God said be fruitful and multiply,fill the earth and govern it.

by atomant 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Listener
    Listener
    The reason I ask is because I was wondering what you see occuring today as being evidence of God's Ho!y Spirit, how do you see it as operating?
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

The reason I ask is because I was wondering what you see occuring today as being evidence of God's Ho!y Spirit, how do you see it as operating?

I have answered your question the best I could. The above question is another question.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    Cofty » The questions you have proposed about evolution are the sort of thing people say who have not read a single book about science in their entire life. Evolution is a fact. It is as certain as the fact that the earth is not flat. Humans evolved from non-human ancestors over millions of years. There was no Adam and Eve. The only people who doubt that are a minority of Christians, cults and most Muslims. The thing they all have in common is wilful ignorance.

About science? You mean all books on science revolve around evolution? Even books on astrophysics?

Christianity, as you said, is incompatible with evolution, so Christians would have to sacrifice the key element of their religion, which is Christ, and all the prophecies and prophets pointing to him and that's just not going to happen. The prophecies are too persistent and consistent; too accurate to write off.

• prologos
    prologos

Cold Steel: "-- sacrifice the key element of their religion, which is Christ,--" That key element is just a consequence of the talking snake story, the fall. Without that bit of detail, that real key element, there would be no need for a "Christ", a ransom. All creation is really as good as it is. deal with it.

• cofty
    cofty
    Christianity, as you said, is incompatible with evolution - Coldsteel

I never said that.

I said that the majority of christians accept the fact of evolution.

Only fundies, cults and muslims reject it.

You have never read a single book that presents the scientific evidence for evolution have you?

The prophecies are too persistent and consistent; too accurate to write off.

What you are saying is that you have decided a priori that you will reject all the evidence for evolution without even considering it. That is called prejudice.

• sir82
    sir82

It seems that when one finds a skeleton of, say, Lucy, and says, "Hey, she looks kinda human...she must be one of our ancestors!"

That's what you think the scientific method is?

Well alrighty then.

Too bad the Awake magazine is well on the path to disappearing, you'd have made an excellent editor.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Religion and science will one day be reconciled, I think, because there's a great deal about both that hasn't been revealed yet. I watched one LDS professor try to reconcile the two, but at this stage it can't be done. As long as Christians buy into the talking snake thing and the making of man from mudpies and ribs, and as long as scientists are not able to see intelligent design in the universe, the two are like an old, bickering couple. In my own scriptures, we only have the unsatisfying promise: "Yea, verily I say unto you, in that day when the Lord shall come, he shall reveal all things—things which have passed, and hidden things which no man knew, things of the earth, by which it was made, and the purpose and the end thereof—things most precious, things that are above, and things that are beneath, things that are in the earth, and upon the earth, and in heaven."

The new testament scriptures state that the things of the spirit are discerned by the Spirit, and they are esteemed by men to be wisdom, but are to God foolishness. If there is a super intelligence we call God, we can't depend on the words of the ancients to understand Him. It requires numerous dispensations to a number of cultures and an open mind. Because of my own experiences, I don't have an open mind regarding the existence of God. Regarding evolution, yeah, if someone could reconcile it and religion, I'd be open to it. But as long as it's an either/or thing, I'm doing the leap of faith. Because as much as evolution seems to you a certainty, it doesn't necessarily rule out the existence of God. How Christians can reconcile it and still hold on to their core of faith is something I have to research, as well as evolution itself.

• cofty
    cofty
    Because as much as evolution seems to you a certainty, it doesn't necessarily rule out the existence of God

It is a certainty. Millions of christians accept that and still believe.

Any religion that asks you to commit intellectual suicide is a cult.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I started to comment on the OP, but it's like trying to discuss how Santa Claus can get down the chimney in homes without a fireplace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit