How confident are you about various so called facts?

by slimboyfat 175 Replies latest social entertainment

• cofty
    cofty

I said I was willing to discuss my responses later if you want.

My question is very simple.

How is it a "pitfall" to be 100% sure that the earth is not flat?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Because it implies there is nothing else in the world about which you can be more certain. Hence my other questions, they're related.

Is there nothing in existence you ascribe greater certainty to than the shape of the planet?

• cofty
    cofty
    it implies there is nothing else in the world about which you can be more certain

There isn't. The earth is not flat. I know this with 100% certainty.

How is this a "pitfall"?

There are many things that pass a threshold where we can - and should - declare it to be 100% certain.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    100% - I can see it myself from a plane (although it's not a perfect sphere)

I only came here to say "oblate spheroid".

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    So Cofty you assign the exact same certainty to your views on global warming, the Big Bang, homeopathy, evolution, smoking and cancer, moonwalking, consciousness after death and Moses writing the Pentateuch. All these issues are settled with precisely the same 100% degree of certainty according to your view?
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

Everyone could learn a lesson about humanity by listening to this song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marten_Hartwell

• cofty
    cofty
    So Cofty you assign the exact same certainty to your views on global warming, the Big Bang, homeopathy, evolution, smoking and cancer, moonwalking, consciousness after death and Moses writing the Pentateuch. All these issues are settled with precisely the same 100% degree of certainty according to your view?

Yes.

As I said previously my views on climate change need some qualification but as for the rest, yes 100%

And you still won't say with 100% certainty that the earth is not flat?

• runForever
    runForever
    How certain are you that some or all posters here are not computers running comment algorithms?
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Run forever : I here!! was the earliest words out of me according to my mother!!
  • runForever
    runForever
    truthseeker: LOL I believe you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit