So, any comments from the Memorial?

by NewYork44M 23 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Perhaps I missed the comments, but I did not see a lot of comments from, or about, the memorial. It happened last night, right?

In years past the JWN board was hot with comments. This time, not a lot. Does this mean that the event is no longer significant?

• steve2
    steve2

I haven't been for decades - but I also wondered how quiet this forum's been about this years memorial attendances.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    I guess the silence suggests that most have moved on and the "memorial" is no longer holds any significance. That is a good thing.
  • scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

So, any comments from the Memorial?

No.

• Perry
    Perry

The Lord's Supper as played out according to the Watchtower is a great act of rebellion against God, in at least 2 ways:

And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you; for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins. Mt. 26: 27, 28

1. All are commanded to drink of the symbolic blood because it represents an irrevocable contract between the participant and God. Why "all" and not just 144K ?

2. Because the purpose of the contract is NOT for government positions in the kingdom per se, as the WT teaches, rather the purpose is clearly defined as "for forgiveness of sins". Since all have sinned, all must participate in the contract so that a death has occurred on their behalf for their personal sin debt.

When I was a regular pioneer, I used to mock Christians for their seemingly constant harping on the need for a "personal savior".

It finally made sense years later when I read a scripture that I NEVER heard quoted even one time at a Kingdom Hall.

Hebrews 9: 27 It is appointed unto man once to die, and then to face judgment.

The WT teaches a sort of collective judgment based on who is in the Organization and who isn't. The bible teaches that there will be a personal judgment, hence the need for a personal savior.

John 5: 28, 29 - Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

• waton
    waton

This years talk, if adhering to the outline, did not stress the New Covenant at all, or the unrelated Kingdom Covenant that was affirmed by Jesus after the party had left the venue.

It felt like a new celebration, linking it as little as possible to what actually happened at the last supper.

Jesus being the Key man, not the Catholic Peter with the keys to paradise.

Work hard for wt to get into paradise.

• UBM101
    UBM101

In Biblical context, it is an event to mock God and to abuse those poor souls in the hall

• waton
    waton

great comment Perry. Jeremiah 31: 31-34. alluded to be Jesus: : New Covenant, no more teaching "know Jehovah, each one will know. "their sins I will remember no more," not at all what the memorial talk had: I will remember them (sins and resulting imperfection) for a thousand years, and you work off that debt.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

err - I went....

...and had a nice 45 minute snooze which some plonker spoiled by thrusting a plate and glass in my hand.

• Closer to Fine
    Closer to Fine

I can't explain why, since I didn't go, but my jw was on the phone all evening talking to friends about it being the best memorial ever!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit