What's the Worst Advice You Heard of an Elder Giving Someone?

by Sea Breeze 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I believe an an elder told someone who's daughter (14 YO) became sexually active with a 26 year old in the neighborhood, that maybe they should get married. So, they did... with parental consent. He turned out to be a ex-convict who shot his first wife in the face with a shotgun. It was a nighmare. The elder owned a janatorial company. .

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

is.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Many elders have told teens to drop out of high school and pioneer, because the end is close. 🤮

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

In order to make disfellowshipping more palatable & acceptable elders would & still do tell a disciplined JW that disfellowshiping and shunning are a loving arrangement. How sick is that!

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

I heard an old fart fossil elder tell a man who was reaching out to become a servant to wait another twenty years until the hall grew in numbers and then had to split before he could be considered.

He was an ex army bully. He offered me hand to hand combat on a quick build over something unknown to me that had upset him...I accepted.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

I fellow I know well was told when his adulterous wife left him and filed for divorce that he HAD to counter-sue her or he would not be free to remarry. He did as he was told which really p---ed off his soon to be ex. So in her anger instead of just divorcing him and going off with her new partner with what property was hers she fought like a wildcat and took everything from him. All she left him with was an old car, a rented efficiency apartment, and nearly $250,000 in maxed out joint credit card debt she incurred in his name without his knowledge prior to the divorce being finalized.

Then when he took on more work to repay the debts he was soft shunned for missing meetings and low field serve us hours. That's when he left the JW's. I should have followed him out then instead of running the hamster wheel for a few years more.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

In the late '60s, a young sister in our hall was told she could not remarry because her husband had run off with his GAY lover, therefore he had not committed adultery which required someone of the opposite sex.

PS- this was from the US Bethel service desk!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I knew a (ex Sikh) Indian sister who lived with her very elderly grandmother who had raised her when her mother died and her father later remarried abroad.

Well she was seeing all her (non jw) contemporaries having arranged marriages and kids & felt left out. Her family offered to arrange a marriage for her if she wished. Naturally elders wouldn't hear of this.

Well this particular elder took offence at grandmas 'pagan' religious Indian statues & of course claimed they were interfering with the JWs spirituality & therefore her JW marriage prospects (nothing to do with lack of eligible JW lads, let alone JW Indian lads!).

So she took elders advice & moved out. Some time after the grandma collapsed and died at home alone. This girl never forgave herself & neither did her extended family.

Talk about lack of cultural sensitivity.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Where to start?

No need to reach out as the elders body (club)was full.

Sister ordered to return to her non witness husband even though he was molesting stepdaughter

The ever present anti educationn, good job, overtime crap

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

@ RonW

He offered me hand to hand combat on a quick build over something unknown to me that had upset him...I accepted.

Who won?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit