Oooh, caught a JW colleague telling porkies at work this week.

by nicolaou 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Actually scratch that, thinking about it again (and it was a long while ago) it was the automatic part of the fee that went to the Labour party that I opted out of not the CWU membership itself, so chances are you are absolutely correct in your assumption.

(Backs away slowly from the thread and hopes no one notices....)

• tiki
    tiki

I remember being in a union was a no no....it was considered too political. That was in the 60's, 70's....my husband was dunked in 1980 And was a union guy...but by then it was a non issue...

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I remember being in a union was a no no....it was considered too political. That was in the 60's, 70's

probably why they had that QfR in 1961 saying that it was ok to be a member of a union.

• under the radar
    under the radar

As far as I know, the Society has never said JWs can't be in a labor union. Participating in a strike, however, would depend on the circumstances, even if the JW planned only to honor the strike but not picket or do anything else controversial.

Some strikes are illegal, and a "True Christian™" would not honor those because it would be against the law. I personally know of one JW who was an air traffic controller when their union (PATCO) went on strike in 1981. He did not honor the strike and continued to report to work as usual. The union did not give him any trouble, though, because he had told them well in advance that he wouldn't go with them and why. It was not because it was "against his religion." It was because (1) the strike was illegal and (2) he had signed a sworn oath (like all government employees) when he was first hired that he would not participate in any strike against the government. The union essentially gave him a pass on it because he was straight with them from the beginning and he didn't work against them by discouraging others either.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I just love the expression telling porkies! That's a new one on me.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I just love the expression telling porkies! That's a new one on me.

Rhyming slang: Pork Pies > Lies > Porkies

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

As a non-JW, but having been influenced by my Dad who was a non-baptized publisher for years, I refused to sign to join our teacher's union although it was considered mandatory. The union seemed unaware of this omission and took my dues monthly, issued me a union card anyway and allowed me to benefit from the lower group insurances.

When the call came to strike I stayed home but did not join the picket line. When the government ordered the union back to work they defied the order. I went in to work. I had placed a note in each teacher's box informing them that as a Christian I am a man under authority and the authority of the government is greater than that of the union. I promised to donate any salary I received while the strike continued.

When it was over, I had a few haters, but most understood. The union rep wanted me to donate my salary to the union; I had already donated it to organizations such as World Vision. They actually demanded to see the receipts which I gladly showed them.

I have found that both unions and management/government can be unreasonable

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit