Should a Christian celebrate Christmas?

by Samsie 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• carla
    carla

I have heard that some jw's when hearing popular Christian music that they say things on the order of; "it's like they (the Christian) is in love with Jesus!" they have other less kind things to say as well but I will not repeat them here.

They seem to confuse romantic love with love of what should be, even for them, love of the Savior.

I would agree with Vanderhoven that they don't seem to know Jesus nor do they want to. If you point this out to them they will claim that "Jesus is our King!" or "He is our savior". Yet they are not allowed to talk to their 'king' or 'savior'. They use 'in Jesus name' simply to end a prayer like a tailsman or something. Yes, I know a tailsman is usually a physical object, hope you get my gist.

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

You may not believe this. But this is what happened:

But there arose false prophets also among the people, as among you also there shall be false teachers, who shall privily bring in destructive heresies, denying even the Master that bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their lascivious doings; by reason of whom the way of the truth shall be evil spoken of. And in covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose sentence now from of old lingereth not, and their destruction slumbereth not.

2 Peter 2:1‭-‬3

It was not until 1954 when they started denying Jesus so the prophesy will be fulfilled.

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/worship-jesus.php

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

And also the GB have made a merchandise of their own people.

Therefore the LORD will cut off from Israel head and tail, branch and rush, in one day. The ancient and honourable, he is the head; and the prophet that teacheth lies, he is the tail. For the leaders of this people cause them to err; and they that are led of them are destroyed.

Isaiah 9:14‭-‬16 KJV

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

"For neither doth the Father judge any man, but he hath given all judgment unto the Son; that all may honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He that honoreth not the Son honoreth not the Father that sent him. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth him that sent me, hath eternal life, and cometh not into judgment, but hath passed out of death into life. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour cometh, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God; and they that hear shall live. For as the Father hath life in himself, even so gave he to the Son also to have life in himself: and he gave him authority to execute judgment, because he is a son of man.

John 5:22‭-‬27

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I suspect that everyone posting a reason NOT to celebrate Christmas celebrates wedding anniversaries. What is the difference? The Bible doesn't instruct us to celebrate anniversaries, exchange wedding rings or other "pagan" origin practices...but guess what, JW's are fine with that. The Bible doesn't tell us to not celebrate birthdays...WT instructs that because of two deaths occurring during a birthday celebration. The Bible makes no mention of Thanksgiving, nor Mother's or Father's Day (though it does tell us to honor our parents!). The hypocrisy of this is one of the things that got me started on the path to leaving the JW's. Use critical thinking and common sense...not leftover brainwashing from the very organization you are fleeing to make your decisions!

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

Tenyearsafter

I understand your point. I know what brainwashing is. I have a master's degree in marketing and advertising psychology. It is simple if you make it look simple but there are always constraints in which we have to make our decisions. Even free will it's not that free.

I do strongly believe that God exists and I want to keep a correct relationship with Him while trying to understand the Bible's truth under His guidance.

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p086tg3k/the-physics-that-suggests-we-have-no-free-will

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

GodBeliever...do you see Christmas differently than anniversaries, Thanksgiving, etc.? If so, why? Curious...

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

Tenyearsafter,

"And the things which thou hast heard from me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. Suffer hardship with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No soldier on service entangleth himself in the affairs of this life; that he may please him who enrolled him as a soldier."

2 Timothy 2:2‭-‬4

There is a difference between secular life and life of a Christian.

As regards with celebrations, some are secular so they don't have any religious motives while others are religious celebrations which need to be carefully considered as it has to do with your worship to God. It also depends on the motivation and the history behind everything you celebrate. Paul also said that if someone wanted to hold a day for God to do it, if don't, it's his/hers choice. I find that Christmas is too commercially driven. Too many things mixed up. I don't see it as celebration dedicated to Christ. Christianity is not formalism as Vanderhoven always points out, so I took the freedom in not doing anything I don't find constructive in my relationship with God and his Son.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@Tenyearsafter

"I suspect that everyone posting a reason NOT to celebrate Christmas celebrates wedding anniversaries. What is the difference? The Bible doesn't instruct us to celebrate anniversaries, exchange wedding rings or other "pagan" origin practices...but guess what, JW's are fine with that. The Bible doesn't tell us to not celebrate birthdays...WT instructs that because of two deaths occurring during a birthday celebration. The Bible makes no mention of Thanksgiving, nor Mother's or Father's Day (though it does tell us to honor our parents!). The hypocrisy of this is one of the things that got me started on the path to leaving the JW's. Use critical thinking and common sense...not leftover brainwashing from the very organization you are fleeing to make your decisions!"

Well said and worth repeating!

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Birthdays - Jehovah made a massive thing of Noah's birthday. I mean MASSIVE. The exact day isn't mentioned but the turn point of Noah's age is important.

(Genesis 7:6) . . .And Noah was six hundred years old when the deluge of waters occurred on the earth. . .

(Genesis 7:11) . . .In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on this day all the springs of the vast watery deep were broken open and the floodgates of the heavens were opened.

(Genesis 8:13) . . .Now in the six hundred and first year, in the first month, on the first day of the month, it came about that the waters had drained from off the earth; . . .

If to Our Father, even the very hairs of our head are all numbered, surely all the days of our life are carefully counted too. (Matthew 10:29-30)

On the matter of Christmas being different to birthdays, Christmas counts nothing. No one says 'oh on this day Jesus turned 2022'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit