Death of a loved one and faith

by ilikecheese 12 Replies latest jw friends

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

Hey all. I haven't posted in forever and a day, but I feel like this is a great place to ask this question because of so many people who are unsure of their beliefs.

My mom was diagnosed with stage four breast cancer about four years ago. After fighting like a badass and laughing through all of the shenanigans, we lost her two days before Christmas. She had been told less then two weeks before that her liver was going to pot but they had one more chemo that could get her four to eight more months.

I was freaking devastated just thinking that she finally had an expiration date. Her doctor had always been able to find some chemo, chemo pill, or radiation that kept her going. Nonetheless, I figured, "Hey, we get another Christmas. Let's make it the best one ever. She'll get to her 60th birthday in March, too. Awesome! Maybe even one more Mothers Day." This was after our tear-filled conversation on the topic December 12th, when she was sad because "this is my last Christmas." She was dying by December 17th. They took her home on hospice December 22nd and she died December 23rd. My heart is literally in a million pieces, most of which went with her. She was my very best buddy and I wasn't ready to lose my mom in my 20s. She was only 59. My dad and she were together for 43 years, married for 41. (high school sweethearts) He is devastated. We all are. Half of it was watching her suffer through this disease just to die after such a brave effort.

Anyway, that leads me to my conundrum. I was always pretty solid in my belief in God, Jesus, and the afterlife. (I'm not a JW. I joined because my boyfriend is an unbaptized one.) Then when Mom got sick, I had to actually consider things. Where was Mom going when she was gone? Was she headed to heaven, as she staunchly believed? Mom was super religious, but in the best way that Christianity can make you. She was forgiving, loving, selfless and ALWAYS trying to make things better for everyone else. She told me that she made it her business to try to brighten everyone's day in the cancer center because she was there; she may as well bring light to those who were having a hard time. She was a patient and she was looking out for others. Mom had a heart of gold. If there is a heaven, she is SO there. I haven't met anyone more deserving of it. I like to think of the verse about whoever was last being first. Mom would be the first in line for everything.

However, when I began thinking about the afterlife and God, I realized that I didn't have any sort of proof or even really any sort of religious experience that would lead to faith. I just believed because it was what I was taught and it made sense. I knew people who had religious experiences who were sane enough that I trusted that they actually went through these things, although most people who say they have are clearly cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.

The more I thought about, the more I doubted and the more skeptical I've become. It's not that I didn't want to believe. I WANT to. I love the idea of God, Jesus, and wonderful people like my mom living on. Since Mom has passed on, I find myself wanting to believe even more that there is something, just to know that she is whole and happy after the last crappy few years of no energy, being bald, and feeling sick all the time. She wanted us to have faith, not in a pushy way, but in a loving way. I want to have faith for her. I want to have faith because I want to wholeheartedly believe in God. I want to have faith because I want to see her again.

I know a lot of you guys struggle with similar thoughts, maybe some even had it brought on by the death of someone you dearly loved. For the people who have come out the other side or those who are still unsure, can you share your thoughts? Why did you decide it was all real or all fake? Why have you still not decided? Did a death bring this struggle out even more for you? Do you think that you ever "felt" a loved one after their demise and it strengthened your faith? Talking to fundamentalists about this drives me up the freaking wall. They all just say it's the devil tempting me away or I'm a bad person to doubt God's existence. Talking to sane folks is appreciated!

• kaik
    kaik

I am so sorry about reading your post on your mom's death. I have lost two friends to breast cancer and they were just in their 40's. My dad died from cancer at age 50. He did not smoke, lived healthy lifestyle in the countryside, and cancer ravished him in matters of three months. After the cancer metastasized to his spine and brain, he was not recognizing me at all. My father studied to be JW, but he backed off from baptism and only my mom became JW. However, my father was deeply religious and he had a strong belief in afterlife. Like you I had struggle the answer if there is afterlife or resurrection. When I was in JW world, I hoped that big "A" will be right behind the corner and I will see my dad shortly after resurrection. After couple years, I had realized that all the talk about afterlife, never-ending life, and resurrection is just a myth. I have accepted that I never will see my dad, and he only lives in my memory.

• brandnew
    brandnew
    Im so....so....sorry for your loss my friend.
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Sorry for your loss. Your post resonates with love for your Mom. I too lost mine when she was 57 and it was very hard to take. It seems a bit of our own light goes out when we lose our Mothers. I wouldn't have believed it back then but it is possible to feel ok about this kind of loss and to be able to return to normal...a new kind of normal.

The topic of God and the resurrection and the reality of it all was put to the test when it happened to my Mom. It took some time but eventually I came to the conclusion that it didn't matter one way or the other right now whether or not any of it's true. I look around at the animals, plants and trees and realize that for some reason they have a limited lifespan. Maybe it's just human greed to want it to go on and on. Maybe living forever would be the worst thing ever. Maybe the fact that it is all so unclear should be a hint that we aren't supposed to know right now. I decided not to allow fear of that unknown, make me dread the future, fear what happens after we die or believe in or spread feeble anecdotes about the topic to others, just to make myself feel better.

People can argue and discuss the topic to no end but there is no way to prove any of it. The vast majority of people are simply trying to ease their discomfort in not knowing. They like to have a little story they tell themselves in the still of the night when it haunts them. They'll go to great lengths to squelch anyone who makes them think too literally and deeply on the subject.

I decided to take a wait and see attitude about the whole thing. If there is a God and if he does have good things in store for us, there's no reason I shouldn't be part of it as well.

At any rate, you'll have to trust that time will be a friend to you when dealing with this recent loss

• smiddy
    smiddy

ilikecheese ,

I`m very sorry for your loss my friend,it`s going to take time to come to grips with that ,

I would take a break on what you want to believe until you are in a more stabilized environment ,so you can make more rational deciscions to be made in a more relaxed environment .

Do not let emotions govern your decisions,

Give yourself time to reflect on your options .

smiddy

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Why did you decide it was all real or all fake?

A sad time when someone dies and someone being diagnosed with cancer and then living with it is difficult.

I still have faith that it is 'all real' and I was surprised when I came on this site and found lots don't after being a Witness.

There is someone that I know who is struggling with their faith and belief in God and I said they should speak to the elders which they did. One of the elders is quite elderly and he gave a couple of experiences in his life that helped him have faith. It didn't help much from what I was told, the person hadn't had the same experiences themselves . My experiences and my reasons I don't think will help either. I don't know if there is just one thing although sometimes I think there is.

I have always found prayer helpful.

As others have said I am sorry to hear of your loss

• transhuman68
    transhuman68
    It's extremely tough when a parent dies - you have my sympathy. You are in the ironic situation of wanting to be a person of faith like your mum; but her passing has somehow lessened your faith. You just have to let yourself grieve, and accept your feelings - life is a journey - it does get tough, and a lot of ideas & beliefs to get thrown away on the trip. You will find out what you want to know in time.
  • KateWild
    KateWild

Hi ilikecheese,

So sorry to hear about your ordeal. I can understand the willingness to believe there is a place where our loved ones go. I believe and always have since I can remember is that once you're brain dead, there are no more thoughts left and no more existence.

I believe this as I have never spoken to a dead person who is in a happy place. I have never had any supernatural experiences.

I hope you can figure this out if you need to

Kate xx

• John Free
    John Free

Thank you for sharing your moving story! I wish I was qualified to answer, but I am not. I just wish to send you my condolences.

John

• Clambake
    Clambake

I know this isn't a very popular thing to say I do like to study NDEs. I know a lot of it is fake but man there sure seems to be a lot of weird things going on out there.

Maybe I just want to believe but it gives me hope in a strange way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit