Why "fancy dress" and "theme weddings" were BANNED by our Congregation!

by Witness 007 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

Why were the sisters not wearing head covering like the brothers. That's just plain wrong.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

If we watched a whole drama with Hezekiah and soldiers wearing armor and swords, why would it be unacceptable when dressing up? What about Peter cutting off that soldiers ear? What did he use? A fishing rod?

• Cimarrona
    Cimarrona

In our city, we had themed parties fairly often. Some older sisters would even host formal "balls" every year or two. It was never a big deal. Some even had open bars. It's interesting to hear the differences. I assume they're primarily cultural and geographical.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I remember back in the early 1990s that country music became faddish as did country line dancing. Some brothers started wearing western cut suits, western hats, and western boots. They looked well dressed. However, we were soon counselled from the platform that western wear was inappropriate on the stage and were told to cut it out.

...and then we have this.

As far as I am concerned, the religion I left over 10 years ago no longer exists.

• The_Seeker
    The_Seeker

The issue here is when you have to earn your salvation, not a free gift from God, you have to be always vigilant that you do nothing that would displease God. Understand that these people are living by the social norms of a religion that was established in the 1870's. They are taught to fear for their eternal lives everyday because if they make a misstep and Armageddon comes then all their faithfulness from before will not save them, they have to be on point everyday to insure they survive. It is a sad way to live and one that causes mental problems and health issues, because no one can live under that much stress everyday and it not affect them detrimentally. When I left the Witnesses it was like a giant burden had been lifted from my shoulders, I could breath and live without the constant threat of screwing up and losing my eternal life. These people are desperate now, none of their prophecies have come true, people are leaving by the droves and they are closing down facilities left and right. The end is near. Its not the end of the world but the end of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract society and the Witnesses as an organized religion. I truly look for them to announce to the congregations that the " Work " is complete and to go home and wait for Armageddon then simply shut down the Kingdom Halls and the headquarters and quietly slip into oblivion.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Many are starting to realize that the said Armageddon is fictional mythology originally expressed by ancients for their own expressive need to create power and relevance to their select god.

They are also starting to realize that the WTS Corporation use and exploited the fear of this superposed event to attract attention to the literature the WTS published and to enhance the continuing proliferation and circulation of that literature by the psychologically entrapped and devoted members (JWS)..

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

I once crashed a Witness fancy dress party when I became inactive back in '09. Nobody there seemed to mind at the time...

• lancegalahadx
    lancegalahadx

Dear Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

If that's really you in the picture, DAMN! Would have loved to been at that party!

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    and a Pioneer bro dressed up as a ballarena with full female make up!

There was a guy in a neighboring hall who almost had a judicial committee formed because he dressed in drag and went out in public, supposedly because he'd lost a bet. He was able to convince the elders that it was all in jest and that he really didn't hold any "perverse sexual desires." Rumor was that it wasn't the first time he'd dressed up as a woman and seemingly found any excuse to do so.

I'm not passing judgment. It's sad that otherwise normal folks have to suppress that side of them in order to avoid being kicked out of the tribe.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@lancegalahadx Lmfao. I was a loose cannon just getting primed to launch back then. These days, I'm a brunette who keeps her Playboys in the hard-to-reach cabinets from her toddler. #girlgonemild

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit