God said be fruitful and multiply,fill the earth and govern it.

by atomant 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Sometimes I wonder if god telling Adam and Eve to "go forth and multiply" was a generous translation. Maybe he was tired of dealing with them and what he really said was "fuck off."
  • AnneB
    AnneB

Atomant: Why do you even worry about it? Have they been there? Can they (the WT/JW's) show any evidence that it's true? Are there any "scriptures" that directly state these teachings?

Let it go. If it's false you'll find out when the time is right; if it's true there's nothing you can do about it.

Go out and garden or something.

AB

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

OneEyedJoean hour ago

Sometimes I wonder if god telling Adam and Eve to "go forth and multiply" was a generous translation. Maybe he was tired of dealing with them and what he really said was "fuck off."

Haha! Best comment it ever! If I could double like it, I would!
  • truth doubter
    truth doubter
    Latest "new guess" is that Jesus could have been referring to the anointed. In fact "they will be like the angels".
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    Cold Steel: Matter lasts forever, and though it can change, it can't be annihilated.
    I think you are thinking of energy, which again goes back to the whole circle of life thing.

From http://www.physicscentral.com/experiment/askaphysicist/physics-answer.cfm?uid=20120221015143
    "The first law of thermodynamics doesn't actually specify that matter can neither be created nor destroyed, but instead that the total amount of energy in a closed system cannot be created nor destroyed (though it can be changed from one form to another). It was after nuclear physics told us that mass and energy are essentially equivalent - this is what Einstein meant when he wrote E= mc^2 - that we realized the 1st law of thermodynamics also applied to mass. Mass became another form of energy that had to be included in a thorough thermodynamic treatment of a system."

Cold Steel: Well, the verdict isn't in regarding whether the WTS is the sole purveyor and arbiter of truth in the earth.
    Ummm ...yeah, actually the verdict IS in. I can unequivocally guarantee you that the WTS is NOT "the sole purveyor and arbiter of truth in the earth."
    Cold Steel: We only see through a dark, murky glass the things that will be, but they are said to be far beyond the understanding of man.

Not really. Science has come a long way. While there are still things yet to be discovered, I think things are pretty clear. It's the bible and religion that murk things up.

• atomant
    atomant
    Just to clear things up here lm not a dub and never have been and most likely never will be.lm not 100% sold on any idea or belief.l keep an open mind.ln starting this thread lm just trying to expose how ridiculous the jw way of thinking really is.
  • cofty
    cofty
    I think you are thinking of energy, which again goes back to the whole circle of life thing. - Wild Thing

Actually Coldsteel is an apologist for Mormon cult bullshit. They teach that matter always existed because the convicted fraudster Joseph Smith said so.

It's a bit like Russell used to teach that god lived in the Pleiades.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    cofty, thanks for that info. It makes perfect sense now! I could tell he was an apologist. I just assumed it was a JW apologist.
  • kepler
    kepler

Fundamental particles have a way of hanging around. Protons for example. Neutrinos cycle back and forth...

But the universe is by no means static. If we were to hang around in it eternally on a paradise Earth, we would sure have to watch a deterioration in the neighborhood. Plus commit ourselves to a lot of dull reading and meetings.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Well, we'll have to see whether people came from apes. Evolution is simply another religion. If one begins with the assumption of a divine creator, evolution becomes much more difficult to prove. It seems that when one finds a skeleton of, say, Lucy, and says, "Hey, she looks kinda human...she must be one of our ancestors!" that there's a good deal of assumption in that. I saw a pro-evolution documentary not long ago that showed an early human and a long line of his forebears going all the way to the horizon. The camera followed that line, person by person at super speed millions of years ago until it stopped on a bipedal apelike creature completely unlike the human male figure we'd just been looking at. Then we see someone in a small ape suit eating nuts or something in a tree.

Interesting theory...if there's no God, I thought. But if there is, the only thing it proves only that there's a common designer. I've also done some reading and cannot find the solid evidence I'm told is out there. Perhaps it's too complicated for the common man to understand; however, religion isn't based solely on ancient traditions, but also by witnesses. Numerous people have had near death experiences, and they're remarkably consistent regardless of cultural and religious backgrounds. Critics say they're simply delusions brought about by the body's being deprived of oxygen -- or the effects of medicine. But such spur-of-the-moment judgments don't take into account the transfer of actual information, which frequently happens. As someone who's had medical hallucinations, they're very fuzzy and indistinct. There's no 3D, and conversations in dream states are not extended or memorable. Yet there are many rational people who have such experiences and report them with the same detail one might recant a story about a trip to Paris in the Spring!

So far such people are dismissed without consideration, as are the prophets who gave their lives to seal their testimonies. Instead of God being portrayed in many different ways by many different prophets over centuries, God's word to them have been remarkably consistent. Since atheists and evolutionists react essentially like religionists when there are flaws in their beliefs (such as the classic "leap of faith"), I also don't feel the need to have to prove them completely. Christians wouldn't need Christ if there was no Adam or Eve, for if there wasn't a fall, there need not be an atonement.

In my view, it's no contest. There are holes in every belief system, even atheism. The way I see it, there's also a body of evidence that supports many belief systems. I'm willing to wait and see what happens. If you have a different view, fine. It's a free country.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit