Understanding The Bible ... The "Linchpin" Effect

by Littleleslie 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Island Man
    Island Man

This day is now!

So said many a religious charlatan from 1st century till now.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Sorry I didn't reply LL, it was after midnight here.

Xanthippe
    Ok, fair enough, so you don't put any value on Jehovah God's Word, you think it is useless. I appreciate your honesty.
    I read the Bible slowly and carefully right through, a few verses at a time, took me five years. I also read portions of it over and over when I was a JW. Nothing has changed in reality even though I did all that study. People still die, some suffer horribly. No earthly Kingdom of Jehovah has arrived. How long am I supposed to wait?
    I believe that this information could be helpful for anybody who is searching for Jehovah, searching for scriptural answers from God's Word. This is for those who still believe that Jehovah will establish his kingdom, his Earthly kingdom.
    Well you can spend your life in your Bible Study group with people who are just like you, reading the same words over and over as I did. Or you can be brave, step out of your comfort zone and look at other books, different ideas.

What have you got to lose? The truth can't hurt you can it? It can be stressful I admit. Just take it slowly. Why don't you get a general book on eschatology as this interests you and start from there, look at all the beliefs people have had over the years about the coming of the Kingdom? Good luck.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm but the Bible was never written to be "The Bible".

It is just a collection of ancient texts, re-interpreted by partizan scribes for use by religious authorities in demanding control over their followers.

To believe there is any "message" in the Bible is a complete waste of time. To believe there is a missing message is approaching paranoia.

• prologos
    prologos
    Littleleslie, If he bible had this "one author", should it not be like Rubik's Cube, having some kind of central Lynch-pin, but always given the same result when handled right? a Pin with a Spin?
  • MarkofCane
    MarkofCane
    Charles Taze Russel was to many the linchpin. I spent 40 plus years of my life believing there was a special purpose associating with gods chosen people. That this chosen few the anointed was gods channel of communication to mankind. That we were unique because we had special knowledge of the future. Light bearers....... lighting the way through darkness, truth seekers over turning lies. Sounds like a snake oil pitch to me....or should I say Miracle wheat pitch.
  • ttdtt
    ttdtt

I am pretty sure Revelation also tells us who Killed Kennedy!

:)

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Nobody fully understands the Bible. All religions that use it as a guiding text cherry pick it to model their beliefs.

DY

• Simon
    Simon

Like most bible based explanations, this is nothing more than hand waving, throwing some scriptures into the mix and saying "ooooh, mystery!!!" (so no explanation for anything at all). It's just randomized gibberish.

We could quote odd sentences taken out of context from any other book to also backup any hypothesis whatsoever. For some reason though, it's only done and accepted (by some) with holy books - the explanation would be just as valid if you used Harry Potter but of course people would rightly think it was pure nuts. But because it's a "holy book" ...

Don't imagine this forum is going to be a platform to preach your nonsense. I consider bible-nonsense like this to be nothing more than spam.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

The Book of Revelation only shows me that John stuffed his hungry face with some psychedelic mushrooms which made him imagine all that batshit crazy non-sense!

DY

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Whoa! You let "Jehovah God" slip on page two of your thread?? Rookie mistake.

When I hear "Jehovah God", two things come to mind:

1) Nutball ex-JW, turned prognosticator.

2) BAC nutter who doesn't understand Hebrew.

There is no "Jehovah God", it's grammatically impossible. You blew the sale on page #2.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit