Me and my schools band

by Akid48 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• Akid48
    Akid48

So i made this to take off some of the anxiety of what i have to tell all my friends when i have to go to my band camp i HAVE to go to.

So i play tuba in my school i love it i had made friends that are now close friends.So i am number 1 or 2 when it comes to how good we play so when placements for what band your in for next year i was put in to honors band my aunt said good job but when we went to the meeting for it she got mad saying she thinks it to much for me going into school early than i do staying at school later and some things she said was right but the thing that got her mad is that i might not be able to go to the meetings after home work etc and she went more into the jw things on school.

The thing that gets me mad is that know i have to think of a way to tell my friends that i im out of honors band because of jw reasons.

one more thing is i cant do many things i suck at sports and many more butt playing the tuba was the ONE thing i could say IM GOOD at than video games but it seems like at high school i might have to drop it :(

• Akid48
    Akid48

sorry for how long it is.

• exjwlemming
    exjwlemming

You sound like such an awesome "kid." My heart goes out to you in this difficult situation. I read all your posts. Many have given you great advice. Keep your head up and never surrender. You will get through this and move on to a better life on your own, one day.

• Akid48
    Akid48

@exjwlemming

thank you not a lot of people call me awesome :)

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

Akid48=> I'm sorry regarding what you have to endure as a young person with parents in the BORG. (And you don't have to apologize for the length of your posting--If you look at many/various postings--including mine--they are very lengthy, and with/for good reasons.)

When it came to learning to play a musical instrument in middle school and high school, my sister, one of my closest cousins and myself had to sneak and take after-school classes because our programs/schedules did not originally accommodate this provision for us. Thank goodness the music teacher we had was very generous, in addition to the fact he said he had a distant cousin who was a JDub. He spoke as if he understood about the issue that the BORG had concerning extracurricular activities.

Now, I'm not trying to encourage you to become rebellious regarding your participation in the school band, but if it gets to the extent whereby you are not able to do so, I would encourage you to see if you can privately make an arrangement with your music teacher (or the band's faculty advisor) to allow you to continue practicing the tuba for a couple days after school. This is so that you will not lose your footing skill-wise with the instrument. Hopefully your instructor is an agreeable person, like mine back in the day was.

Furthermore, have you ever thought about learning an instrument of a small caliber, such as the guitar, violin, recorder (small flute), etc.? The reason why I'm asking is because I find, from my personal experience*, that these can be easily transported when you want to obtain lessons and still be able to enjoy playing music with these at your personal leisure. [*I was able to learn to play the piccolo and recorder, when I saw that it was difficult to play both the drums and flute during my senior year in high school. Now, that I am an older adult, working a lucrative full-time job, I was able to purchase these instruments and play them for my own personal enjoyment--and with no one from the BORG to tell we what to do!]

So, Akid48, give the above some thought. I would hate to see and hear that you have given up your dreams and desires because your parents are in actuality listening to a group of men who don't want anyone to enjoy LIFE!

• Chook
    Chook

Send an audio kiddo , we will give it a listen.

• Akid48
    Akid48

@Hiddleswife

lucky i cant try to sneak out your right wtih my tuba for my next year is 2x tall than my other one sneaking is hard.We had to try out for the we wanted to play and i said tuba in my list and i was put in tuba.

@Chook

i would love to but i dont have a mic for more reasons my aunt lets me do things with out her knowing but i see in her face she knows im on sites like this.On that note to the house i live in is packed right now the aunt i talk about is the head of the house but i have 3 other ones there 6 of us so it would be hard.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

If the rehearsals for band only occasionally conflict with meetings, I would encourage you to speak with the band director and explain your problem.

In my experience, allowances can be made if the director is aware of the dilemma, especially if you are an asset to the ensemble.

The only problem would be to miss a meeting due to a performance, but surely you could go to another hall for that particular meeting, on the rare occasion that a conflict arises.

After all, where did the musicians on the JW recordings come from? I suspect a great number were involved in music during their high school years.

All the best to you!

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Buy a guitar kiddo.

Good luck.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Maybe persisting on worldly pursuits will serve good purposes: 1) do what you like and 2) lower the expectations of your aunt regarding your spirituality. Remember that one day she will insist to get baptized. Start disappointing her, so she gets used to low expectations. Just remain a good kid in every other way. In fact, be better than the "spiritual" kids.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit