Judge Rutherfords brother was very naughty.....

by sparky1 13 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• sparky1
    sparky1

Was the Judge a 'judge'? I guess you can decide for yourself after reading what was written in his obituary.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

sparky1:

Was the Judge a 'judge'? I guess you can decide for yourself after reading what was written in his obituary.

Yes, he was a stand-in for the judge a few times. State lawyers could nominate a lawyer as a stand-in if the actual judge were not available. Many lawyers of the time could make the same claim by this standard. Rutherford was a lawyer. He may even have been a good lawyer (though without a law degree). But he was not a judge in the sense implied by the nickname.
  • Earnest
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Worth a mention is that the 'California' mentioned is the name of a town in Missouri rather than a state name.

I find it a little curious the newspaper would bother to mention JF Rutherford, as if to slight the family name. Newspapers back then often had a political party affiliation. Maybe this one was was from the opposing party. I seem to recall that Rutherford, though not elected as a judge, had run for office a time or two in some capacity at the county level.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit