What words does your animal understand?

by JH 35 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I speak to my cat in french. She understands a few words, really.

After repeating the words and the actions at the same time, they get to understand certain words.

Does your pet understand a couple of words?

• JH
    JH

One word my cat understands is "mouche", which means fly. When there's a fly in the house, I say "mouche" and my cat looks all around on the walls to find the fly and then eats it. No need for a fly swatter.

One other word she understands is "as-tu faim" are you hungry, and then she really mews. Each time I give her food I say "as-tu faim".

With time she learned a couple of words.

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

My 5 year old Cattledog understands many commands as she does Agility. She knows the words for all the obstacles as well as directional commands. I've never counted them up but I'm amazed every time we compete how well she understands.

She came to a screeching halt in one trial when I called a Tire a Tunnel. She actually stopped and looked around for the tunnel entrance. Thats one smart dog!

• neverthere
    neverthere

My dog is obedience trained so she understands alot although she likes to pretend at times that she doesn't have a clue what I am saying, until the words such as:

Cookie

Walk

Food

Where is the baby

and Is it time to go out?

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

When I say "you want your dinner" to Blackie my dog that usually drives her mental, along with "shake it Blacks" when she has her toy in her mouth, she then goes into a death shake of whatever she's holding in her mouth. My favourite is when she's fast asleep, and I whisper (increasingly louder) "it's a cat Blacks"....she twitches until conciousness regains, and then Bang! she's awake.......LOL. She's very loyal, and always looks at me like I'm the supreme being or something even more special.... I love her.

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

I have 2 dogs. 1 Pekingese and 1 Miniature Pinscher.

The Mini Pin is dumber than a rock. I tell her all the time it's a good thing she is cute! LOL. I am digressing. Her name is Skeelo. From our limited experience with the Greek language we chose Skeelo, thinking it means "Dog". It could for all I know. haha. Anyway, for her she knows very few words compared to the Pekingese. She knows various ways of calling her: Skee, Skeeber or her rightful name of Skeelo. She knows the words for eat. She knows the words for going to bed, which is "go night night" She also responds to a snap of the finger, she then goes to her bed. Oh, I forgot, she also knows "go lay down"...she doesn't like that command.

My Pekingese is my heart. She is so sweet and way too smart for a dog. Her name is Zo'o. Again taken from the Greek meaning animal. Up until I got Zo'o I bought into the idea that animals do not reason. This dog reasons out everything. You can see on her face when she is figuring out the best way to do something. She is amazing and she has a heart of gold. She understands everything the Mini Pin knows and so much more. All I have to do is ask "where is it?" and she is running around like a crazy fool looking for a toy of hers so we can "play". I realized early on that this dog was smarter than me. Sad to say. I noticed how many things she picked up on and reacted to, so I was talking to my husband about something and I knew that there were "trigger" words involved. I thought a moment and thought that spelling the words would not trigger her. You guessed it, she understood and reacted in the same manner as if I had spoken the words outright.

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

I forgot to mention something that shows the Pekingese has a heart of gold. A few years ago I was babysitting a baby boy (Trevor). When it came time for him to start crawling my Pekingese was there to help. She got in his face and barked nicely. This excited Trevor, so he would scoot closer to Zo'o (Pekingese). As he would approach her, she would then back up and gently bark. In each step she was teaching him how to crawl. The only sad thing about this was Trevors mom never had the chance to see him crawl for the first time because she had to work.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Simon actually understands most things that I say to him

Oh you mean the furry kind... our two demented cats only understand ssshhhhhh noise if they are doing something wrong and hear that they leg it because they have been caught

• Jade
    Jade

My English Bulldog understands many words:

cookie

bedtime

outside

where's daddy?

sit

lay down

No foreign languages though

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

My two cats are pretty good at understanding me

they know

• in-in to get out of the front porch and into the house
    • down
    • up-up to come up on my lap or onto the bed
    • kitty-treat (I now have to spell the word treat if I don't want them to come running)
    • kitty-manna meaning food and I sure am glad I don't call it kitty-food. They'd never leave me alone
    • brush - to get brushed
    • peeky-out-the-window (when the window is opened or the front porch)
    • NO and they know this one very well regardless of tone

only one of them knows (the other one knows but refuses to act like a dog even if it will get him something)

• roll-over - when he is being brushed
    • get in your kitty basket (his sleep places)
    • sit pretty - to sit and beg like a dog

and the other one knows

• kiss-kiss and will come over and give me a sniff near my mouth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit