A sucker is born every minute

by Sour Grapes 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• Giordano
    Giordano

My wife and I quit the JW'S in the mid 1960's...... we stopped pioneering 'where the need was great' moved and faded away. We each had a couple of family members still in so we were aware that 1975 was to be an important year for all JW's.

We simply ignored it and went on with our lives. 1975 came and went....... it was actually in 1976 that I remembered that the end was to have arrived.

I had probably spent a total of 5 seconds thinking about the importance of 1975.

With our still in relatives ............... not a word was ever mentioned.

The foolishness of being a JW was once again on display.

• Stealth
    Stealth

apocalypse You have a PM

• sparky1
    sparky1

"WingCommander and Toesup, I am not a loon! I have no interest in what you speak about. After all, I am a grown, adult male and it is my conviction that I will be wed to another grown, adult male as part of 'the Bride of Christ'" - F. W. Franz

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i quit the cult in 1971.

in 75 my wife--and i--deliberately made a baby--born april 76. my committment to the future.

that baby--a boy--is now 40--happily married again with a lovely son --a great job--property--friends--and a life free of that crazy religion.

• tor1500
    tor1500

@Sour Grapes or anyone else,

I've heard so many conflicting stories...did or didn't the org. promote 1975, was it written, was it a rumor. If many believe 1975 was the year, who told them...did they pull out of the sky? Was it the org. that told the brothers and sisters & because they believe it...the org. has egg on their face so, they blame the bros. & sis ?

I know someone who was around & they were an elder...& he says, yes, the Society said it...he even sent me the articles that stated it. Has anyone ever sent an old copy of their lit. where they stated the end in 1975...

I heard the society squash some rumors that weren't true....so if this was a rumor at the time...why didn't they squash it then....they had plenty of opportunities. They could have had an assembly to put the rumor to rest. Some of us on here remember when they had that special program, where we told...NO TIGHT PANTS...They let the friends just soak it up because it boosted the #'s...They are doing it today...using the events of the day...

The world believes what it sees....remember Exorcist, folks lined up to go to church, remember Jaws, folks scared to go in the water....Psycho, folks scared to take a shower....folks believe what they see...

Does anyone have copies of 1975 Stay Alive to return to the society to see what THEY SAID...I don't know how this could be done, but if someone could download some of the literature & place it on Google...so when someone Googles JW's 1975...folks would see that it wasn't a lie.....They would have a hard time they didn't.

Tor

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Sparky1

Thats great! Needed a good laugh today!

• Spiral
    Spiral

@tor1500

Back in the day (I was in my teens in the 70s) ALOT was said by brothers from the stage and at assemblies because talks weren't scripted. The circuit assemblies especially had a lot of variance in what the brothers were saying. So, in our congregation we had a couple of die hards who took everything seriously, gave up jobs, and from the stage rambled on about how Jehovah's day was near. At the circuit assemblies, there were some that said very specific things that you would not have seen in the literature. The org tolerated it so I feel they are responsible. Ultimately, things got out of hand and nothing happened in 1975 or 76 so the scripting of all talks started.

BUT - what these brothers were saying was what they really thought "mother" thought they should teach. And it was. Only "mother" was caught out as being totally wrong and clueless.

This is why the literature is so dull and lifeless today, all prophecy interpretation from previous decades is discredited, and many things are just swept under the rug.

The mantra used to be study, learn, discourse, and believe, just like the Boreans. Now, it's listen, obey, [shut up] and be blessed. This is necessary because so much of what was said and taught turned out to be pure fantasy.

In short, it's a cult. Now more than ever!

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I too was ONE of them there suckers and I was an especially BIG one. I was the PO during the 1975 service year so I felt a bit of pressure to really spout the company 'troof'.

Below is a little letter I put together (with a little help from all my friends here) that I sent to my jw family members.

Yep, I got a cold response! lol

Do we deserve an Apology for what DID NOT happen in 1975 ?

There is a certain “truth” about what did not happened in 1975, however, and there was an embarrassing silence following the historic failure of 1975 ‘prophecy’ to produce anything even close to Armageddon!

There is also an almost unanimous unwillingness to TALK ABOUT the NON-happening among jw’s that lived through 1975. Is it because of the inculcated fear of the consequences for not agreeing 100% with the gb or the unbearable pain and utter disappointment of that non-event?

WT 76 7/15 p. 441 par. 15

15 “But it is not advisable for us to set our sights on a certain date, neglecting everyday things we would ordinarily care for as Christians, such as things that we and our families really need. We may be forgetting that, when the “day” comes, it will not change the principle that Christians must at all times take care of all their responsibilities. If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting HIS viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that HIS own understanding was based on wrong premises.

WT 7/1/79 p. 29 par.17-18

17 However, during these “last days,” have erroneous views about this system’s end or telos (Greek) been held in advance by some of Jehovah’s servants? Yes, they have. Some of these views involve the length of time it would take for the end to come. Out of zeal and enthusiasm for the vindication of Jehovah’s name, Word and purposes, and the desire for the new system, some of his servants have at times been premature in their expectations. This is similar to the view that the disciples had as to the imminence of God’s kingdom in their day. (Acts 1:6) But because expectations have at times been premature and so have not been fulfilled, does this mean that God has somehow changed his purpose? Not at all. “My own counsel will stand, and everything that is my delight I shall do,” says Jehovah. (Isa. 46:10) Hence, Jehovah’s purposes, and time, for establishing a righteous new order are firmly fixed.

18 This certainly impresses on us our need to weigh carefully all Scriptural factors, not emphasizing some to the point of overshadowing others. As Jesus himself stated so plainly: “Concerning that day and hour nobody knows.” (Matt. 24:36) Always there is the need to pay strict attention to the apostle Paul’s counsel: “Do not go beyond the things that are written.”—1 Cor. 4:6.

These seems to be the only acknowledgement of the 1975 debacle. A few paragraphs in the watchtower that essentially threw all of us rank and file jw’s under the bus for truly believing what we were told by the organization from the platform and in publications (as good jw’s we are not allowed to dispute what we are told from the platform and in publications). ‘Failed prophecies’ have not even been acknowledged as errors. They have instead been re-framed as, “adjustments”, “new understanding”, “current truths”, or “new light.”

In other words, if you truly believed all the information and hype coming from the organization about what would happen in 1975, too bad, that’s your problem, not theirs.

Often we jw’s experience discomfort because the things that we have been taught for years, even decades just don't add up and cannot be verified, so we try to get rid of that uncomfortable feeling by preaching more or doing more within the organization. This is often a futile attempt to eliminate that discomfort.

For ALL religions, including jw’s, FACTS are very inconvenient problems that ‘believers ’are taught to ignore if the FACTS do not support their religious teachings.

So basically; if we never doubt or question the organization then we will NOT investigate it, BUT------------- If we ever do doubt or question the organization, it WILL investigate us!

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize!”--Voltaire

just saying!

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

It never ceases to amaze me and your thread title is a perfect fit for the majority of Witnesses.

There's this one idiot who maintains a blog specifically to defend the Witnesses.

His reasoning for the false 1975 prediction.

"No definite statement made".

I had to laugh at him.

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

I have added a link that lurkers ans doubters need to listen to. If you ever had any doubts that the Watchtower leadership was responsible for the 1975 debacle, don't be afraid to listen to District Overseer Brother Charles Sinuko's talk he gave in 1967 in Sheboygan, Wisconsin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhn6ZF1Hl2A

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit