Why facts fail to reach the faithful, (even the intelligent ones)

by done4good 51 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty
    Faith is logic based on solid fact like taking medicine that works. The effact should realize after the length of treatment is completed. Those that have faith take the medicine and wait for it to work. Those that do not, don't buy it. - Fish

Word salad.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Not according to Merriam-Webster.

MW describes faith, it does not challenge the basis, you do.. Your post assumes that all faiths are based on snake oil. But faith simply means (logic) the belief and trust and hope in medicine that does work. And the reason you have faith in it is because you know for a fact that it does work.

Fisherman - Facts do not trump other facts and that is the sophistry of your argument assuming that faith is based on belief (not a talking horse) and if the basis for faith can be invalidate with any new facts whatsoever. ???

There is enough context in my statement above for you to figure out what I mean. I made some changes to the structure of my sentences before I posted but they did not post through, so let me rephrase what is posted above:

Facts do not trump other facts. The sophistry of your argument assumes that all faith is based on false belief or premise (not on a talking horse.) And that being the case, you also conclude that the basis for all faiths can be invalidated with evidence. My post intends to illustrate that faith must be based on fact in order for it for it to be defined as faith. Faith in a jackass or in snake oil is not faith because faith must only be based upon proof.

Every example of persons having faith in the Bible shows the person basing their faith -not on wishful thinking- but on a talking horse. Conclusion: No talking horse, no faith is possible. When faith based on evidence is the case (as it always must be), even new facts that come up, that contradict or seem to contradict exiting facts, do not invalidate the basis for faith, hence, if faith is based on evidence faith is not a fallacy and neither is it subject to new scientific facts or knowing any other facts .

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Word salad.

So is Shakespeare to simpletons such as you. And so is the syntax of a programming language to those that do not understand it -but they are not word salad and neither is the language in my illustration that you refer to.

• cofty
    cofty
    faith can only be based upon proof - Fish

I wonder if it would be possible to write something more erroneous with such brevity.

I doubt it.

• done4good
    done4good

Fisherman - MW describes faith, it does not challenge the basis, you do.. Your post assumes that all faiths are based on snake oil. But faith simply means the belief and trust and hope in medicine that does work. And the eason you have faith in it is because you know for a fact that it does.

Bullshit. MW is quite clear what faith is. Did you actually read it? Faith in no way is based on fact. This is self-evident from the definition. Faith is a choice to accept something without evidence. Period. Stop your double-talk.

Fisherman - ...because faith can only be based upon proof.

See my point above about the definition of the word.

Don't troll my thread with this crap. I am not debating dictionary word definitions here. Are you the WTS? Words have accepted definitions, and your choosing to invent your own definition, because the actual definition is inconvenient for you, in no way validates your point. In fact, it is intellectually dishonest. If you have something constructive to offer, (even a valid counter point), please do so, but debating accepted definitions is not such.

d4g

• sir82
    sir82

It's rare that posters responding to a thread so perfectly vindicate exactly the point that the OP is making.

Well done!

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Faith in no way is based on fact.

Sure it is. The faith that ALL Bible characters had was based on fact, for example, the faith that Abraham had was based upon the fact that he knew for a fact that God existed for a fact . That is a lot of fact. But he had more facts: He communicated with God, he saw angels, and God made his barren wife fertile. But even with all those facts, he was not 100 percent sure and that is what faith is all about.

Anyway, I showed one way. And that debunks what you stated above.

• done4good
    done4good

He communicated with God, he saw angels...

No, those were just some damn good 'shrooms...

d4g

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The faith that ALL Bible characters had was based on fact

wrong.... when huamn faith is complied only from human imagination expression alone, that faith can not be factual based or accepted within intellectual honesty.

something that originates in imagination can never be accepted as factual, it remains imaginative

The many stories in the bible such as Noah's Flood, Jonah and the fish that swallowed him, are held in fictional hearsay until proven otherwise.

• cofty
    cofty
    Fisherman by your standards it is a fact that Harry Potter played quidditch at Hogwarts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit