in harmony with natural law or some other.

(2 Timothy 3:1-5) . . .But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power;. . .

• Gorb
    Gorb

Scandal!

G.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Watchtower obviously don't trust their own useless lawyers for this one.

NB Jan...nothing to do with you I take it?☺️

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

This case seems as clear cut as it gets. The blame lays squarely at the top. These were GB members doing nothing, in fact covering up disgusting abuse they knew of first hand.

The only greater scandal would be if they had directly committed the offences.

There is nowhere to hide.

• DNCall
    DNCall

Anna Marina: I'm not sure I understand the point you are making but age of consent is a means to establish statutory rape in cases of consensual sex where one of the parties is below the age of consent. The Hines complaint alleges nonconsensual sex acts. Although her age at the time is significant, what is more significant is that her stepfather sexually abused her in violation of secular law and (since you quote Scripture) Bible law, especially as interpreted by Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@Anna Marina: here is legislation introduced by a molester: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200SB145

It would potentially lower the age of consent to 14 in some cases for molesters and even lower for molesters under the age of 21 (down to 11). This is being pushed as LGBT equality.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

All I can say is , Wow! ....If only part of this were true ( And I am in no position to decry it)

then it would be scandalous. I hope they don’t settle... this should go to a verdict.

[ Edit... It is well worth clicking the link in Earnest’s post for a background and apparently informed comments]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit