New Convention Song “ It Will Not Be Late”

by BluesBrother 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This made me chuckle. A new song that they are encouraged to practice for the convention.

“ We know your day will come, sure as the rising sun

No matter how long it takes , it will not be late” …………..

It is based on Habakkuk 2 , we discussed this in depth around 1973/1974. At that time it was exciting, and relevant,as we expected the end in a year or two . Today though, how can they keep faith in failed predictions that are pushing 50 years overdue? I don’t know. I realised as we approached the turn of the century that something was seriously wrong with the timeframe.

The chorus goes :

”Father we long to see, paradise come to be

Give us the patience to wait “

Isn't that a pathetic prayer for the ability to suppress one’s natural unease and just keep plodding on holding a faith in something that is way way overdue?

I was reminded of the silly sheep in Orwell’s “Animal Farm” . No matter bad conditions got they just bleated repeatedly and unthinkingly “ 4 legs good 2 legs bad” over and over again.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

One of the themes that they weave into the teaching is that of patience. When your recruiting and retaining efforts are based on the idea that time is short and the end is near, the one thing that works against you is time. This is also the problem with making date-specific claims. The farther you get from those dates, the harder it gets to exercise patience.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

""Time"" is in fact the Borg's worst enemy.

Other than itself.

• blondie
    blondie

BluesBrother, I just saw that direction from the WTS. Many jws don't know the words or tune, and never practice. In today's world, most people have little exposure to music, singing especially. I suspect that the WTS and its representatives have heard how badly songs are sung at the meetings and conventions. I know I did. I remember the WTS some time ago, commended African jws who practiced the songs after the meetings before they went home and how they could sing without musical accompaniment. I remember telling jws to sing out loudly, like this picture in the current jw songbook.Jehovah's Witnesses' Songbook—The Music of Many Languages

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

These songs are just another form of indoctrination ,, Covering Body "praise"

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

"50 years overdue"? That reminds me of a JW who mentioned the last days and said "they've been saying that for over 20 years" just because she was baptized in the 90s. Yeah it's more like 1 & 1/2 centuries by now.

• Bribie
    Bribie

50 years overdue you say! Well from a human stand point that is true, but Gods workings and purpose is way above our reasoning and understanding. God cannot lie, hence the day will come when the Great Tribulation will begin. You can ridicule and question this topic all you like. However dramatic events must take place in the not too distant future for wickedness to end and a righteous new start to get underway.

Not point in being dead forever! Instead living forever in paradise is far far better.

Jesus promise to the robber executed alongside him will be fulfilled, it’s totally guaranteed.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Hi Bribie , thank you for your comment and I note what you say.

I agree that 50 years is like nothing to God, but we are humans and it is a hell of a long time to us. For example, to an old person 4or 5 years goes by and seems very little time at all. However,If you were speaking to a young child about something 5 years ahead you would not say it will be soon because to him it would be a lifetime away

Is it reasonable for God to use words like soon or shortly for things that are our lifetime ahead? I don’t think so. When speaking to humans he would use human terms .

Unlike many on here I still believe that God does not lie and that the Kingdom he spoke of will one day come. However, do not forget that the timescale predictions have come from the human reasoning of the Watchtower Society and not from God himself…

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Blues Brother

"do not forget that the timescale predictions have come from the human reasoning of the Watchtower Society and not from God himself"…

And yet God himself / herself has kept silent all these years and continues to do so , more than 2,000 years and counting.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Bribie: Well from a human stand point that is true, but Gods workings and purpose is way above our reasoning and understanding.

If this is the case, then we cannot trust anything we read or hear from God. Even if something appears to be clear and to the point, how can we be sure it doesn't have a different meaning that we cannot grasp, because God's ways are beyond our reasoning and understanding? How do we tell what is being told to us plainly and what is shrouded in mystery?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit