My letter of disassociation, what do you think?

by James Jack 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• James Jack
    James Jack

Dear Brothers, July 27, 2020

In 1919, The President of the Watchtower Society made a bold prediction, “Millions Now Living Will Never Die”. That quotation was constantly repeated by the Organization till the year 2000 when they realized that everyone in attendance at that Assembly, who listened to J.R. Rutherford repeat those words, are dead.

That teaching has guided my life. Statements were repeatedly made at Assemblies, Conventions and in Print that there was no career in “This System of Things” so you don’t need a job with benefits or retirement, your fulltime job is to “Preach the Good News”! Although many of the Friends ignored or brushed aside such statements, my wife and I believed it, having a combined 38 years of Regular Pioneering.

Our Organization is against Higher Education, but many of the Teachers in our public schools, with this higher education are teaching our children. These educators have Bachelors, Masters and even Doctorate Degrees and we have no problem with that. And yet, from time to time, announcements are made that Bethel needs Doctors, Nurses, Lawyers and such, those with Higher Education. To me, this sends mix signals to the friends. I have come to the realization that our organization is run mostly by high school graduates, Needing assistance from experts(highly educated) in various fields, dealing with complex issues, continually changing doctrine, when the current doctrine becomes outdated and other problems.

I have no ax to grind. You Men, for the most part, have been kind, caring and loving to me. I am at a point in my life, tired and broke, that what little time I have left living, I need to explore other options to survive, that go contrary to current Watchtower teaching. After much prayer, I have decided, that I no longer view myself as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. I realize that there are consequences with disassociating oneself from the Organization, but I believe that this is the best path for me to explore now.

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

A thoughtful and kind but to the point letter , why not include article 9 of your basic human rights.

Right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion, the right to change his religion or belief and freedom.

As the org would like to be applied to the JWs in Russia so they can practice their beliefs in freedom .

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Perfect! You have come a long way! Live your life to the fullest! Just curious, has your spouse woken up too?

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

There is nothing wrong with writing a letter, in fact, it is quite therapeutic, but I wouldn't recommend sending it. They will not read it past the point they realize what you are saying. By sending in a letter of disassociation you are allowing them to have power over your life. My husband and I both disassociated ourselves back in 2001. After we left we were treated just like a person who was disfellowshiped, including having our names slandered. If I could do it all over again, I would have just walked away, never to return. If any did attempt to "encourage" me to return, I would politely say I'm not interested anymore. Never put anything down on paper that can be used against you. During this time of the "pandemic", it is very easy to just slip away.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

@James Jack ...

As many here have suggested over the years, if you want out, maybe it would it be better to just walk away?

If you go the DA route, as suggested, you are playing by their rules. If you walk away, you are the one in charge. It's of course, entirely up to you.

You will annoy them far more by walking away. When they make periodic calls or attempt to visit and ask you the question or two about do you still believe in the Organization or whatever, just say yes. When they ask how they can help you, just say you will give it some thought and come back next year and thank them for their time.

That will be more of an annoyance to them than sending any kind of letter where they can "write you off."

If when they ever chose to return, if you have a friend or neighbor, have them at your home when they come to visit. The whole tone will change. They will have wasted their time since they will not talk to you directly with someone else in the room. When they leave, thank them for visiting.

• James Jack
    James Jack
    ToesUp

My wife supports me. She has nothing to do with the religion. We both stop going to the meetings a year ago.

Tameria2001 - RubaDub

I'm running for public office next month. Our local newspaper printed my name as a candidate. I got multiple phone calls from other JW's wanting know what is going on in my life. Yesterday, The Elders called me to a committee meeting. I just don't want them to get one over me anymore. I'm leaving on my terms.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Hey James, you gotta do what's best for YOU! Everyone has a story and different circumstances. I'm with what works best for YOU! Rock on!!! This takes more guts than anyone can imagine!

Glad your spouse left with you. My spouse and I did the same thing. BEST DECISION EVER!!! LIFE HAS BEEN GOOD FOR OVER 7 YEARS!!!

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

High five James Jack. We've all got to do things our own way and this gives you a clear straight break with them.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    James Jack: "I'm running for public office next month. Our local newspaper printed my name as a candidate. I got multiple phone calls from other JW's wanting know what is going on in my life. Yesterday, The Elders called me to a committee meeting."

Yep...sounds like a letter of DA would be in order. Good luck to you mate. In this instance, me thinks your DA will leave a black-eyed imprint in your local JW community...nothing wrong with that...in fact a bonus!

BTW...your letter is indeed in good taste...I can see the elders reading it as well...a good witness to them.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

It just makes you wonder if some of these Elders go home and think about what you wrote in your DA letter. You never know how you letter will impact someone. It may not be today but tomorrow may be another story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit