First Humans May Have Been European

by cofty 16 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

The fossil record of early hominins in Africa is very well established with patterns of later migrations into Asia and Europe. The hypothesis is sometimes referred to as "Out of Africa".

However a new paper from researchers at the University of Toronto describes two fossil specimens of an even earlier ancestor Graecopithecus freybergi who lived 7.2 million years ago, putting it close to our common ancestor with chimpanzees. Crucially these fossils were not discovered in Africa but in Greece and Bulgaria.

The team are proposing that environmental changes that led to the formation of the Sahara pushed the ancestors of Graecopithecus freybergi further North towards the Eastern Mediterranean where the chimp-human split occurred.

This hypothesis is likely to be controversial for all sorts of reasons!

Science Daily article...

Daily Telegraph ...

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Interesting find that would explain many things that we can tend to put solely down to intelligence (environmental issues for exp) Thanks for sharing. I expect that the Eastern med includes turkey. This would chime with folklore and mythology.

• cofty
    cofty
    that would explain many things that we can tend to put solely down to intelligence

Eh?

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Interesting, but perhaps a bit too early to be conclusive?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

cofty I mean cultural superiority. so many leaders of the twentieth century justified their aims by this means. It is no longer fashionable to do so.

bungi I agree but is still interesting and I am glad cofty has shared this

• cofty
    cofty
    perhaps a bit too early to be conclusive?

Yes definitely.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

...a new paper from researchers at the University of Toronto describes two fossil specimens of an even earlier ancestor Graecopithecus freybergi who lived 7.2 million years ago...

Graecopithecus freybergi is a hominid originally identified by a single mandible found in 1944. Since then analysis of tooth specimens has led to suggestions that Graecopithecus may be the oldest known direct ancestor of modern man, though the claim is contested.

What is new is the research paper from the University of Toronto, not the finding.

• cofty
    cofty

Yes that's right. It illustrates how bad a lot of science reporting is in the popular press. If you Google this story you will find plenty of journalists claiming that the fossil find is new.

• Simon
    Simon

The nuance between "new find" and "new findings" I guess?

• never a jw
    never a jw

Hell no. I have faith that the first humans came from Chihuahua, Mexico. Then later some of them cross the Atlantic to Europe. Enough of this euro-centric view that poisons everything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit